Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Quirkiness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Quirkiness
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just wondering what quirky (read: geeky, nerdy) habits everyone here has. Today I did many of my quirky things...and I feel...well dorky really. And I want to hear about your dorkiness too

*When I was in 8th grade I took my little high school hand book and figured out every class I was going to take for the next four years.
*I sit down with my (bad) report cards and figure out what grades I need to make in the next three years to have a good GPA
*I just bought a big fat SAT studybook last weekend. Not too unusual...but I should mention that I don't take the SATs for another two years. TWO YEARS.
*My favorite thing to do is go to Barnes and Nobles and read books, especially the big psychology ones that weigh 20 lbs.
*When I was in 7th grade I went online and found the college and university rankings and made a list of all the ones I'd be interested in going to. Over the years the list has dwindled, and ranges from Northwestern to UNR (in reno).

C'mon, fess up, you know you want to

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

real poetry is all based on this old myth about this beautiful, scary, trippy goddess who the poet wants to possess but he always loses her to this shadowy other guy - Girl Goddess #9

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you're geeky and you know it clap your hands!

*clapping wildly*

i volunteer in a computer lab. i'm online all the time. i study molecular biology. i can quote monty python ay great length. i even belong to a club called "nerdnoise." what part of that doesn't scream "GEEK!"

when i was in junior high, i competed at state level at the National Geographic Geography Bee. i also have many spelling bee trophies. i consistantly won science fairs (right up to high school where i placed 3rd in pharmacology).

in high school, i was captain of academic decathlon for 3 years. i was dominatrix (captain) of science bowl. i spent all my time on the computer. i took classes to prep me for my SAT. i was the only junior to score a 5 on AP bio in my class. and i was salutatorian of my class.

------------------
| |: BGBGDGBG BGBGCGBG :| |

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have visions of science domina Gumdrop Girl wielding a quantum whip (you never know exactly where it will strike)

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
--I volunteer at the library, and am on the library teen council.
--I too can quote monty python forwards and backwards.
--I watch the discovery channel, the travel channel, and the war, I mean, history channel avidly.
--I made high honors--I got a B- on my biology exam and I didn't study for it.
--The only detention I've ever had I chose to go to, it was optional.
--I go to a private school with the word Day in it's name.
--I wear glasses, and yes, I've done the whole masking tape thing when it was absolutely necessary.
--I read all of Roland's Song outside of class when we were studying the dark ages in civ.
--I know Adobe Photoshop so well I could rewrite the entire program without help, and I have three other graphic editing programs so I can do anything to a picture.
--I go to a french camp where I speak only french for two weeks.
--I have read the entire works of Shakespeare several times (although, I still don't understand King Lear).
--I have a map of Mars and an educational poster about Egypt on the wall next to me.
--I loved ninth grade English, a class with a teacher notorious for being hellish in which we read Macbeth, The Odyssey, and the Oresteia.
--I have a calculator that looks like the Hitchhiker's Guide, and I know how to program it, and there are no games on it.
--My computer is running out of space on which to save things.
--I am a recovering addict of EverQuest, an internet role playing game.
--I listen classical music or NPR on the radio.

The list goes on.

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
--I play computer games.
--I listen to my Fire Department Radio incessantly.
--I spend some free time in the UCLA library.
--I take pictures of silly things.
--I like English Literature, and talking about it with friends.

And if those aren't geeky, I don't know what is!

[This message has been edited by BruinDan (edited 09-25-2002).]

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stare at the sky at nights. In the daytime I still stare at the sky.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I Do In My Spare Time.

I think I win the Geekiness Award.

------------------
"I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died."

Out of my Head.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, no Aria, the Church of the Shaven Yak is far from geeky, in fact, I think that is really very cool. I personally think everyone should own their personal shaven yack.
Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JunkiePanda
Activist
Member # 4006

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JunkiePanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i like to wear bow ties and shirts that look like picnic tables.

i like punk rock

i had pink hair

i got in a legal battle with my school

people refer to me as "commie"

Posts: 141 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am expert in a database (read: boring) programming language...and I'm good at about 5-6 others.

