Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Round the World...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Round the World...
insatiablesmiles
Activist
Member # 6228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for insatiablesmiles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all!!
long absence from a big fan of Scarleteen...mainly cuz i [luckily] haven't had any sexual problems and [unfortunately] haven't been having much sex...
anyway. on to my point.
I'm heading off on a round the world trip at the beginning of March, starting off in the US for nearly 3 months. I've been before...but i wanna know what other Scarleteeners think i should see/do, and where i should go. i have a plan, starting on the Eastern seaboard, working south, via new orleans etc, to arizona, vegas, california and up to seattle and Vancouver...
but any suggestions of 'off the beaten track' things, and insider information?

i'm so excited!

oodles of love to you all,
ruthi

------------------
- you think you're the only one who's sexually frustrated?
- well come on baby , i'm ready!

[ american beauty ]

http://thebitch.mustbehere.com

Posts: 100 | From: london, england | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're planning on Van, detour a couple of hours and check out 2 things (both in different directions)

a) the interior of BC. ie: The Shuswap area. It's full of fruits and such, and they make Canadian ice wine there. Beautifula nd hot.

b) the rainforest of Van Island.

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
definitely wander around the Las Vegas strip. and then find the outlet malls and go shopping. Vegas has pretty low sales tax and stuff is good and cheap. If you are under 21 (i am assuming you are, but please correct me if I'm wrong because that'll enable me to tell you how to have a *really* good time), hit Circus Circus for the cheapest and best variety of carnival games on the Strip. New York New York and Startosphere have great roller coasters. Cæsar's Palace has some decent shopping if you like buying high fashion-type stuff.

If you visit San Francisco, here are some places to visit:

Haight Street (hippies and stuff, Amoeba Records is on the end of the street and it is a record shopper's paradise)
Golden Gate Park
Drive south on the Golden Gate Bridge, then on your way down, drive down Lombard Street
SFMOMA (the art museum is awesome)
The Castro (it's the gay district, great restaurants, btw)
Union Square
Fisherman's Wharf
Ghiradelli Square
and get dim sum in Chinatown

------------------
According to the experts, I am some species of badass.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about Toronto?!

Anywhere downtown Toronto ... man, i love that place All the lights and people everywhere ... It's great! And any kind of food you could possibly imagine, all w/i walking distance. The multiculturism in that city is just amazing ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you really going around the world, or is it more like you're taking a three-month trip to North America?

If you're going around the world, then I suggest you try your best to get to Brazil (seems to me that South America is the continent that gets the least attention, for some reason). I was there a few years ago, and I loved it. I want to go back. I was in Sao Paulo, and it was fantastic. I only wish I'd been able to get to Rio, which my folks tell me was even better. Other than that, I can't recommend much.

If it's just North America that we're talking, on the other hand, I'd say that you should try and get to Montreal, as well. It is to Canada what New Orleans is to the United States. Come during the summer, though, during the top-notch jazz or comedy festivals that we have here.

If it's winter while you're in Canada, see a hockey game, preferably Les Canadiens (hockey's Manchester United) here in town.

------------------
"And when I'm gone, she'll never leave me. No, no she'll never, be untrue. And buddy if you do not believe me, you don't believe the sky is blue."
-Joel Plaskett, Down at the Khyber

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, nifty.

A while back my family and I went whitewater rafting in North Carolina and it was just awesome. Definitely try it if you can -- no experience necessary.

Asheville, NC is also a city I cannot wait to go back to. It seemed to be a very friendly place -- they were even kind to my obviously-tourist family -- with a lot of fun stuff to do. I didn't get to do much exploring but there was a weekly jazz festival (I think that may have been a summer-only thing) that was worth returning for in and of itself.

Enjoy yourself!

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL don't go see the Canadiens!
Go see the top team in the NHL! Ottawa Sens! We're a mere 2 hours away, and financially, we need all the tickets sold we can get

If you limit yourself to just Van in Can (lol i made a rhyme) you're missing out on a lot.

If you're up on *our* east coast, try checking out a shark contest. Fishermen go out and fish for the biggest shark they can get, and they weigh them in the square and then sell off the meat, with a lot of the proceeds going to charity. It's really neat.

And the Calgary Stampede is always fun ( Go pancake breakfasts!

