Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » this cant be normal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: this cant be normal
Skettimon
Neophyte
Member # 52840

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Skettimon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am 20 years old, as of the third of january this year. I have horrible cramps when on my period, accompanied with nausea, vomiting, dirrahea, upset stomach, and the ability to throw up every single thing that goes down my throat. I will also bleed really heavy-and I'm only 4ft 11, weighing maybe a little over 100 lbs.

These symptoms, if not caught ahead of time, usually continue for three days at their worst. Usually, my cramps will go away, but my stomach is so messed up still that I will continue to throw up the whole day and partly into the night. This is and has been my routine for about nine years. I'm currently broke, and have been in hard times for about three years. I want birth control so bad, preferably one that would eliminate most or all of my periods. I've never been to an obgyn, never had a pap smear, nor do I even have medical insurance. I don't even know how to go about thatt.

Are my symptoms normal? And how should I go about getting bc and med insurance? My mother taught me nothing about life.

--------------------
To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before

Posts: 3 | From: kentucky | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am so sorry that you have had to deal with such horrible periods for so long.

Some people do experience really heavy periods, but there's no reason anyone should have to suffer through that. A doctor can help you find out the cause for your heavy periods, and decide on treatment options.

Sometimes, heavy periods are a symptom of something else, and treating that condition will also help with the period symptoms. Other times, no underlying cause can be found, and in those cases hormonal birth control can help ease the symptoms.

And you can get medical attention even without insurance! You'll just need to find a clinic near you, such as Planned Parenthood. Many of them even charge on a sliding scale, so you only have to pay as much as you can.

You can find a clinic online or in the phone book, or you can let us know your city or zip code and we can take a look for you.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skettimon
Neophyte
Member # 52840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skettimon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But this is normal? I bleed to much, I know I do. Sometimes its not even red, its dark brown. And I seriously soak through pads within an hour to three hours. Its ridiculous. I should've mentioned this earlier, but it really does mess with my body so bad, and my cramps are so horrible, that I can't keep pills such as advil or tylenol down. Midol has never worked, and actually, the only thing that does work is weed-I smoke bowls to the face and all my pain just disappears. I can actually eat, although once the stuff wears off I end up throwing the food back up.

This has been going on for so long, that I'm seriously thinking about getting a histerectomy. I hate my periods, and they ruin my life. I've gotten it christmas three times-and I either had to stay home or sit in the bathroom all night at my aunts. I can't stand it anymore. Ill look up the clinics myself. Thank you, though for your response.

--------------------

Posts: 3 | From: kentucky | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The symptoms you have described suggest that something is wrong here, absolutely.

Hysterectomy would be the last recourse for something like this, both because of your age and because it presents its own issues and problems.

What you'll need to do is start by having a healthcare provider begin a thorough investigation into all of these symptoms, and to begin with some tests. Leaping so something like a radical hysterectomy before even seeing a doctor about this is...well, quite a leap. Most likely, you can get treatment that is a lot less invasive and has far fewer of its own problems and get some relief.

If you don't have insurance, have you applied yet for public health in your state? If not, I'd start there. You may also be able to get other state assistance, like with food, to help you through the rough financial spot you're in.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skettimon
Neophyte
Member # 52840

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skettimon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mother used to say she had issues that were similar to mine, but they stopped when she got older. And actually, yesterday I started, but the pain was actually bearable. So I don't know what's going on there, but I wonder if that also means there's something wrong.

Ill look into what you talked about. But how do you sign up for public health? Should I look online?

--------------------

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the webpage from your state about applying for medicaid: http://chfs.ky.gov/dms/Eligibility.htm

This page provides information about all the kinds of public assistance your state offers: http://www.assistance.ky.gov/

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ES
Neophyte
Member # 95554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ES     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Older post, but whatever.

First off, I know EXACTLY where you're coming from.

Find a good doctor willing to work WITH you. If you feel the tests they're running aren't telling you anything, demand another. If they decline, find another doctor. Let's remember Fran Dresher (The nanny). She KNEW something was wrong with her body and saw doctor after doctor who all told her she was crazy! She ended up having endometrial cancer, which is really rare.

I started my period just before 12. I've ALWAYS had periods so severe that I threw up constantly and cramped the week before, the week of and the week after my period. It was so bad, I had to miss 3 weeks of school. There was hardly any blood, a panty liner would last me 24 hours if I left it on. I was constantly in the ER delirious due to pain and they'd give me a morphine drip for an hour and send me out. It helped temporarily, but I wanted to be normal!

I broke down and saw an OBGYN. I saw 2 DOZEN in 2 years. Anyways, I had FULL MONTHLY pelvic exams (bimanual, rectal, rectovaginal, STD testing) and they all came back negative. I demanded something else be done after 18 years. So we did ultrasounds. In 5 months, I had 10 painfully-rough transvaginal ultrasounds and 10 rough abdominal ultrasounds.

I demanded a pelvic laparoscopy, but was given what was supposed to be a CT scan (I didn't know it equated 100 Xrays until much later). Instead of a pelvic CT scan, they scanned my entire body looking for any signs that I was crazy (they all thought my pain was in my head!). Nothing was found except for the fact that I was born with 1 kidney.

I saw a kidney nephrologist and HE told me to LEAVE obgyn's because they had made almost $100,000 just by seeing me each month for 2+ years and were using me to get more money! He also told me that they were lying to me when they said I'd never have kids. I'm also currently 16 weeks pregnant!

Anyways, I later found out through research that what I had was Endometriosis. Turns out, my pain was NOT in my head! Not only that, but I found a GENERAL PHYSICIAN willing to "test out" my cramps and did a fetal monitor on me during my period and she was beyond shocked. She gave me a heavy-narcotic for a while, but my insurance stamped her out when they found.

Again, find a dr you're comfortable with. It makes ALL the difference. If they don't believe you, you need to leave. If they don't listen, you've gotta go.

Please take my above story as a warning. I had BAD doctors and not all doctors are this way. In fact, I LOVE my current OB. I only dislike his wanting to induce me when I hit 40 weeks because I know the guess date (due date) is wrong and I don't want to risk a preterm baby.

Posts: 4 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.