I have a copy of Gray's Anatomy - just for personal curiosity, not even to perv at dirty bits!

I laugh along with my wife at the Powerpuff Girls.

I'd say more, but what I have said probably has the Dork Police after me already...

------------------
Please sit still...while I devour your brain.

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I play Dungeons and Dragons.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sallynha
Activist
Member # 312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sallynha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
eheh love this topic

* I spend all the time I'm home on the computer, online, and check Scarleteen every 10 minutes

* I have 4 different Portuguese-English Dictionaries, and 2 different English-English Dictionaries, plus chuncky grammar books that I never read

* I was the best student in English in my High School ever, for 5 years in a row with max grades

* I've been playing Diablo II for a couple months now and have now LADY status

* My glasses scream *GEEK!* -> as 4.exe said me once... I personally think they're quite cool actually ehhe

* I'm usually on 2 different IRC networks, PTnet to chat with my friends, and Undernet to get some warez I'm addicted to get appz I don't need and don't even know what they do, but I still download what I can

Well... that should be quirky enough... (Oh! And I LOVE these smileys so much that the 1st time I replied to this post it said We cannot process your posting, because you have exceeded the maximum number of images allowed per post. The current maximum is 8. !! LOL

------------------
~Sallynha

ICQ #120172535

Posts: 390 | From: * my own little shell * | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the Food Network. If I could watch Iron Chef everyday, I'd be a very happy cookie.
Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4.exe
Activist
Member # 123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4.exe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehehe... nice topic. Let´s start:
-I don´t sleep. I work with my computer from 1:00 am from 8:00 am so my mom don´t disturbs me. I sleep from 4-5 hours a day (bad thing -- don´t do it)
-I also play Diablo II a lot.
-I´m a Music Geek: I commonly listen to a song and separate all the parts and chunks in my mind and re-organizate it, analyze it, and watch how is made, what effects they use, how is sequenced etc.
-I have the computer without the case, to see her lovely insides all the time.
-I *love* my mouse.
-My CDs covers all the surfaces in my room.
-The Weekend nights i seriously question myself: hang out with friends, or hide myself in the internet? commonly selecting the 2nd option.
-I think Bill Gates is Satan.
-I painted my mousepad.
-I met my best friends by ICQ.
-I use to search eternally in music stores for weird EPs and stuff.
-Now is a tradition for me to take my computer to my friends house and play for 12 hours consecutively.
-I read comics (even if you are not interested, you should read sometime in yr life authors like Ralf König and Peter Bagge)
-I enjoy watching movies older than me.
-I don´t have glasses but i would like to have. I think girls with glasses are pretty.

and, the last one...
-My door has written in Green: "GEEK".

Posts: 53 | From: Montevideo, Uruguay | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
4.exe
Activist
Member # 123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4.exe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, i think that it´s pretty nerd to put in a forum our geeky facts of life, to know who is more geeky )
Posts: 53 | From: Montevideo, Uruguay | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tHATDUDE
Neophyte
Member # 2412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tHATDUDE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
* i always get know common musics like very (-jokeable) popular music, anthems (like the communist anthem) and so on ':)

* i always like to watch (some (and sometimes *same*)) cartoons ':)

* everytime I see (windows) applications with weird interfaces I gotta debug them to figure how they were made ':)

* everytime I get my hands on something I can crack, I do it (i'm talking about binaries, not real life :p)

* i preffer those 2 things rather than playing games (but i do play diablo 2 and i'm a Baron :p)

* i've played for clans at d2, but never did join one ':)

* i got 20/20 in "informatique" (IT) :p with no study, missing some classes and always coming late 0:)

* i can't resist sending SMS messages to my girlfriend

* i only like geeky music, from geeky groups like blur and gorillaz ':)

dunno ':)
but they's so many things, and I can't remember all ':)

i do think it was "quirky" to put this topic though ':) cheers

P.S. i've disabled smilies because I usually write a *lot* of smilies ':) hihi enjoy!

