Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » The Arts/Show Off Your Stuff

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Arts/Show Off Your Stuff
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who's involved with the arts? What are you involved with? What's the best thing do you think? What's the worst? Who is your favorite artist? Want to show off your stuff, go ahead

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

real poetry is all based on this old myth about this beautiful, scary, trippy goddess who the poet wants to possess but he always loses her to this shadowy other guy - Girl Goddess #9

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm a poet, a writer, a sketcher, a decoupager, and a dancer. Jazz and ballet, to be precise, but any dancing makes me happy. I think the best thing about being involved in the arts is all the people you meet and how openminded they are. I don't know why it is, but I always tend to find more open-minded artists then general people. The worst thing? A lot of it is so demanding and your dreams are shot down before you even start (like, being a dancer. It's unheard of to be a professional dancer if you start after the age of 13, and even that is unlikely. I've always been dancing in some way, but I started ballet and jazz when I was 14. When you add in that I don't have enough money to take more than two classes a week, and the fact that I have the wrong body type, I knew I couldn't be a dancer even before I started).

And of course, as an artist, I want everyone to see my stuff
http://www.geocities.com/pixiechick0404/art.html
^^^There you can find my decoupages and sketches. The altoid tin is actually my wallet, heehee.
http://www.geocities.com/pixiechick0404/poems.html
^^^My poems
http://www.geocities.com/pixiechick0404/stories.html
^^^The index for my stories
http://www.geocities.com/pixiechick0404/ramblings.html
^^^My poetic ramblings. Yes I've invented a new genre, not quite a poem, not quite a ramble, but still lyrical.

Go ahead, critique me

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

real poetry is all based on this old myth about this beautiful, scary, trippy goddess who the poet wants to possess but he always loses her to this shadowy other guy - Girl Goddess #9

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
towel42
Activist
Member # 3118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for towel42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh...I'm an artist and writer, and I just enrolled in a dance class (though I'm getting the sense I'm not gonna be too good at that, heh heh).

My favorite art movement would have to be the Pre-Raphaelites, especially John William Waterhouse (although he isn't -technically- a part of that movement, he has been associated with it so often that I can't help but think of him as a part of it). I also love slightly more contemporary artists, like Edward Gorey and Dave McKean. I have some online friends that are pretty kickass artists, too.

I write surrealistic fantasy/sci-fi/horror/dark humor stories (whew, broad spectrum). My favorite writers are Neil Gaiman (my muse), Douglas Adams, Kurt Vonnegut, and a crapload of others.

Once I have my website up and running, I'll put a link to it in my siggy so you all can see my crap-a-licious art, and read my halfway decent writing. (Tho for now you can look at my art that's in a gallery hosted by a huge website that hosts amateur artists: http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/loth/l/a/laranicole/laranicole.html )

------------------
...an angel who didn't so much fall as saunter vaguely downwards...

"Ni! Ni! Niii!" -Monty Python & the Holy Grail

"Ennui is insufficient reason to commit suicide."
"Things seemed much less complicated...before we kept computers."
-Neil Gaiman

[This message has been edited by towel42 (edited 06-24-2001).]

Posts: 256 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AngelElisheva
Activist
Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AngelElisheva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOOOOH!!! Good topic!

Let's see, I am: a dancer, musician (!), poet, writer, and definitely not an artist! I have no artistic talent whatsoever.

I've danced on and off for my whole life...I took about four years of ballet when I was really little and took three years of jazz ending last summer. I stopped because, yeah, I was at the top of the class and yeah, I was leading the dances, but I wasn't really learning anything new and there wasn't an advanced class at that school.

I've been playing piano since, oh, 1992 (I think), oboe since fifth grade, singing since before I can remember, and playing flute since...three months ago. I had to start because you can't be in a marching band with a double reed, and if you're not in marching band at my school you're not allowed to be in band, and if you're not in band, then you can't do festivals. Besides, I was not about to play cymbals! I'm pretty decent, I suppose but...anyway. I have a performance on Thursday (of which I was notified yesterday), and so I'm going to play one or two piano pieces (depending on what sort of piano they have, can't play Rachmaninoff on an upright), an oboe solo with my brother accompanying, accompany (maybe) my brother on clarinet, and then we'll do (again, maybe) an oboe/clarinet duet. It's at an old folks home, and I've wanted to do some volunteer work, so this was a really good opportunity. Only problem? I've never practiced my bros clarinet solo with him, and we both just started on our duet yesterday. All this on top of having to study for a math final (don't ask!) and having my mother away in Dallas AND going to a wedding on Saturday. Man, oh man.

As for poetry, I've been writing it since the summer of Arava 1, which would have been...ummm...1998. A really cute counselor told me I wrote well, and so I kept writing to try to impress him. Now, it's sort of my journal. I write totally free, and if I fall into a pattern, I haven't been aware of it. I just find it hard to express myself under the constraints of meter. Besides, it's never really made sense to me.

The best thing? I would have to say music. All the way. I've been into it ever since I could remember, and I honestly would have been dead today if I didn't have music. I was severely depressed in sixth grade, and I thought I had nothing going for me, and I almost killed myself twice, but there was always music running through my head, and it calmed me down and cleared my mind, and then I went and sat down at the piano and played for hours until I felt at least a little better. So yeah, music is definitely the best.

I don't know that I have a favorite artist; some of my many "favorite" composers include Bach, Handel, Saint-Saens, Labate, Rachmaninoff, Chopin, Joplin (gotta love that rag!), Schumann...well, you get the idea.

Righto, this is long enough already...

