Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Ethics and Politics » This article made me mad.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: This article made me mad.
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://societypolitics.chickclick.com/articles/10868.html

Go read this. It's astonishing how gullible people can be. Read my rant at the side margin.

------------------
MASTURBATING IS NOT A CRIME

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lee
Activist
Member # 381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds to me like the pawns of the superstitious right in congress are bribing the states to lie to us.

Sex before marriage causes psychological harm? How can anyone actually sell that nonsense with a straight face? I can understand parents wanting their kids to wait till they are a little older to have sex. But what I can't understand is why deception must be used to convince us. Could it be that the reasons they want us to wait just don't hold that much water?

Ultimately the choice of how and when to have sex is our own. It always has been and nothing anyone says or does short of locking us in a closet can change this. So instead they try to manipulate the choice we make. A lie is a method of controlling another person. By controlling their information you control their conclusions and therefore their actions. So by lying to us about sex they are trying to control our decisions about it. A far better solution would be to provide thorough and accurate information. Someone who is well informed is going to make a better choice than someone who is not. But then they don't want us making choices in this area at all. Nevermind the fact that we are the only ones who can, that it is in fact our right to do so. This really demonstrates the fundamental difference between a right and a privilege. A right is a personal freedom or responsibility which is demanded and vigorously defended. A privilege is a freedom we don't demand and don't defend.

These people are supposed to be our leaders. Would you trust someone who lies to you and who bribes others to do the same? Who while supposedly representing you works to undermine your rights? Someone like that I'd rather see in prison where they can't do any harm.

Another thing that suprised me about this article was the fact that people were saying they weren't getting enough information about sex, contraceptives, STDs etc. The information is out there and available for the taking. Go to the public library, or search here online.

Don't wait for some older person with an agenda for your life to give you the facts. Knowledge is power. Knowing what's what gives you power. Not knowing gives others who do know the power. We've got enough people trying to run our lives. We don't need to help them do it by keeping ourselves in the dark.

Yes I know I'm ranting and raving but stuff like this really annoys me.

The only way evil like this can thrive is when good people don't do anything to stop it. That is the real problem, people are complacent. We've all become a society of victims willing to tolerate anything that is done to us because we believe it is hopeless to resist. The truth is that it is only hopeless if we refuse to fight.

Ok enough ranting....

Lee

Posts: 175 | From: Tempe, AZ USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
:d
It is an infuriating article.

------------------

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lintu
Neophyte
Member # 238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lintu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though I am planning on staying a virgin until I'm married, I think that teaching abstinance-only could definitely be harmful. Teens rarely listen to what the school tells them to do. Just because teachers say "don't have sex", it's not going to necessarily stop them from doing it. They might as well be taught methods of safer sex so that teen pregnancies won't be so prevalent and the spread of STDs will slow.

However, I do find some truth in the sentence that sex before marriage is psychologically harmful - but only in a few cases. I think that if someone uses their partner for sex and nothing else, it could be harmful to the one being used. But I guess if two people make the decision together, it wouldn't hurt either person's emotions. But that's just my opinion.

-Laurie-

Posts: 33 | From: Dallas, TX, USA (sometimes) | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Lintu, don't you think that similar things could happen within marriage? Sex in any relationship where one partner uses the other solely as a means of getting off would be harmful- as would the relationship as a whole- whether or not the couple were married. It's probably more psychologically harmful to teach that all sex outside marriage is harmful than it is to actually give kids a full education on the subject.

I also think that if there's people who don't feel right about having sex before marriage, then that decision should be respected, but the important thing to remember, is that it is THEIR decision- not the decision of the school or the state. They should be doing what Miz Scarlet does here- equipping people to make their own decisions that they personally feel right with, rather than forcing a decision down their throat. And not teaching them about contraception is a joke. Disease is spread through ignorance, not knowledge.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celise
Activist
Member # 196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People are going to do what they are going to do, and noone can stop them, it is so stupid for the government to be wasting so much money on a lie, they could be using this money for exucation about sex, and places and clinics to go if you need help. Its hard to believe that the governmrnt is the ones doing this.
Posts: 89 | From: Newton, NC, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HotGrrl99
Activist
Member # 105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HotGrrl99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Premarital sex causes psychological problems??? HaHaHaHa!!! No wonder why everybody is totally insane today!!! LOL!!!

[This message has been edited by HotGrrl99 (edited July 30, 2000).]

