Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Teachers on Strike

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Teachers on Strike
thisonecanbe
Activist
Member # 10445

Icon 4 posted      Profile for thisonecanbe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I go to Eastern High School in Southern Ohio. My teachers are currently on strike and it sucks big time. They've been striking for a little over a month.

The purpose for their protest is because their health insurance is so crappy. They take out something like $800 a month out of their checks. (And our school district is one of the lowest paid anyway.)

Recently, students have been getting frustrated and protesting by walking to the gym and sitting in the floor (which the principal responded by calling the sheriff) and having a boycott of the cafeteria's lunch/breakfast tomorrow.

I just wish it were all over and settled. I miss my teachers a lot. I support them because they have families to feed and what the administration is doing is wrong. The superintendent has body guards at her home (which the tax payers are paying for). At a board meeting earlier this week, hundreds showed up and they called for an executive session (where they would go to a private room) and one of the members motioned for a public forum while another member seconded it. The other members/superintendent didn't listen and still walked out. Everything has been so crazy. This is a small community and it is being ripped up and down.

What does everyone think about teachers striking? Has anyone ever been in a similar situation?

------------------
...i've done all i can do; could i please come with you?

Posts: 63 | From: nowhere | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My teachers went on strike three days a week for about 2 months once, over pay.

And now they're refusing to supervise at lunchtimes or free classes or whatever...

When they went on strike it was during an exam year for myself, but I supported them all the way, because compared to other college and graduates, their pay did not reflect inflation like the government had promised...

A lot of students went on strike, but I didn't, as I believed that it was pointless to lose more class time by standing outside the school shouting( and, to be honest, it was mostly people who just wanted to cause a bit of trouble and lose more time that were doing it... and there was a lot of stone throwing and scuffles)

My advice to u is keep working in school and don't allow the strike to affect u even more by slacking off on strike days.

And remember, teachers would usually much prefer to be in the classroom than parading up and down(and in our case, in the freezing cold)!

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.