Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Sports in college?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sports in college?
STRAWBERRYF13LDS
Neophyte
Member # 37368

Icon 5 posted      Profile for STRAWBERRYF13LDS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what to do. I've played 3 varsity sports since my freshman year of high school, but when it came down to applying to college, I wanted to focus on my major and not what division or sport they offer like several of my friends. Now that I've decided on a school, there is the option of doing a club sport or varsity sport. I've talked to the coach, and she is more than willing to take me on her team...

Now, two things:
1) I'm afraid I'll be better off playing club since its not really a commitment and I can fully focus my time into school
2) I'm afraid I'll be so bored and have so much free time that I'll regret never playing a varsity sport for the school

What should I pick?

Posts: 4 | From: london | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As someone who plays a varsity sport in college, I strongly advocate playing, but only if you are willing to dedicate the time.

Club sports are great in that they allow people to play who A) just want to have fun, and/or B) who still want to play but just don't have the time to dedicate to playing a varsity level sport.

It also depends on the division the school you're going to plays in. I'm tranferring next year to a smaller school that plays in two small-school conferences, and will continue to play varsity soccer there, but where I'm at now is a D1, and we traveled all over the east coast this past season. You tend to miss lots of class for extended periods of time OR you are gone on the weekends for games and don't get that time for homework, and if you aren't the organized type or have taken on a fuller course load, you might have a hard time keeping up (most schools don't considered sports practice as an excused absence from class, either). If you are going to play for a smaller school that isn't entered into a big division, than a varsity sport might work out better for you, as competition tends to be closer and away games aren't as far away.

Keep in mind, you can try both. If you play club the first year and find you have more time than you though, go out for varsity the next year.

[ 04-30-2008, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: JamsessionVT ]

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just joined a community soccer league. I didn't play in college, but i started playing with people who played college intramurals. If you just lvoe the game, that's all you need. NCAA sports (I went to a big school, so my perspective may be skewed) seemed to be the domain of scholarship students whose primary purpose really seemed to be sports (maintaining grades was secondary).

Just with the time i spent studying, i don't see how you'd be bored with only a club sport to play. If you get bored, join other clubs or take more classes. somehow, i doubt this'll be necessary, though.

--------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.