Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » your favorite book? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: your favorite book?
girlie*
Activist
Member # 5257

Icon 14 posted      Profile for girlie*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i dont read much, but when i do... i get inot books like gone with the wind. i just love good novels.

my favorite book of all time is The Pillers of the Earth.
it is a sort of a love story.
what is YOUR favorite book?

Posts: 118 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star2be17
Activist
Member # 4769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star2be17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AHH! I just finished Gone with the Wind and i loved it! That is my all time favorite book. I also enjoy Catherine, called Birdy, and all the Dave Barry books

------------------
The world's a rollercoaster, and I am not strapped in

Posts: 266 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My all-time favorite is "Circle of Quiet" by Madeleine L'Engle. Beautiful. I'm also hopelessly fond of anything by Armistad Maupin, who wrote the "Tales of the City" series.

Kythie

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Advocate

"The only unnatural sexual act is that which you cannot perform."
-- Alfred Kinsey

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love "gone with the wind". I read it sometime last year and found it to be really great. I also loved Lorna Doone.

Anything by Anne Rice is great, like the mayfair witches or the vampire chronicles. I reallylike DragonLance too. Awesome stories.

------------------
'I can't turn off the naked people. I am imagining everybody naked, it's automatic now!'-Jeff Murdock

'Steve, sex with two whole women, think of the advantages...they can't both fall asleep. If one of them suddenly leaves or punches you, you've still got one left. If one of them plays that old sneaking out of the window trick, there's someone there to untie you. It's total genius.' -Jeff Murdock

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read Pillars of the Earth about four years ago. I wouldn't rank it among my favourite books, though I enjoyed the medieval theme.

I don't know if I could choose one absolute favourite, but here are a few that come in at the top of the list:

Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy- a very sad book, don't read it if you're depressed.

The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay- this is a book about the Spanish Reconquista, but it's set in a sort of parallel world- it follows the same basic course as our real world history, but has some elements of fantasy thrown in.

I've also really been enjoying the Harry Potter series lately- while it's too soon to tell whether they'll become long-term favourites for me, they're definitely worth a read.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have also read Gone With the Wind- I read it in the summer between 6th and 7th grade, and wanted to be like Scarlet O'Hara (but less racist) for quite a while after that. I never quite managed though

I didn't like the sequel though, that was written by another author- I made up my own story of how Scarlet re-won Rhett's heart, and no one is going to change it on me!

[This message has been edited by Beppie (edited 03-01-2002).]

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1984 George Orwell
Brave New World Aldous Huxley
Lord of the Flies William Golding
To Kill a Mockingbird Harper Lee
The Count of Monte Cristo Alexandre Dumas
The Odyssey Homer
Pygmalion George Bernard Shaw
One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish Dr. Seuss

kill your tv

------------------
straddle the fine line between profundity and profanity...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Watermelon Sugar by Richard Brautigan, and Amrita by Banana Yoshimoto are two very beautiful, rathr sad, and even more sadly, reasonably obscure books I love.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justagirl04
Activist
Member # 3824

Icon 6 posted      Profile for justagirl04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite book as of right now is Chicken Soul For the Soul: On Tough Stuff. It deals with hard issues like suicide, death and dying, abuse, tradegy, ect. I'd reccommend it to anyone that's had some hard times in their life.

------------------
ShAnNa's AmAzInG wEbSiTe

~*Only God Knows Why*~

Posts: 318 | From: Oklahoma USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Wuthering Heights and I'm in the middle of reading Lord of The Rings which is really good. I read this book called Witch Child by Celia Rees and it was absolutely brilliant. Oooh can I ask you guys a question?

I'm writing a book at the mo, its about a girl growing up in an Irish Catholic school and she's coming to terms with her sexuality(sound familiar?) But um, I came up with a title and I'm wondering what you guys think,

"Wearing Pink, thinking blue."

Is it stupid?

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Earths Children series by Jean M Auel (Clan of the Cave Bear etc) and anything by Jeff Noon
Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luscious_leslee
Activist
Member # 6912

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luscious_leslee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh man. there are so many to choose from. i love all books. i'd have to say my favourites are the virgin suicides by jeffry eugenides, ummm the harry potter books. i really enjoy most of the books written by v.c. andrews or her ghost writers. there's lots more, but you know how when you want to know something you just can't remember.
Posts: 91 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slayer, i think that's a really kewl title. Sounds quite intriguing.

And Beppie, what is that Jude book about, (i love books by that guy) because you said it was really sad and i was wondering if it's like this movie i saw a while back.

