Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Work experience

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Work experience
mini_minx
Activist
Member # 11076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mini_minx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone,
I have to choose what to do for my work experience soon but i just have no ideas on what to do. I was just wondering what you guys did on yours, (if you did it) or maybe if you could suggest anything that i could do. I'm open to all suggestions!

Posts: 88 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the point of work experience is for you to *experience* what the realities of your chosen occupation is. And if you haven't chosen one (which is often the rule, not the exception!), make a list of jobs that you are interested in. Anything that you could on day see yourself doing, or that falls within your fields of interests.

Like travelling? Try working at an airport of travel agency.

Interested in the outdoors? Spend a week tailing a park ranger, or work a nursery. You get the idea.

Me, I am a classically trained musician, and am working towards becoming a music therapist. My first round of work experience was shadowing a music therapist at a major hospital.

My whole family is in medicine, so I also did stint at a pharmacy, but that wasn't so great, because it wasn't really what I was interested in. It has got to be something you want to do.

Another time I did work experience at a radion station (now, that was fun!), which was closer to my interests.

So, make up your list, and think of all the jobs you could do. If it helps, perhaps come back here and tell us your interests, and we'll gladly throw up some ideas for you.

Rose-Anne

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roziline
Activist
Member # 11078

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roziline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i agree with rose-anne. Im taking my work experience in a couple of years. It is important that you enjoy your time. Because It won't last forever.

Just sort out in your head

a) your skills
b) your interests
c) what you want to do

then see what the outcome is. In my county we have careers advisors. Check out you local one... it could help!

------------------
Rosie
the girl dreams are made of =)

Posts: 68 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.