Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » College!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: College!
Star2be17
Activist
Member # 4769

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Star2be17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm now a junior in high school, and besides being overloaded with tons of homework, i also have to search for colleges! I have pretty much no idea what i want for a career...but i'm thinking something artsy. Basically i am looking for a good liberal arts college, preferably in or in the vicinity of a large city (i.e. New York, Chicago, Minneapolis). If you have any suggestions for me...i would be very happy to hear them, and i'd also like to hear about the college you attend/used to attend/will attend and if you recommend it to others (namely me ).
What do you like about college? What don't you like? What have you found is the most important thing? Making friends? Studying for classes? Joining a sports team or other extra-curricular activities?

Any input from you would be absolutely wonderful!

------------------
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning!" --Apocalypse Now

Posts: 266 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
come up to the Great White North

It's cheaper, and we'd love to have you!

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chicago is an amazing place to go to college.

If you're REALLY artsy, the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (http://www.artic.edu) is second to none, or maybe to RISD.

Also,
Roosevelt University
Columbia College
DePaul University
Loyola University
University of Illinois at Chicago
University of Chicago

are all great schools. and there is SO MUCH TO DO here! public transportation is so wonderful. I love Chicago ;]

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i go to a liberal arts college...a tiny one nowhere near a city :-)

but i love colby, and i'm from the city. it's a weird adjustment to make (colby is about 20 min north of augusta in maine.) but it's a great place, and i love my friends. i had a hard time making friends at first because i had a long-distance boyfriend, but it's ok now. i'm a sophomore. i have a lot of extracurriculars and i've got a pretty challenging schedule. i recommend it though, it's peaceful and i just can't imagine where i would rather go to school.

em

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star2be17
Activist
Member # 4769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star2be17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies!

So far, i want to apply to Macalester, Loyola, Lake Forest, and UW-Madison...oh and probably Lawrence University since my parents work there (Macalester and Lake Forest are in the tuition remission consortium with Lawrence...and that's always a plus! Yay..free college...)

Posts: 266 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to laugh. When I read "UW-Madison", my first thought was, "They have a University of Washington in Wisconsin?"

I've been looking into Hofstra University in New York. From what I have seen, it looks like a great school.

If you want to travel to Seattle, we have a good selection of good schools, including Cornish, college of the Arts, Art Insitute of Seattle, Western Washington University, and University of Washington. There are many more smaller, community and private colleges.
If you are interested in more schools in Seattle,click here.

[This message has been edited by DarkChild717 (edited 10-11-2002).]

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right now Antioch is fairly high on my list. Others are Bennington, Conneticut College, and Hampshire College. Oberlin is sort of there because my dad is an alumni and feels that I would like it there.
Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quack, have you thought about carleton in minnesota or wesleyan in CT? those are along the lines of the schools you mentioned.

ah, the joys of NESCAC. :-D

em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there's always carleton up here in ottawa, you know!

honestly, our universities are so much cheaper than yours!

tuition is generally around 5000$ CDN. so that's what..... 3000 american?

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star2be17
Activist
Member # 4769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star2be17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa, cupcake that is really cheap! I never considered going out of the country for college but maybe i will

And DrQuack...my brother goes to Oberlin! it's a really nice place but the town's too small for me.
I too have heard carleton in minnesota is nice. My boyfriend's sister goes there.

hey emsily, what's NESCAC?

Thanks for replying, guys!

cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

sample costs:

tuition 5000
Rez 3000
Meals 2000
Everything else 2 500 (transportation, fun stuff, etc)

totalling 12 500 bucks, AT MOST (keep in mind that's a rough estimate)

Which comes to..... approx 8000-8 500 bucks American. That's for a full year, ALL your costs.

Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Montreal, I've been able to get by on $5,000 (CDN) for each semester here. University in Canada is cheap compared to the US, and apartments in Montreal are cheap, compared to virtually every other city in Canada.

------------------
"Love is blind, and I don't blame her/'cause lately I ain't been too much to see/I'd ask a girl home, but I'd have to pay her..."
-Old '97s Ray Charles

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

are you not originally from Que?

cause if you live in Quebec originally an dthen go to university, don't thy have special rates?

Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, I'm from where you seem to be from, cupcake. I've lived in Montreal for three years now, but before that, I spent my first nineteen years in Ottawa.

