Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Favorite Childhood Shows

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Favorite Childhood Shows
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After doing a quick search, i was quite surprised to see this topic has never been brought up. I love to rememeber what i was watching "back in the day". So c'mon, what about you guys?

1)Hugga bunch gang
2)gummi bears
3)astro boy
4)my little pony (no, not my little pony tales)
5)Can't do that on television(?)
6) and my very favorite which few people remember prolly cause it was canadian and took place in saskatchewan: putnams prairie emporium

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Little Pony mostly scared me s***less, so I stuck with Mr Dressup, Polka Dot Door (partially because I was always amazed that female-of-the-day didn't know that the guy and Polkaroo were one and the same), and Today's Special. I think those are all Canadian too. Ah, and Rainbow Brite and Strawberry Shortcake, which always seemed pretty similar. And, embarassingly enough I've been watching She-Ra/He-Man episodes lately, and am amazed at how sexually suggestive some of them seem.

------------------
Why can't you have your cake and eat it too?
Why believe in things that make it tough on you?
Why scream and cry when you know it's through?
Why fall in love when there's better things to do?

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone remember Square One, which ran on PBS in the States? It always ended with Mathnet, by far the best part of the show.

------------------
Why don't you admit, you don't have the balls to be a queer?
-Screeching Weasel, "I wanna be a homosexual"

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always loved Sesame St. when I was really little, and the specifically german "Sendung mit der Maus" which featured rocking science experimetns and helped me understand what was up with radioactivity when Chernobyl happened.
That aside, i loved Tao Tao (a cartoon from Japan, I think), Löwenzahn (another science show) as a kid.
Far more memorable where the shows I watched as an early teen though: 21 Jump St, Degrassi High...that sort of thing.

My partner used to be a great fan of Semsame St, too. So great that age 3, he wanted to join BigBird and jumped at the TV in an attempt to make it to Sesame St. Didn't work the way he thought it would though: He broke the TV and still carries a scar from that TV jumping accident. And didn't join BigBird, obviously.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched Sesame Street, Today's Special, Mr Dressup, Mr Rogers, 321 Contact, and Beakman's World when I got a little older. Wasn't all that much of a TV-watcher, really

I'm paying for it now, though -- my son would watch hours upon hours of Bob The Builder and Blue's Clues (he likes Joe so much more than Steve) and Dora the Explorer (Do-do-do-do-do-Dora!) if I'd let him. Instead, he's allowed to watch an hour of TV in the morning and we watch an hour together after his nap.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alaska:
Degrassi High

YES!

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol, dzun.

they recently did a re-run here, and i watched all episodes again. how bloody good a show was that, eh?

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, all the way, Baby! I also watched Denver the Last Dinosaur, My Little Ponies, Popples, Seasame Street, Scooby Doo, the ORIGINAL Snick (What ever happened to "Are You Afraid of the Dark"?)and Ren and Stimpy! They were awesome!

What rolls down stairs, Alone or in pairs,
Rolls over your neighbors dog!
It's great for a snack, it fits on your back, It's LOG, LOG LOG!!!!!!

And a lot of others that I cannot remember. But I was more of a reading and drawing kind of kid. That made punishment fun for my parents. Time out was fun (I'd talk to myself) and what are they going to do--take away my books?

Happy happy Joy Joy....

[edited because I cannot believe I forgot my favorite show of all time...Ren and Stimpy]

[This message has been edited by DarkChild717 (edited 06-13-2002).]

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was all about the Disney Afternoon: Duck Tales, Tailspin, Batman, Animaniacs. I was waaaaay too into Saved By The Bell. I was seriously convinced that high school would be just like that. I watched way too much TV as a child, but at least I've grown out of that.

------------------
You were never no locomotive, Sunflower, you were a sunflower!
-Allen Ginsberg

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How could I forget Degrassi? I always liked it because it looked so much more like real life than other teen shows (living in Mimico even meant that the setting looked familiar), and the kids had actual problems, rather than the standard freak-outs over fashion and dates. If I find it on TV I'll still watch it, and as I watch maybe an hour a month of TV, that's got to mean something.

------------------
Why can't you have your cake and eat it too?
Why believe in things that make it tough on you?
Why scream and cry when you know it's through?
Why fall in love when there's better things to do?

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star2be17
Activist
Member # 4769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star2be17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember always watching Lambchops and Mr. Roger's Neighborhood on PBS when i came home for lunch every day in 4th grade! I was so bummed when the Lambchops lady died I also liked Pinky and the Brain!
What are we going to do tonight, Brain?
The same thing we do every night, Pinky...
Try to take over the world!!

------------------
"Distance and time do not make the heart grow fonder, but only serve to show he who is missing how deep and vigilent his love lies." ~~My boyfriend

[This message has been edited by Star2be17 (edited 06-13-2002).]