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When visiting Seattle, be sure to stop at Starbucks for REAL coffee. Also, The Experience Music Project is worth a look. It's $15 for student. Spend a day at the Science Center and go see something on the Boeing Imax. If you hurry, you can see the Lion King. Take the monorail to Westlake for some shopping.

Ride the Ducks through downtown. Go to the Seattle Art Museum. Visit the Boeing Museum of Flight. Visit the Museum of Industry. Take a run through Gas Works park. Take tour of the Underground (Seattle's streets where originally about 10 lower...There was a big fire or something and they raised the street level).

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, that's AWESOME, insatiablesmiles! I totally love that idea. You're gonna have a blast!

I'd definitely say that if you're gonna be in New Orleans to go grab some beignets ("ben-yays") and coffee/hot chocolate. It's cold down there (erm, atleast for me) in January, but really fun. I'll do some more research on this later.

Must go to bed!

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insatiablesmiles
Activist
Member # 6228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for insatiablesmiles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dzu - yep i am really going round the world-ish. Brazil is already in there, Australia, New Zealand, Japan.
thanks for all the cool responses! i dunno how much of Canada is going to be do-able cuz my Greyhound pass isn't valid there, i may leave it for another trip and do it all properly...
Also i want to visit a toys in babeland [is that the right name?], are they in NY and San Francisco?

-ruthi
xx

Posts: 100 | From: london, england | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babygurl13
Neophyte
Member # 10363

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babygurl13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If going to:
Philadelphia Pennsylvania
- Franklin Institute
-Center City
-Eastern State Penn (one of my most favorite places in the world though i do issue a warning its huanted)
-Art Museum
-the Philadelphia Zoo(another favorite spot)
-Edgar Allan Poes house

Tucson Arizona
-the race track
-Pima County Air and Space Museum (another Fave)
- there is a small town outside of Tucson to the south called Vail really good spot to get an idea of what a "wild west" desert looks like there is also a castle on top of a very small mountain/hill you cant go up to it cuz its privately owned but it makes for a very beautiful picture especially early in the morning or at sunset
-also something to do is go 4 wheeling down Lemon mountain

thats all i know of though

Have fun!

Also in Philadelphia youve gotta go to South Street! very freaky but very fun to be there lots of unusual shops Condom Kingdom, gothic shops, Candle shops, naturistic shops, Zipperhead, Much better during the night but also fun in the day

------------------
The mind is like a parachute, it only works if it's open - Steven Tyler

[This message has been edited by babygurl13 (edited 01-21-2003).]

Posts: 32 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by insatiablesmiles:
Dzu - yep i am really going round the world-ish. Brazil is already in there, Australia, New Zealand, Japan.

Where in Australia are you planning to visit? If you don't know yet, I would suggest Sydney, maybe Melbourne and the Gold Coast (all on the East Coast). Any time you start to venture over to the West Coast, the price tends to get very high. But Sydney and the Gold Coast have some great attractions

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
insatiablesmiles
Activist
Member # 6228

Zanney - yup Australia-wise it's Melbourne, Cairns, Sydney. i've been to the 2 latter before, but will definitely enjoy going again, and the friend i'm travelling with hasn't been at all.
Babygurl - i read about Tucson, and Vail, i reckon it'll be Tucson in Arizona as opposed to Phoenix which just sounds like a big sprawl - no offence to anyone who lives there, just it doesn't sound ideal without a car.

thanks again guys, and keep posting if you come up with more!!

-ruthi

------------------
- you think you're the only one who's sexually frustrated?
- well come on baby , i'm ready!

[ american beauty ]

http://thebitch.mustbehere.com

Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't get over how fun that sounds! I definitely want to do something like that when I turn...well when I have enough money.

Are you going to be solely in America for 3 months, or for 3 months on the whole trip?

<clarity>

[This message has been edited by Daydreamer24 (edited 01-22-2003).]

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zanney:

...I would suggest Sydney, maybe Melbourne and the Gold Coast (all on the East Coast). Any time you start to venture over to the West Coast, the price tends to get very high. But Sydney and the Gold Coast have some great attractions

Mmmm...Surfer's Paradise...The Pacific something or rather is a shopping center. It's so big, it has two levels and street signs.

Uh. O'Reillys Rainforest is stunning. I'd highly recommend it. And try some Kangaroo Jerky. It's really really good. They serve 'roo burgers in the Hard Rock Cafe Sydney, too.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.