------------------
'I can't turn off the naked people. I am imagining everybody naked, it's automatic now!'-Jeff Murdock

'Steve, sex with two whole women, think of the advantages...they can't both fall asleep. If one of them suddenly leaves or punches you, you've still got one left. If one of them plays that old sneaking out of the window trick, there's someone there to untie you. It's total genius.' -Jeff Murdock

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based on the number of times I have reread them my favourites would be The Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien and The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. However, I have just discovered the work of Lois McMaster Bujold and expect to start rereading some of her work shortly.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm quite fond of "My Side of the Mountain" by Jean Craighead George. I love that book. Witch of Blackbird Pond; I, Tituba, Black Witch of Salem was a good one...I like anything by Ray Bradbury. Awesome author.
Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
indigodazed
Activist
Member # 6681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for indigodazed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God, I love so many books. I just read Breathing Water by T. Greenwood, which was really good.

Posts: 57 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparklydiamonds
Activist
Member # 7247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparklydiamonds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love reading books. My favorite authors are Anne Rice and Christopher Pike. I realize Christopher Pike writes for young adult and whatever but he has a series called The Last Vampire Series and I just totally love it! Also for Anne Rice, I love her Vampire Chronicles. I just can't get enough of vampires! I wish I was a vampire...lol. Also, I just plain love Anne Rice in general. She style of writing is so unique, so interesting.

------------------
~*Diamonds are a girl's best friend.*~

Posts: 40 | From: City Of Lost Angels | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Hey Sparkly, i love anne rice too.

Have you read "the mayfair witches" series? It's really good.

You should check 'em out.

------------------

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite books? I love topics like these -- it gives me a chance to offer reccomendations and see what other books I need to read.

I just got a copy of The KGB Bar: The Poetry Book today and I'm really digging that. I just love modern poetry. I also found a copy of Betty Friedan's The Feminine Mystique, which a friend of mine has trying to get me to read for years (she knows that I'm one of those rare, male feminists) at a great book outlet store I discovered.

Add to that my usual list of novel favorites:

-- The Mists of Avalon, Marion Zimmer Bradley
-- Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury
-- The Valley of the Dolls, Jacqueline Susann
-- Girl, Interrupted, Susanna Kaysen
-- Justine, the Marquis de Sade
-- The Story of O, Pauline Reage
-- Peyton Place, Grace Metallious
... and the list continues. That's just what I can think of off the top of my head.

(Psst... Anne Rice fans! A friend of mine really wants me to read the Sleeping Beauty Trillogy. I'm thinking about it, but I want to know what some other people think, just for my curiosity...)

------------------
Tim

"Conversation, like certain other portions of anatomy, works best when lubricated." -- the Marquis de Sade (Quills)

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Hey dude,

I'm reading the mists of avalon right now. I'm not too far, a few chapters or so, but it's great so far, just my kinda book.

I haven't read the sleeping beauty books myself yet, but i really want to. Actually i'm having trouble finding them under the pen name she wrote them under.

Didja know she wrote them just after her 5 year old daughter died, because sleeping beauty was her daughters fave story. Sad stuff, but i've heard good things about the books.

------------------

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

littleone
Activist
Member # 4571

Icon 10 posted      Profile for littleone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ooooooooooh my, yes! mists of avalon: ALL THE WAY!
im actually a self-titled book worm
before i got to high school and got a life, i used to forgo my homework and go to the library practically every day.
i read too fast

anyhow, if you guys like mists of avalon, try reading another book by the same author.
its called "firebrand" and its the story of cassandra and the trojan war from cassandras perspective.
very well written, woman-centered book.
*grins*
i have a huge list of books that i love so i wont even start, but yeah. marion zimmer bradley kicks butt. so does JRR Tolkien and Isaac Asimov. *goes to read some more*

Posts: 83 | From: toronto | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
short stuff
Activist
Member # 3415

Icon 1 posted      Profile for short stuff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, my list is small... and i'm not much in to classics... but:

+Where the Heart is
+Catcher in the Rye
+To Kill a Mockingbird
+Ruby series (VC Andrews)
+Their Eyes Were Watching God
+I Know What You Did Last Summer

my "mixed" list. *hehe

------------------
(heart) always, sarah

*Memories are the best souvenirs.*

*I thought I loved him, but he had to break my heart for me to know what true love really is.*

[Apolo Anton Ohno is yummy!]

Posts: 90 | From: seattle, washington, usa | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CutiePie4eva
Activist
Member # 7052

Icon 7 posted      Profile for CutiePie4eva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okie... my all time favorite book... is Ella Enchanted... its like 3rd grade reading level... but its a cinderella type story... but with a twist... and its a fairy tale/fantasy story and its just sooo cute! and when i'm down and depressed i can read it in like a day now (since its 3rd grade reading level lol)... but i'm such a romantic that the story puts a smile on my face ::sigh:: =D
Posts: 239 | From: new york, USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hated reading and it would take me at least two weeks to a month to finish a book no matter how good I thought it was. So I was really surpised when I finished all four Harry Potter book in less than a week.

