Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Counseling Experience?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Counseling Experience?
Thallia
Neophyte
Member # 2431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thallia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all!

I hope this is the right place to post this, but I'm interested in getting into genetic counseling. The programs I'm interested in all require a year of one-on-one counseling experience or crisis intervention. Thing is...I really have no idea where to go about getting this.

They mentioned volunteering at Planned Parenthood, but I checked their website and all they have are abortion counselor volunteer positions in my area. That would be fine, except I think I'd feel guilty counseling people about having abortions or not. Anyways, if you all know of anywhere to look for this kind of experience, I'd appreciate it!!

[This message has been edited by Thallia (edited 11-14-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Thallia (edited 11-14-2002).]

Posts: 17 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... you could always look into what type of crisis hotlines are available in your area and volunteer. I'm not sure how applicable that is, but it's always a possiblity.

Also, if you're in college, or if there's a college in your area, you could look into programs that they might offer for the student body.

------------------
Tim
Scarleteen Advocate

I am not Dr. Freud, nor is he on staff. The talking cure this ain't.

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very good friend of mine is working in the genetic counseling field right now. We graduated together, and she was fortunate enough to find an opening at a fertility clinic in Palo Alto, California. It's basically only a small step up from an internship, she doesn't make much money doing it, but gains the experience necessary to help her along that path. Soon she will begin Graduate School (which she tells me is a must for genetic counselors), and once that is polished off she'll be able to find full-time employment in that field.

I remember reading some of the science journals she had to study before an exam, and it was all Greek to me. So more power to ya for taking interest in such a complex and interesting field! Try poking around local fertility clinics and see what sort of things they offer there. Perhaps you can find something nearby that will allow you to whet your appetite a bit. Good luck!

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three"

"Battery Stolen; Youth Charged"

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vball girl12
Activist
Member # 8238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vball girl12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my best friends is also interested in genetic counseling, and she volunteers at a domestic violence crisis center, where women who are being abused can call in and have someone counsel them over the phone. The only drawback to volunteering at this place (I looked into volunteering here at one time also), is that it requires 40 hours of training before being allowed to volunteer--however, I'm sure that not all places require that much training.
Posts: 46 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, 40 hours is 1) not really a lot, and 2) pretty standard. The training can be helpful in other areas of your life, too. I would take the opportunity if you get it, and not worry about the training part - you'll need every bit of it!

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Ooh, I'll settle down with some old story/About a boy who's just like me/Thought there was love in everything and everyone, you're so naive!"-Belle and Sebastian, "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.