As for your question, yes, there are special tuition rates for people considered Quebec residents, and they are incredibly cheap. I paid about $500 per course (the out-of-province rate), but my friends who are from here paid about $125 per course. Still, the out-of-province rate is cheaper than the rates in Ontario - where our friend Mike Harris was making sure that they were getting higher all the time.

What part of town do you live in, cupcake? I grew up in Nepean (but just a block away from where the division between Nepean and Ottawa used to be).

(edited because josh had a momentary lapse, and forgot Mike Harris was no longer Ontario's premier...)

------------------
"Love is blind, and I don't blame her/'cause lately I ain't been too much to see/I'd ask a girl home, but I'd have to pay her..."
-Old '97s Ray Charles

[This message has been edited by Dzuunmod (edited 10-12-2002).]

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

near Ottawa U.

stupid Nepean... <grumbles>

Yeah Mikey's gone now... at least I'm out of the system (for the most part) now, they turned our school board into a dictatorship. Fired all the trustees and THEY'RE specifically in charge of it all.

cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

(sorry, I'm just a little leery of giving out details)

The last thing I want is some wierdo looking in my window... not you of course!

DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't too impressed with Carleton, actually.
Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Star2be17:

So far, i want to apply to Macalester, Loyola, Lake Forest, and UW-Madison...

Woot woot! Go Badgers!

If you're up to the hot weather, theUniversity of Texas is a wonderful school down here in Tejas. Also, it's number one rival, Texas A&M University is also a great school.

Of course, these colleges may be very pricey since you'd have to pay the out of state tuition.

Good luck, hon.

------------------
"I was in London meeting Milly for lunch when a big wind swept both of our skirts up. I noticed how cute her black underwear was until I remembered that Milly didn't wear underwear..."

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Roses
Activist
Member # 9928

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Roses     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you a girl or a guy? If you're female, I feel obligated to make a shameless plug for Bryn Mawr ;-) If not, or if that doesn't appeal to you, I agree with Bennington (that was my second choice), or if you're looking for a REALLY liberal arts college, there's Marlboro, in Vermont...though it's seriously out in the middle of nowhere.
Posts: 105 | From: Bryn Mawr, PA, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

NESCAC is an athletic conference. it stands for northeastern small college athletic consortium. i'm not exactly sure which schools are in it, but i think it's colby, bates, bowdoin, tufts, middlebury, hamilton, connecticut college, wesleyan, amherst, and williams.

they're all awesome schools, if you like that sort of thing. some are more unforgivingly preppy, some verge more on the liberal side. i love it, but it's definitely not for everyone.

i would say look at connecticut college and wesleyan. and colby, of course. :-D

emily

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Star2be17
Activist
Member # 4769

Ahh i see, emsily. It's too bad i'm not athletic though I want to join a sport or something but i detest team sports! I don't know what to do. No colleges will want me because i sit around on my butt all the time
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey, sports aren't the only things going on at colleges. in fact, you might say they're really in academics there are plenty of extra-curricular activities for the less athletically inclined. for example, i volunteer my time at a computer lab on campus. or there are political action groups, religious groups, or film and literature clubs, too.

hmm, what did i love about college. well, i loved the political, social, cultural diversity. i have met lots of interesting folks and made great friends. As for studying, I was in a notoriously competitive major at a very competitive (and very large) university. When I took organic chemistry, I was so stressed out my hair started to go grey. I studied pretty hard, but I made it thru okay. If stress is not your thing, stay away from impacted majors and hard sciences.

Now about colleges wanting you, here are some things you can do now to make yourself look good for colleges:

volunteer work (search "volunteer work" on these boards for info)
good grades
good test scores
leadership awards (student government, etc.)
interesting hobbies

sports are fine, but you don't need them to get into college.

As for sports when you get into college, not all schools have this, but mine had a vast array of club sports including various forms of martial arts (wushu, hankido, tai chi, muay thai kickboxing, karate, judo, tae kwon do, and a whole bunch more), fencing, boxing, tennis, soccer, lacrosse, gymnastics, blah blah blah, so many sports. You don't have to play though. I found school was already a handful without taking up a sport.

------------------
"Things are only fragile till they break."

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

hah! i don't play sports. i did in high school, but i was never very good, and they certainly didn't help me get into school.

at college, my main extracurricular activities are as such: i'm the opinions editor for the school paper, i'm a peer health educator, and i dance as i can.

we have a lot of club sports, but they're mostly things that aren't available as varsity sports. rugby and stuff like that. there are a lot of really popular intramural sports (we don't play other schools) that are fun. i play field hockey that way. :-)

em

------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.