It's all I've read since November. I know it's pathetic and I should spreaded my choices but it's just not the same. Such as right now I'm reading The Joy Luck Club for a book report. I've had it for two weeks and I'm barely on the second story. *sigh* I should get to reading it's due on Thursday.

------------------
"I get on my broom and make the bad guys go BOOM!" ~ From the wise words of a thespian on Harry Potter

"Haaaaaaaaaarrrrry Potter, Harry Potter, Harry Potter, heismyfriendhecanbeyourfriendtoo. Haaaaaaaaaaaaarrry Potter, becausehehasfeelingstoo!"

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~jess~
Activist
Member # 6304

Icon 6 posted      Profile for ~jess~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im just a book worm. i love sherin creetch's books. im on my 3rd one, after that i need to look for more. She said yes is such a good book. i also like judy blume.

------------------
i love matt even through hes older

ICQ#142088477

Posts: 278 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Joy Luck Club is so goood!
Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PeaceAngel
Activist
Member # 7466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeaceAngel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite book in the whole world is The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King. It is SO good!

------------------
~It takes all kinds of people to make our world interesting and it takes acceptance to make our world peacful.~

Posts: 46 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Activist
Member # 3426

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by entropie:
The Earths Children series by Jean M Auel (Clan of the Cave Bear etc) and anything by Jeff Noon

Have you heard that Jean Auel has finally finished the fifth book in the Earth's Children series? It's coming out next month, I think. I'm so excited - I've been waiting for this for years.

Lately, I've been reading (and rereading) mostly nonfiction, especially philosophy and spirituality.
Conversations with God by Neale Walsch: excellent, even though I don't agree with everything he says.
Tuesdays with Morrie: I read this in one sitting, and cried the whole time.
The Tao is Silent by Raymond Smullyan: probably out of print by now, but beautiful.

I also like any of James Michener's historical fiction, especially "The Source" and "Poland". And I'll be reading Jean Auel's new book as soon as I can get a hold of a copy.

Posts: 107 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jewishpunk
Activist
Member # 8056

Icon 14 posted      Profile for jewishpunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love reading! My favorite books are

- Harry Potter series by J.K Rowling
- Sirena by Donna J. Napoli
- The Girl Who Owned A City by O.T Nelson
- The Skin I'm In by Sharon G. Flake

Posts: 67 | From: Some unknown planet beyond the solar system. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just wanted to add to my list. I'm reading a Thai novel called Sii Pan Din (translates to Four Reigns). It's about a girl who grows up during the reigns of 4 kings of Thailand (kings #5-9). It's basically a very pro-monarchy view of life and culture in Thailand. But it's a fun read, if you don't mind learning a new language, that is. There is an Emglish translation, but it's for wimps. j/k, actually, it leaves a lot of the cultural stuff out, which is why i prefer to read the original.

------------------
Color is for crayons, not for people.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryha
Activist
Member # 7897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is so tough for me! I mean, I'm a writer and I love to read. I've read so many excellent books too. The most imaginative, interesting, best plot book I've ever read would have to be "Black Unicorn," by Tanith Lee. It's so awesome, and the most unique book I've read in a while.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PinkElephants
Neophyte
Member # 8409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PinkElephants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have got to agree with entropie(soz if i got ur name wrong) the Earth Children Series are the best ever-especially the new one.Dont you just love her descriptions of Pleasures-they r the best ones i have ever read and they make me feel all warm inside.
My other favourites are,
The Mists of Avalon-Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Princess Bride-William Goldman
The Moon on the Water-Pamela Belle
The Chains of Fate-Pamela Belle

Posts: 9 | From: scotland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SirenRose
Activist
Member # 8384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SirenRose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my favorite book ABSOLUTE FAVORITE BOOK
is Wrinkle of Time-Madeline Léngle. and the entire serires. i know its not that high on the reading level, but it is good. And of course Church of Dead Girls-Stephyn Dobyns. very creepy, but a joy to read. very twisted. anyways. thats it

------------------
me myslef and i

Posts: 138 | From: ur dreams | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alohamora
Neophyte
Member # 8892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alohamora     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, what better time than the summer than to catch up on good reading? And you know, you all have given me such an extensive list, I don't know where to begin.

Here's my recommendation, it's:

Revealed at Last! What Killed the Dinosaurs! And You Don’t Look So Terrific Yourself

by Harlan Ellison. You can find it in his book Strange Wine.

Happy reading!

Posts: 36 | From: Sunny Southern California | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fairie
Activist
Member # 8914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fairie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love to read, but my very favorite book in the world is Summer Sisters by Judy Blume. My other favorite book is Bridge to Terebithia i read it for the first time in 4th grade and it has been a fav of mine ever since. other favorites include the Left Behind series(very inspiring) and the Harry Potter series.

------------------
Live,Laugh,Love

Posts: 101 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.