Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » School's hard now!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: School's hard now!!
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At my 6th form, further maths is a separate group from regular maths of 7 people. So of course it's the 7 best mathematicians in the Warwick area. (Did anyone notice I counted myself there? I'm so up myself. [Big Grin] )
Anyway, this means the standard is quite high, and I made an absolute prat of myself in the 1st lesson by getting the most basic calculations for a graph wrong.
I have 2 different teachers for maths, and it seems all my good work comes for one of them, and I screw up in the other one's lesson. What should I do?

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't quite get what you were talking about. Do you have like 2 math classes : one that is regular and another one that is more advanced ? If so, are you bad marks in the more advanced class ? (It seems logic that way right ?)

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I took Maths and Further Maths, but if you take both they just combine them, you have the same group for both and the same difficulty for both. What I'm worried about is that I've made a really bad first impression and I don't know how to reverse that.

--------------------
“In a strange room, before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are filled with sleep you never were. I don’t know what I am. I don’t know if I am or not... how often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.”

Posts: 1269 | From: London, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay. I know what you're talking about. I took a similar class myself.

Really you learn from your errors. It's past and you can't change what happened unless you get a second chance of redoing the exam. Don't be bother that you gave them a wrong impression. Really, I bet this went wrong for some other people too. I know how you feel.

And this really doesn't mean you won't be good next time. Really not. We don't relly on a failed test to predict how the rest of the year will be. I know people who had so much problems in maths and a few years later, they became one of the best in maths, they were getting high scores.

Each time you fail is an opportunity to learn, remember.

Ask yourself what might be the reason to your bad mark. Is it because you didn't study a lot, because it was a new classes and didn't quite knew what kind of work they were asking for ? Sometimes, it just takes some time to adjust to a new environment or a new type of class.

Or, it can simply be because you didn't really were in the mood at that time or were disturbed by something else, maybe that's just due to the circumstances.

Just ask yourself why this might have went wrong and try to change that next time. But this might take some weeks or exams before you become accustomed to the new environment, this takes time sometimes but don't desperate.

And remember something : failing once doesn't mean you'll fail again next time !

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Aww, thanks.
Actually, the reason is that it was last period on Friday, and since vending machines were banned recently in the UK, I couldn't get any coffee for a caffeine boost! I'm still adjusting to having to get up at 5:45 in the morning.
It wasn't actually a test, I just got some Year 5 (4th grade) calculations for a graph wrong. Very embarrassing.

--------------------

Djuna
Activist
Member # 29269

Things got worse then better. First, me and my friend were working on some homework set by this same teacher earlier in the day. We didn't understand one of the questions. Well at my old school, it was acceptable to interrupt a teacher's lesson discreetly if you needed to ask them something, provided they weren't speaking to the class when you went in, and you excuse yourself for interrupting.
Anyway, turns out that's not how it works now. He wasn't impressed to say the least. [Eek!]
Well then today I had a clarinet lesson, and although I arranged it as much during break as possible, it overlapped into his lesson by about 10 minutes. :eek:again! I was really shocked though - he said he appreciated that I'd got it as much during break as I could. So guess he's just a bit weird and unpredictable. [Smile]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.