Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » sports makes attractive

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sports makes attractive
melissa87
Neophyte
Member # 49515

Icon 6 posted      Profile for melissa87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!!!!
You know, I've read some topics. And I wonder, why don't you, ladies, think just over, how you can make yourself more attractive for the guys. Everyone can seat on the chair or on the sofa, making just nothing and waiting that something change some day. I can give you a piece of advise: if you don't like your appearance, just look in the internet some make-up tutorials, watch some fashion TV shows. If you don't like your body, just go to sport. It will make you more organazed, bring you in a good form and help you to get rid of some kilos. You will like your body in some time, you will like your style and appearance. Choose some unusual kind of sport, like rafting or parkour. That will make you much more interesting for the other people. And you will feel like you are the queen. I do rafting for example, that is why I have many new friends now and I'm just unusual for the guys. I do my sport in Germany, and can advise the following page.
You can find in the internet something interesting not far from you.

[edited to remove link, but the response to this spam was so good, I went ahead and left the original post up. - HC]

[ 11-05-2010, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

Posts: 3 | From: Germany, Hannover | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilstrawberry
Activist
Member # 39129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for evilstrawberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi.

I have to say, I'm a little confused and slightly offended by this, though I'm sure that was not your intent. While there are some people who may be discontent or uncomfortable with their bodies, amending this has more to do with learning to love and accept oneself and focus on health and wellbeing rather than surface appearance, and Scarleteen has always seemed to stress that.

Second, even if someone has a personal desire to change the way they look, this should be for themselves, and NOT to "make yourself more attractive for the guys." This was the bit where I got offended, since your wording is very much implying that looking good to guys is a female priority. Honestly, I personally could not be bothered with makeup or working out just for the sake of looking good, and I'm doing just fine with self-image.

While sports can be certainly be a good way of keeping in shape, I don't think anyone should pursue one just to change themselves or to appear interesting to other people. It's great that you have found sports to be a valuable part of your life, but making the blanket statements you made about "ladies" are frankly presumptuous and more than a little sexist. What about guys, by the way? They can't want to look good or lose weight? Appear interesting and attractive to women? why is this catered towards females? Also, couldn't a female want to look attractive to another female?

I also have an issue with you seeming to stress and underlying idea that a person (female's) self worth and reason to feel good about oneself if rooted in approval of other people and outwardly appearances. This is just a really negative thing to convey, even if that was not your intent. I've linked you to some articles where scarleteen has touched on some of these issues. I'd suggest you read over them so you can perhaps understand why how some of the things you said can be offensive and perpetuate some downright harmful notions.

Seven Ways to Love Your Body

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/body/life_lessons_from_the_third_stall_on_the_left

Posts: 117 | From: U.S. | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.