Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help!
borghese
Neophyte
Member # 49188

Icon 9 posted      Profile for borghese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, this is a post-secondary related issue.

I have a hard time focusing on doing homework. I mean, I really am having a lot of trouble getting motivation to finish it unless there is a quickly approaching deadline. I prepare to start, get everything ready and then I just can't go through with it. I am a writer in college by the way. I have read books that talk about fear of writing but they haven't helped. I want to overcome this. I want to be able to finish my homework before the due date. I want to live a more relaxed life and have time to hang out with friends...Instead I have to dedicate entire days to doing homework and I'm lucky if 2 hours of them are productive...help please...I need some advice...I feel so lonely and sad. I have no time...how do people organize their lives so efficiently...

p.s. and it's not just homework...why can't I just finish things? I start projects and have goals...and never can seem to finish them off. Why?? WHY!! How can help myself...

[ 10-17-2010, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: borghese ]

Posts: 35 | From: CA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you're at college, borghese, have you seen a guidance counselor yet? They're really the very best people to approach with this kind of thing. I promise you that you're not the only one who doesn't know how to work efficiently, and a guidance counselor can give you some pointers towards managing your time more efficiently. Some colleges even offer workshops or courses on time management.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTasteOfPurple
Activist
Member # 43186

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheTasteOfPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just going to toss out a bunch of ideas, in case any of them resonate with you.

You say you're a writer in college. Did you choose writing because it's something you really enjoy? (If yes, good for you! If not and you're trying to do something you're not passionate about, that might be why it's not getting done.)

Have you tried setting up an accountability buddy system with a friend or classmate? That means you tell each other what your goals for the week are (or the day, or every other day; whatever check-in schedule you're most comfortable with); then, the next time you check in with them, they'll ask whether or not you've accomplished those goals. If you know anybody else who feels the same way you do (which I'm willing to bet you do, even if they don't say so!) that might be a viable route.

And, have you tried breaking your projects up into smaller parts? Such as "Today I'm going to spend one and a half hours working on my outline for this paper," or a word count goal for a rough draft?

I've found doing homework, or cleaning, or learning any skill, is much easier to do when I set aside a small chunk of time for it daily than if I set aside a whole day. And it doesn't have to be one discrete lump: I can do a half hour in the morning, a half hour in the afternoon, and a half hour in the evening, and get MORE done than if I'd decided I was going to do one and a half hours at a time. Most neurotypical people's brains tend to run on several simultaneous tracks, so it's easier to multitask, or do something for a short time several times, than do something for a long time.

Also, this is going to sound crazy, but have you tried taking up a hobby--juggling, for example, or playing music, or drawing? Or did you have hobbies in high school that you dropped in college because you didn't have time? Maybe if you do something that relaxes you and that you enjoy, that you can do a little of daily, it might help stimulate your creativity and productivity more than if you assign all of your free time to "should-do-this"s. Plus, I've noticed that when I feel productive, I get more stuff done; so, for example, if the dishes need doing, and I go do the dishes, I might go clean my room or write; whereas, if I let them sit, and I feel guilty for not doing them, I'm more likely to sit in front of the computer screen all day doing nothing-in-particular.

I know a lot of people who procrastinate. Some people do it better than others, and manage to procrastinate productively. One of my friends purposely goes and socializes on Saturday because he knows that he won't be able to focus on his homework on Sunday unless he gets his procrastination out of the way first.

[ 10-18-2010, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: TheTasteOfPurple ]

--------------------
Julia

The highest result of education is tolerance. -Helen Keller

Posts: 50 | From: Halfway down the California coast | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
borghese
Neophyte
Member # 49188

Icon 1 posted      Profile for borghese     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow thank you to both of you! That was really helpful. I'm going to take your advice. I appreciate it so much. I need to do a lot of thinking.
Posts: 35 | From: CA | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sherlocklovesmuffins
Neophyte
Member # 51381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherlocklovesmuffins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you getting distracted? Try doing your work in a less distracting place, like a library than at home. Also like TheTasteOfPurple said working in smaller sections can make it easier. Do 30 minutes of work then go on facebook for 15 minutes, do an hour of work watch a 30 minute TV show. Try getting motivated like: If I work on the project all morning I can go bowling with my friends tonight.

--------------------
Knock on the sky and listen to the sound.

Posts: 13 | From: The Milky Way Galaxy | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.