Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Water...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Water...
Olive
Activist
Member # 8964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do people really appreciate it? Sure it's basically nothing, 2 parts hydrogen and 1 part oxygen. If it weren't for water we couldn't live. Just how important is it to get 8 cups of h20 in. How much do you drink each day? I know I don't get more than probably 3 cups on an average day. There's flavored water such as Propel which has added nutrients.

Also, water isn't just for drinking. It's what cleans us, what we wash ourselves with. We swim in it, it cools us off. It's fishes, turtles, whales, seastars, corals, and etc.'s home. Is there ever going to be a time where the water is too polluted for anything to live in it? You can help save the water by doing little things, such as not dumping oil in it, cutting up things with holes in it so creatures don't get stuck in it (the plastic that holds 6-pack of cans together,etc.). Do you do anything to help it last longer?

[This message has been edited by Olive (edited 08-24-2002).]

Posts: 338 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think water is one of those things that you appreciate a whole heck of a lot more when it is gone. During the 1980's, my area suffered from a drought that lasted eight years. We had an insane rainy season in 1982-1983 when I was four years old, and then it just stopped. As if someone had simply turned off the faucuet.

It rained a few times over the next eight years, but it wasn't enough to keep our reservoirs lined and we ended up having to undergo the strictest water rationing North America had ever seen up to that point. Showers were ordered to be no more than five minutes, toilets were to go unflushed unless absolutely necessary, people were asked to bathe rather than shower...and then to use that soiled bathwater to water plants with. We learned all about "Grey Water" in school back then, which was just the term for used bathwater or dishwater that we were instructed to use on plants in order to conserve.

In the end though, the conservation helped us to survive but it took a hellaciously rainy March of 1992 to bring us out of the drought. They called it the "March Miracle" as we ended up receiving enough rain in one month to equal all we had received in the past eight years. Pretty wild stuff indeed.

After going through that nastiness, I think I appreciate water a lot more than I did back then. Simple things like not running the water while washing dishes or brushing teeth can really make a big difference over time, and it's become an ingrained habit. Five minute showers still aren't a favorite of mine (especially before work at 4:45am!), and I'll admit that I'm a lot closer to ten minutes than I should be. But all in all, a little conservation really goes a long way. If we're smart about how much we use, there can be enough for all.

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take a few lower-division chemistry classes and biochemistry classes and i assure you, you will think ordinary water is the most fascinating stuff in the universe!

I mean, how can you not appreciate a substance that gets less dense when it solidifies? And its triple point occurs at 273K; you can have gas, liquid and solid forms coexisting at the same time. And it's a great solvent. I have textbooks with entire chapters devoted to the properties of water. Just water.

i'm thirsty...

------------------
"I am so smart, I am so smart, s-m-r-t....I mean s-m-A-r-t." Homer J. Simpson
"Mmm ... floor pie!" Homer J. Simpson

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.