Posts: 266 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ren and Stimpy should've never been a kids show. it was far too puerile and brilliant!

other show i watched as a kid:
The Jetsons
The Smurfs
The Gummi Bears
the other original Nicktoons (old episode of Doug, Rugrats and even Rocko's Modern Life)
Are You Afraid of the Dark (taught me the subtleties of Canadian English vs. American English)
and You Can't do that on Television!

oh, memories. Back then, 16 channels was impressive for cable.

------------------
"Go that way really fast, and if anything gets in your way ... turn." Better off Dead starring a teenaged John Cusack.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alaska:
Far more memorable where the shows I watched as an early teen though: 21 Jump St, Degrassi High...that sort of thing.

I watch Degrassi on Noggin Channel!!! New episodes come on Monday nights at about 7. Funny show. I thought it was new, but I guess it's not that new.

I honestly do not remember what shows I watched as a kid. Oooh here it comes:

- I pretended to watch Barney when I was a little older (7, 8..) b/c I thought it was cool hehe.

Man I don't remember!!

------------------
If you don't daydream and kind of plan things out in your imagination, you'll never get there. So you have to start someplace.
Robert Duvall

"I'm a Texas woman, which means I don't need the help of a man to keep things rolling." -The Rookie

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

You Can't do That on Television was filmed one block over from where I grew up. At least, that's if you're all talking about the Canadian version. Perhaps there was an American version that I'm unaware of.

Anyone remember seeing a 13- or 14-year old Alanis Morrisette in the show? That was the Canadian one.

And as for Degrassi, those of you with high-tech TV setups in Canada can still catch it in constant reruns. I do.

------------------
Why don't you admit, you don't have the balls to be a queer?
-Screeching Weasel, "I wanna be a homosexual"

Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe, i still watch degrassi. I love it, my favorite character is spike. I think she's kewl.

Other shows which i forget, lamb chops, and i watched square one with my brother all the time. I thought it was great.

There was this other show i remember watching with my brother too, but i can't think of the name. It was a game show with kids, and they sat in cars and there was like a wall of toys behind them. I just can't think of the name...

And i don't remember Alanis, but i do remember hearing she was on it.

Does anyone remember maniac mansion?

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there wasn't an american version of You Can't Do that on Television. we saw the canadian version on nickelodeon circa 1985 till 1990.

"Who do you think's in the burger?!" and assorted jokes about The Who's farewell tour.

------------------
"Go that way really fast, and if anything gets in your way ... turn." Better off Dead starring a teenaged John Cusack.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be completely honest, I don't think i've actually seen a full show of The Smurfs

I used to absolutely love Mr Dressup. Other favourites were Garfield, Mr Rogers Neighbourhood, Tom and Jerry, Seasame Street, and Beakmans World (My dad used to ship me off to bed at 8 or so, just so he could wake me up at 11 so we could watch it together )

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG Erin, I remember Square One! "Square One! dun dun dun dun dun dun dun..." *sings theme song* I love memories like that.

I also remember watching Lamb Chop.
As for Degrassi, I watch the newer versions. I like Ashley; she has pretty blue eyes. And I hate Paige! She's so mean!!

------------------
If you don't daydream and kind of plan things out in your imagination, you'll never get there. So you have to start someplace.
Robert Duvall

"I'm a Texas woman, which means I don't need the help of a man to keep things rolling." -The Rookie

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

I watched the first couple of episodes of the new degrassi, but it just didn't have the same flare...i dunno, it just doesn't do it like the orginal degrassi. And i have to say my favorite character on what i've seen of the new show is still spike!

------------------

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

foxfire
Activist
Member # 8676

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always watched Rat Fink and this show here this really neat cat in a batman-ish outfit always saved the day. Smurfs wern't too bad although everyone ALWAYS insisted that they were secretly green, that the color on the television was just off. Why then would they manufacture blue smurf dolls? If they were suppose to be green, why arnt the dolls and all the merchandise green???????
Posts: 117 | From: Washington | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC_WillowFan
Activist
Member # 631

Icon 14 posted      Profile for DC_WillowFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, a very nice topic. And it's been so long since I've been here I even had to look for my password which I remembered very well in the past when I came more often. Well...

Childhood shows, there's so much and I know there's things I'll forget.

- The Smurfs
- The Flinstones
- Strawberry Shortcake
- Boumbo (a french program if I remember well)
- Inspector Gadget
- Mr. Rogers
- The Simpsons
- Sesame Street
- Astro Boy
- Tao Tao (a cute panda mom who told stories)
- Popples (so sad it disappeared so rapidly)
- Duck Tales
- Pingu (I don't think people saw that. It was a little pinguin who spoke a "penguin language" but it wasn't too popular)

and I know I forgot lots of other shows I liked but I might remember.

