Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » a little rant posty

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a little rant posty
~You*Know*Who~
Activist
Member # 1412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~You*Know*Who~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay...I had to go to a pep assembly today...ya' okay...not my perverbial cup of tea...but a couple of my friends are cheerleaders and I know a nice guy on the football team, so I figured it would be better than usual, right? WRONG!

Okay. First of all our school dress code prohibits wearing anything bearing mid-drifts, speggeti (sp?) straps, you know, the usual. Well, it is not enforced for everyone, there are double standards.

So the cheerleaders get done (Go Friend! did good by the way) and the dance team comes out, and the outfits they have on are, to say the least, middrift bearing, they cut off right below the boobs. so then they start danceing, like tramps, to the song "smack your bitch up" by prodigy. they editied out "Bitch" in the song, but you just knew what word was there. This is school. I didnt especially want to see this. But thats not why is pissed me off.

If I wore anything like the dance team wore to the pep assembly, I would get suspended. This is a school team, and their outfits were against school dress code. And Im just so pissed.

Sorry about the rant...

Posts: 252 | From: somwhere, usa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it bothers you, why not say something to your school's administration? It might be helpful to have some like-minded people with you, too.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost
Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with what you've mentioned is that there is a heavy dose of apples and oranges.

The types of clothing (spaghetti-straps, etc) that the school has banned really have no essential purpose. It would be just as easy (if not easier) to throw on a t-shirt and some jeans as it would to put on a tiny top that bares the midriff. You could do that every day for years and be fine. There really isn't any inherent reason that one would need to wear the prohibited articles of clothing, and for that reason the school can get away with banning them.

Contrast that with the sorts of attire that cheerleaders wear. The midriff-baring tops that members of the pep squad don are as much a tradition as they are a result of fuctionality. Same goes for basketball jerseys, teeny running shorts (that made my life hell in Cross Country and Track), and skin-tight wrestling outfits that would never be permitted during instructional hours.

There is a pretty clear difference in the two types of clothing, and that difference is the purpose. Athletic jerseys and uniforms have their place, and that is on the playing field. There are reasons why they are designed the way they are, and their functionality dictates that schools tend to let them be. Spaghetti-strap dresses, however, don't serve any meaningful purpose and are therefore more apt to get the proverbial axe.

So by all means, speak to your school about it if you feel this double standard is offensive. But don't expect too much from 'em.

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," PBOM

Beware the naked man who offereth you his pants.

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few parents and well, me and my big mouth, made the fuss about the double standard once. y'know what that got us? Cheerleading uniforms that complied with the dress code. It also put short sleeves on my tennis uniform (dress code stated NO bare shoulders). We didn't have a wrestling team, so that was no big deal. I think the cross country runners had shorts, but not running briefs.

I'm gonna have to argue with BruinDan a li'l and say that in most cases you can be dress-code compliant and still play well. Exceptions obviously include if a burqa is part of your dress code. but you get the point. Okay, I wished my uniform could've been a sleeveless polo top and shorts, but my serve is just as awe-inspiring (it really is, i have a great serve) in a T-shirt, short sleeves and all

It was a pyrrhic victory for me to see the cheerleaders have to wear a tanktops uner their uniforms to cover their belly buttons, though. If my friends couldn't wear midriff tops, then they shouldn't either. That, and I don't really like cheerleaders. but that's beside the point

Anyway, you-know-who, if you want uniform (no pun intended) enforcement of the dress code, then talk to the dean in charge of discipline at your school, or bring it up at the school board meeting.

------------------
Universal Law #4721: Any joke can be made funnier with the word "goatf**ker." Corollary, any story can be made more entertaining by adding a few ninjas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~You*Know*Who~
Activist
Member # 1412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~You*Know*Who~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The main reason I was mad was becasue the song "smack my bitch up" was a a little inappropriate for a pep-assembly and The shirts were shorter than necessary. thats all.
Posts: 252 | From: somwhere, usa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.