Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Opinion On Deserters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Opinion On Deserters
CMTFlovesHAH
Activist
Member # 12774

Icon 5 posted      Profile for CMTFlovesHAH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to know others opinions on people going into the military and no matter if the reason they deserted was because of failing to adapt to military life or running away from the front lines. What do others think about going AWOL/Deserting from the military?

You see my fiancé went AWOL from the military in early October. He went because he wanted money to go to college. He had no problems doing boot camp, but he missed being away from me very much. He had anxiety attacks and was put on Paxil, he did not do well at all on the Paxil. It was not the medication for him to be taking. He tried talking to the Liazon, the Sergeants, and even clergymen at the base. No one could do anything. So one day he walked out, seriously just walked out.

Last week some jerks from the high school his sister goes to saw him at a store with me and called the police. When you go AWOL/Desert from the military a federal warrant for your arrest is out there in the police system. I went nuts that night. They just took him away from me to holding in jail. He stayed there for about 48 hours. Then by the grace of God, he called me and told me that the military base was not going to come and get him, instead they were releasing him for that night from jail and the military was putting him on a plane to the base. So at 4:30am in the morning there we were at the airport, but his flight was canceled and he could not get anyone at the base on the phone. He got another flight, which was for that afternoon and that was canceled as well because of weather. He did keep contacting the base of the cancellations. Then he got a flight at 7:21pm Christmas Eve. He is at the base now being processed. This has been a horrible thing to go through. He will be getting an other than honorable discharge and it can be upgraded to honorable in 6 months. He Loves me and I Love him, and we would do anything for each other. Heck, I was the one to drive 10 hours straight to pick him up that night when he walked off the base.

But again what are others opinions on military deserters?

I fear that someone one day will hear about what has happened to him and hurt or kill him.

You see one of the flight cancellation days we were at the mall getting dinner and we saw the actual guy that called the police on him there. My fiancé just wanted to talk to him and the guy got very defensive like, "Do you want to take this outside?" Take what outside, he was just talking to this guy. Then the guy walked off and called my fiancé a pussy. I am scared. Should I be?

------------------
"That'll put some marzipan in your pie plate, Bingo!" - Buffybot

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Posts: 76 | From: NC, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(I'm actually going to move this to "It's All About You," because it's not related to sexuality in any way.)

But, hey, if you want my simple take, it's pretty easy. I've been strongly anti-military my whole life,for a thousand different reasons, from pacifism issues to classism, so I've got no problem whatsoever with people getting the heck out for ANY reason.

But no, I don't think you need to worry about your safety right now, unless your spider-sense is really tingling.

Posts: 67145 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not have a high opinion of deserters.

When you join the military, you sign a contract. You agree to abide by their rules and work for them. You know that by virtue of being in the military, you may be called for duty in times of conflict.

If you cannot deal with any of these clauses, then you don't sign the paper.

If you breach the contract (or ANY contract), then you better be prepared to deal with the consequences.

Yes, getting paid is an appealing thing. But there are plenty of avenues of financal aid available (grants, low-interest loans, and so forth). Can't afford Stanford just yet? Community college classes are cheap. Around here it's low as $11 per unit.

so sorry, I don't exactly sympathize with the situation.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CMTFlovesHAH
Activist
Member # 12774

Icon 9 posted      Profile for CMTFlovesHAH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry you feel that way. I know I asked for opinions and thank you. You just made me sad, and a little scared now.

------------------
"That'll put some marzipan in your pie plate, Bingo!" - Buffybot

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Posts: 76 | From: NC, USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.