Posts: 384 | From: Malibu, California, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL
HotGrrl, you crack me up.

------------------

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I was reading this, it made me think of a lot of questions we've had in, and situations I've heard doing what I do that make a pretty strong case for sex ed being vital. Here are a few things people have thought or done that have floated past my desk:

- A grown woman who got pregnant though she was on the pill because she was inserting the pills in her vagina -- not her mmouth -- every day.
- A woman who wanted to know where to find her "egg" when it fell out of her vagina, and how to know when it did.
- The endless number of girls who were sure they were dying when they got their first periods because they had NO idea why they were bleeding.
- Men who have tried to use a condom by putting it in their partners vagina, not on their penis. Others who try and use them by putting them over their testicles as well as their penises, which, needless to say, doesn't work.
- The growing number of young women who are so uneducated about reproduction and birth control that they are six months pregnant before they realize what has happened. Worse still, some of those women who then have the baby -- ALONE -- and throw it in a rubbish bin and walk on.

I could go on. The thing is, we're a privleged bunch who have access to this information. not everyone can access or use a computer, and there are many places in the world where books on the subject are NOT in public libraries or bookstores.

Posts: 68189 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://societypolitics.chickclick.com/articles/11118.html

Look at the last bit! Yay!

------------------

Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good one, Mophead.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brava! Long live Mophead!

Posts: 68189 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HotGrrl99
Activist
Member # 105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HotGrrl99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go Mop!!
Posts: 384 | From: Malibu, California, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chickenrider
Neophyte
Member # 921

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chickenrider     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uhhhh....Lee, I won't get started into the whole thing, but you offered no statistics...you just assumed...I don't necessarily aggree with these people but statistics show that people who have sex before marrige are alot more likely to get divorced...now don't get pissed cause I don't have the actual stat and its not a quote.... And we are all constantly manipulated by people...If they teach that its ok to have sex before marrige then they are manipulating the people into doing that right? Or is it only if they agree with your view point? I'm not trying to be a jerk just open your mind...its a two way street....

quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Sounds to me like the pawns of the superstitious right in congress are bribing the states to lie to us.

Sex before marriage causes psychological harm? How can anyone actually sell that nonsense with a straight face? I can understand parents wanting their kids to wait till they are a little older to have sex. But what I can't understand is why deception must be used to convince us. Could it be that the reasons they want us to wait just don't hold that much water?

Ultimately the choice of how and when to have sex is our own. It always has been and nothing anyone says or does short of locking us in a closet can change this. So instead they try to manipulate the choice we make. A lie is a method of controlling another person. By controlling their information you control their conclusions and therefore their actions. So by lying to us about sex they are trying to control our decisions about it. A far better solution would be to provide thorough and accurate information. Someone who is well informed is going to make a better choice than someone who is not. But then they don't want us making choices in this area at all. Nevermind the fact that we are the only ones who can, that it is in fact our right to do so. This really demonstrates the fundamental difference between a right and a privilege. A right is a personal freedom or responsibility which is demanded and vigorously defended. A privilege is a freedom we don't demand and don't defend.

These people are supposed to be our leaders. Would you trust someone who lies to you and who bribes others to do the same? Who while supposedly representing you works to undermine your rights? Someone like that I'd rather see in prison where they can't do any harm.

Another thing that suprised me about this article was the fact that people were saying they weren't getting enough information about sex, contraceptives, STDs etc. The information is out there and available for the taking. Go to the public library, or search here online.

Don't wait for some older person with an agenda for your life to give you the facts. Knowledge is power. Knowing what's what gives you power. Not knowing gives others who do know the power. We've got enough people trying to run our lives. We don't need to help them do it by keeping ourselves in the dark.

Yes I know I'm ranting and raving but stuff like this really annoys me.

The only way evil like this can thrive is when good people don't do anything to stop it. That is the real problem, people are complacent. We've all become a society of victims willing to tolerate anything that is done to us because we believe it is hopeless to resist. The truth is that it is only hopeless if we refuse to fight.

Ok enough ranting....

Lee

Posts: 5 | From: Traverse City, MI, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

That wouldn't be manipulation. If the curriculum would give people the facts, and let them make their own decisions, that is not manipulation. Telling people DON'THAVESEXDON'THAVESEX is manipulation. They use lies, like that "psychological harm" lie. And I agree with Lee. The only reason they would have for doing that would be that their arguments are weak.

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.