[This message has been edited by tHATDUDE (edited 06-19-2001).]

Posts: 9 | From: Penafiel, Portugal | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shadowhawk
Activist
Member # 3425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadowhawk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't run screaming before I'm done, but I'm pretty geeky.

* I run a MUCK in my spare time
* I shop at ThinkGeek!
* Gotta read /. and K5 at least 3x a week (more K5, less /.)
* I actually ordered the detailed score report for my SATs to see what questions I missed.
* I talk to some of my friends more online than I do offline
* One word: Filk.
* Gotta copy all my CDs to MiniDisc!
* Gotta copy all my CDs to MP3 or Vorbis Ogg!
* I have archived my VHS collection to VCD.
* Given the opportunity to either go clubbing with my friends or stay at home on the internet, I'll take the latter. (Clubs are evil! So's dancing.)

And last, but not least, I'm a computer science major!

Posts: 80 | From: Phoenix, AZ, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
towel42
Activist
Member # 3118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for towel42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LoL, what a beautiful topic...

1) I'm a fan of roleplaying games. I'm too shy for the ones you do in real life, so I do them on the computer (DragonRealms, Black Bayou, Vampire: the Masquerade).

2) I make webpages for fun.

3) I taught myself to use Adobe Photoshop.

4) I, too, can quote Monty Python at length. I also made the mistake of trying to explain the series to three teenage boys, who now call Monty Python and the Holy Grail, "The Happy Python and the Gay Trail," for whatever reason.

5) My nicknames are "British Wannabe" and "Death", which should give you some insight into my personality.

6) I'm in love with an author.

7) My favorite shop in the mall is Barnes & Noble, where I like to hole up for hours. Its a way to save money on books, and its got comfy chairs & a Starbucks, unlike the library.

8) I'm a writer. 'Nuff said.

------------------
...an angel who didn't so much fall as saunter vaguely downwards...

"Ni! Ni! Niii!" -Monty Python & the Holy Grail

"Ennui is insufficient reason to commit suicide."
"Things seemed much less complicated...before we kept computers."
-Neil Gaiman

Posts: 256 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maro_chik
Activist
Member # 4272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maro_chik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. I'm online 24/7.
2. I read books about sleep and dreaming.
3. I never do anything remotely rebellious or I'm overcome by guilt and remorse.
4. I play Nintendo (origional) games.

------------------
~*Maro*~

Posts: 63 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. I roleplay online at MUSHes, MUXes, and MUCKs. Mostly the former two, and mostly World of Darkness games.
2. I once took a statewide chemistry test for fun. I was in the chem lab during all of my spare time in the weeks preceding the test, learning things that hadn't been taught in class. And I enjoyed it.
3. I can't buy CDs from my favorite artists at mainstream music stores.
4. Go out at night? Why? There's an entire Internet to explore!
5. I have made several web pages during my life.
6. I got an 800 on the verbal section of my SATs. That's not the geeky part. The geeky part is that I managed to do that without studying or taking prep courses.
7. I was programming computers back in elementary school.

Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
broccolidiva
Activist
Member # 4409

Icon 10 posted      Profile for broccolidiva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to bring up an old post... but I couldn't resist!

I am (VERY, VERY, VERY!) addicted to www.sissyfight.com and I am their 6th biggest poster (almost at 2000 posts since august/september, when the boards started up.) I've played for a whole year and STILL haven't remotely tired from the scratching schoolgirls. Some of my best friends (and loves) have been from there.

Love,
Brocc

Posts: 66 | From: Toronto, ON, Canada | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girly2499
Activist
Member # 4188

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girly2499     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aria51:
What I Do In My Spare Time.

I think I win the Geekiness Award.

That rocked so much! oh my I'm cracking up.

Posts: 87 | From: nebraska, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.