And Hollie, I can't believe you never watched a complete episode of the smurfs

Smurfs were green ? That's the funniest thing I've heard today.

Here's another good one: proof that Papa Smurf is a communist ! Very well explained...
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/1709/

Well, take care everyone !
David

[sorry had to correct the link]

------------------
- I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.

Anne Frank to her journal
(1929-1945)

[This message has been edited by DC_WillowFan (edited 06-25-2002).]

Posts: 201 | From: Montreal, Qc, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
euphorickitty
Neophyte
Member # 6425

Icon 10 posted      Profile for euphorickitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG!! I've seen Pingu! You know that program actually originated in Denmark if I am not mistaken. To me it sounds like a very fast and compact danish. I actually saw Pingu for the first time from one of my science teachers in High School. He absolutely loved it as a kid so he decided to share it with us on a day that we were feeling very unproductive.

I also enjoyed as a child, Sesame Street, Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, Duck Tales, My Little Pony, Gummi Bears, Reading Rainbow, Tail Spin, Saved By The Bell, Full House, The Jetsons, The Flintstones, Scooby-Doo, and that's about all I can think of for now. Neat topic!

Posts: 38 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-Care Bears
-Barney
-Power Rangers
-Anamaniacs
-Bananas In Pyjamas
-Teddy Ruxpin
-Are you Afraid of the dark?
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (when I was little I always told everyone how I wanted to marry Leonardo)
-Mr. Dress-up
-Lamb Chops Play along
-The Simpsons
-Saved By The Bell
-Sesame Street

Those are just some of the shows I watched when I was little! and I used to watch Pingu too!! I thought [and still do for that matter] think it's hilarious! hehe

[This message has been edited by celery (edited 06-25-2002).]

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prospero's_daughter
Neophyte
Member # 7179

Icon 1 posted      Profile for prospero's_daughter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
y'know what's weird? in England we had Teenage Mutant *Hero* Turtles.. it was the same as the Ninja Turtles, but I never understood why the name was different in the US? My best friend and I (he's American) have spent many hours debating which name is better, Hero Turtles or Ninja Turtles.. odd, eh? I also loved My Little Pony, Rosie and Jim, Teabag, Playdays and of course, the almighty Sesame Street I miss my childhood..
Posts: 25 | From: London, United Kingdom | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

DC_willowfan, i loved popples, in fact, me and my brother have some toys of them. You turn them inside out to put them in ball, and then turn them the other way to make a toy.

------------------

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

XoXoGrl8
Activist
Member # 2834

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XoXoGrl8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved Sesame St and Barney.

I used to glue my face to TV every morning before school eating my little cornflakes and watching Big Bird dance around the streets. Fun times...sometimes I wish they would come back!

------------------
-Ashli-
Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway.

Posts: 132 | From: New Jersey...US | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~jess~
Activist
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~jess~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
omg i get this channel with all the old shows- the N and GAS
shows i whatch are
clarissa
pete and pete
gulla gulla island
algria's window
figure it out
wild and crazy kids
what would u do
guts
all that
kenal and calle(SP)

anyone else remeber these shows?

------------------
i love matt
my world
edited because i forgot one

[This message has been edited by ~jess~ (edited 06-25-2002).]

Posts: 278 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clarissa Explains it All. Oh man, that was back when Melissa Joan Hart really was a teenager. Clarissa was so cool! i remember in one episode, she tries to worm her way out of some mountain treat with her mom so she can go catch Nirvana in concert. That is rad! Then she went with her mom instead

Sabrina the Teenaged Witch pales in comparison. I mean, Sabrina doesn't have that geeky-cool that Clarissa had.

------------------

SirenRose
Activist
Member # 8384

Icon 10 posted      Profile for SirenRose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i totally love(d)
-Ahh Real Monsters
-Lamp Chops
-Ponkiki*(japanese show kind of like sesame street)
-Inspector Gadget
-X-men
-Spiderman
-Eureka's Castle
-this girl robot show..i forgot what it was called. it was hella good though

------------------
*~remember the only thing we need sometimes are chilly nights and warmer thighs, cuz nothing is like being held...sometimes*~

Posts: 138 | From: ur dreams | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alohamora
Neophyte
Member # 8892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alohamora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohh! Inspector Gadget! I loved Penny and how she would always come to the rescue of the Inspector everytime.

Not to mention, some of the gadgets were pretty cool too (go-go-gadget arm!)

I loved watching Care Bears too, and Jem & the Holograms, Duck Tales, The Jetsons, VolTron and a whole bunch of others.

My question is, how is it that years later, you can remember entire plots and songs while you can't retain little bits of information for say, an exam or trip to the grocery store?

Posts: 36 | From: Sunny Southern California | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.