~Angel~

------------------
Nobody knows what you know, nobody's seen what you've seen, nobody's lived what you've lived...so why let them judge you?
~Personal Quote~

You know, Hobbes, sometimes I think the surest sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
~Calvin~

Posts: 176 | From: Middle of Nowhere, PA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

I think I fell in love with Lisolette

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooohh... I love the arts! I think maybe it's the only thing that keeps me sane sometimes. But our school has a pretty crappy art program (which I think I enrolled in by accident *wink wink*) so I've kinda just relied on myself and my artistic friends and relatives to teach me and to motivate me.

So let's see... I'm a poet, a painter (not a great painter, unfortunately), a sketch artist, a dancer (classical dance - I've taught myself to tango and waltz), writer (song lyrics and short stories), musician (clarinet and I'm learning to play the acoustic guitar), and I like to argue and do speeches. I'm not sure if that really qualifies as an art, but I consider as my own personal art- I put my many of my own thoughts, dreams, and emotions into my speeches and arguements. Apparently I'm one of the very few people in my school who appreciate things like that. I LOVE art and literature- the theatre, operas, art exhibits, museums, little cafes where I can go on stage and read my poetry. I was the only one in my class who liked reading Romeo and Juliet and the Odyssey.

Right now I'm in Drama Club (hopefully thespians society next year) and I had some small freshman type rolls in Pride and Predjudice and Lil' Abner, band, and flag corpe (twirling flags also inspires me a bit). Just recently I went on a trip with the drama club to Detroit to see Phantom of the Opera (which was absolutely great). When I get into college I'm going to study to be a biological scientist, and I hope to possible take a few courses of art history or english literature. Yay!

------------------
*^Lucky^*

"I could rip your eyelid off..."

"No, Don't do it! I need it to seal my plan.."

"Why?"

"Because it's so devious I need to wink."

[This message has been edited by Lucky1402 (edited 06-27-2001).]

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. All of the arts interest me to some degree, but dance the least. I'm a bad dancer. I like drawing, and going to art shows (but I don't do either as often as I'd like). I used to write a lot, but I've slipped with that. I also used to do theatre, but, now I don't...I've gotten really into music. I'm in a couple of choirs, and I also write my own songs. I've just started recording them onto my computer (bad sound quality, but it's nice to have a record of them). Maybe if I get brave I'll put them on the web.
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amnesiac
Neophyte
Member # 4336

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amnesiac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The arts seem to be what my life revolves around, so I think I should write in this topic.

I do photography. I have some work up at my site (the link is in my signature), but a lot of it is at my journal site. I recently started at it, and I'm the first to admit that I'm not so great. But I have fun, and that's the most important thing, right? I also paint, but I don't have any of that online.

I play guitar, piano, violin, and am soon going to start bass and drums. I'm in one band, where all the rest of the members still live in my old town, but oh well. I write a lot of songs, mostly just 4 chord deals, but it makes me feel good about myself.

I've also been involved in the theatre for the past 2 years. I'm probably directing a production next year, so.. go me!

The arts are so much fun.

------------------
- madison eliza
small thoughts

Posts: 7 | From: suburbia | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
exit seraphim
Activist
Member # 2566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for exit seraphim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lucky : if you liked the Odyssey, go check out the movie, "O Brother, Where Art Thou"...it's loosely based on it...great great great film.

well...for me...i'm a writer, a musician, a poet, a decoupager, a photographer.

a small portion of my writing is here http://poetic-jester.org/maiden
and http://lacet.scribble.nu

i love music more then anything...i'm a percussionist. marching band season has started...we're doing the firebird suite by Stravinsky...oh do i love him. i also love Holst, Handel, Holsinger, Resphigi, Gerswhin, Rachmaninoff, Beethovan, Williams, Dave Matthews, Maynard Fergeuson...etc etc etc...

the name of my favorite photographer is escaping me...but he did a large exhibit on the family of man. i also like the guy who did the picture of this nude model with a snake around her, licking her. i think it might be the same guy...but it's midnight and i can't think straight.

-justine

------------------
have i been wrong?
have i been wise?
to shut my eyes and play along?

Posts: 142 | From: H*Ton, NY | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
star1120
Activist
Member # 1624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for star1120     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
art... i love it all. though when it comes to drawing and writing, i can't just sit down and do it... it just comes to me, sometimes in the middle of the nite. but not very often, i've only a few things from the past 4 years.
music is beautiful. i've been exposed to so much through band the past 6 years yet, i've yet so much to hear. as for newer artists, i am in love with dave matthews. he writes the best music ever and it's not like some other music where the guitar player makes up a cool riff and they go with that. dave's music is so complicated and so many different instruments and sounds and patterns interwoven to make one beautiful song. and none of his songs are the same. dave is god. (well, my personal god if you will... hehe)
as for dancing, i love dancing though i've never taken a class... i've always wanted to but never had the money. i still love it, like what i learn for shows...
which brings me to my absolute favorite art: acting. though some don't consider it as much an art as the rest, i do. yes, you're speaking lines written by someone else, but, you're putting yourself into them. not just yourself, but your experiences, people you know, people you've seen. you have to be something you're not to get the authors ideas across. now if you can do that, you are an artist. i consider my self an actress, and an artist.

------------------
" Life move pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Posts: 183 | From: ohio, usa | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am art. Everything around me is art. Art is life. Life is art.

------------------
Sarcasmic, orgasmic, fantasmic...

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
super_geek
Neophyte
Member # 4353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for super_geek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the arts sometimes keep me sane.
its so good to be able to express yourself with out words... the arts are a magic in my opinion.
i am an artist and a musician and a pretty shitty writer...
i never learnt any instruments, but taught myself, which in a way was better than getting lessons, bedause i wanted to learn and teach myself to do stuff..
the arts are god-like

brittany,
that story with astra was awesome..

Posts: 20 | From: hell, australia | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.