Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » What Quotes or Poems have inspired your life?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What Quotes or Poems have inspired your life?
justagirl04
Activist
Member # 3824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justagirl04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a hugs fan over poetry, and anything that has to do with poetry. I have been writing poetry for the past year, and whenever I write, I feel as if a part of my soul is released onto the paper. For me, writing is an awesome feeling. So, what are your favorite quotes and/or poems, and have they inspired your well being?

My favorite poem is:
"Birches" by Robert Frost http://www.bartleby.com/104/66.html

you can go there to read "Birches" if you want to... it's just way too long to post here!

My favorite quotes are:
Within you, I lose myself. Without you, I find myself wanting to become lost again.
-Unknown

It is love, not reason, that is stronger than death.
-Thomas Mann

See there’s this place in me where you fingerprints still rest, your kisses still linger, and your whispers softly echo. It’s a place where a part of you will forever be a part of me.
-Gretchen Kemp

Somewhere there’s someone who dreams of your smile, and finds in your presence that life is worth while, so when you are lonely, remember this is true: Somebody, somewhere is thinking of you.
-Unknown

Once you’ve felt love, you’ll know that it’s love because you don’t want to let it go.
-Jean Zheng

Hopeless romantics are only hopeless in the eyes of those who don’t believe in romance.
-Jean Zheng

You know it’s love when all you want is that person to be happy, even if you’re not part of their happiness.
-Jean Zheng

In order to get the rainbow, you must first conquer the rain.
-Unknown

Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle… rather a beautiful reminder of just how strong true love can be.
-Unknown

Music is love in search of a word.
-Unknown

I love you, not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you.
-Roy Croft

Love is like a violin. The music may stop now and then, but the strings remain forever.
-Unknown

------------------
"I can't take anymore of this, I wanna come apart, or dig myself a little hole, inside your precious heart... 'cause it's always raining in my head... forget all the things I should have said..."
-Epiphany (Staind)

~*S h a n n a*~

Posts: 318 | From: Oklahoma USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
star1120
Activist
Member # 1624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for star1120     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"shoot for the moon. even if you miss, you will land among the stars." -les brown

and my favorite is in my signature... if i think of more, i'll come back!

------------------
" Life move pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Posts: 183 | From: ohio, usa | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The poem that has most affected me is "Dulce Et Decorum Est" by Wilfred Owen.

Wilfred Owen was born in England in 1893. He was my age, 22, when he enlisted in the army to fight in the First World War. He was sent to the battlefields of France in 1917, and spent several months in battle. During his time "on the line" he became shocked by the horrors of war and wrote several poems about its pointless carnage. "Dulce et Decorum Est" (which rougly translates to "How Sweet and Fitting it is") is a testament to how ridiculous it is to promote dying for one's country as something patriotic and heroic.

The poem can be read here: http://home.tiscalinet.be/ericlaermans/cultural/owen/dulce-et-decorum.html

Initially I was struck by the brutality of all-out warfare that Owen described. The thought of men and boys my age being gassed, bombarded, and shot dead was not a pretty one. But what really choked me up was the story of what happened to Owen. World War two ended on November 11, 1918. Owen was killed in battle six days before that.

------------------
"Unit 12, 12D, 16A, 18S; respond to the fight in progress, weapons used are hands and feet. Suspect 1 is a male white with no arms or legs..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like "The Parable of the Old Man and the Young" (by Owen) much more--in my opinion it gives a better picture of the causes and effects of war. You can find it at the site above too.

The Shield of Achilles is my fave, it's by W.H. Auden and you can read it here. It's really a very ironic and depressing poem but I love it.

Hmm, quotes, let's pull out the ol' quote book.

"Every word is like an unnecessary stain on silence and nothingness." Samuel Beckett (although as is pointed out in Maus II: And Here My Troubles Began he did SAY this).

"There has been too much talking by men who had no right to talk." Chief Joseph

"Never allow a fool to kiss you or a kiss to fool you." Unkown.

"I have a fatal curiosity." Hercule Poirot (by way of Agatha Christie).

"You cry when you're born because you know that's when you first begin to die." Unknown.

"Sanity is merely a crutch for the weak." Me, but probably someone else too.

"We must never live in a world where drams are rarer than money." The Road to Wellville.

And of course, my signature--inspired by another scarleteeners quote "I am me."

------------------
I am not who I appear to be.

Gaffer--from under the moon backstage

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One quote that speaks to me is Vita Sackville-West's "I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."

One day in high school we were supposed to bring in inspirational quotes to class, and the teacher didn't get it. Oh well.

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i hope ya don't mind, but i think this would be great over in "It's All About You." cheers!

------------------
| |: BGBGDGBG BGBGCGBG :| |

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...or I will do such things as yet I know not, but they shall be the terror of the Earth!"
- Shakespeare.

I just like that one - crusty old English guys really can be scary. Who would've thought?

"Diesen Kuss der ganzen Welt!"
The rest is here
- Schiller

The translation kinda sucks, but I like the sound of it sung. Five points to anyone who can guess what song and poem that's from without looking at the link.

(Asking Alaska is cheating. ;p)

------------------
Pugs: nature's bite-sized, tasty little treats.
I'll have teriyaki on mine!

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super BubbleGum Gurl
Activist
Member # 2456

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super BubbleGum Gurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A quote that really got me, was something that my mum said once while we were having a little talk.
She said "Don't marry a jerk." And she's absolutely right.

Another one I read in a bookstore. It said "All good things come to an end." It's kinda pessimistic, but it's right.

------------------
If 2 wrongs don't make things right, try 3!

Posts: 54 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But remember, all bad things come to an end too.
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fear my quotefile!

"Writing is a way of speaking without being interrupted." Jules Renard
English 101: It's not just a genre, it's an adventure!
"I'm not a role model; I'm a worst case scenario." --johndan johnson-eilola
"[G]iven sufficient epoxy and a razor saw, anything is possible." J. Sharp
"The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head." T. Pratchett
"Where I am going with this? Simple: I'm going to bed." James Lileks
"and the ones who know you the most/are the ones that can swallow you whole." Dar Williams
"Nothing that is human is eternal but is ever declining from its beginning to its close." Miguel Cervantes de Saavedra
"Human beings are notoriously uneven and squishy!" -- Hanne Blank
PHILOSOPHY: Basically, this involves sitting in a room and deciding there is no such thing as reality and then going to lunch. -- Dave Barry
If you can regularly come up with lunatic interpretations of simple stories, you should major in English. -- Dave Barry
where there's a geek, there's numerous ways plus patches. [webdivad@userfriendly]
Forgiveness means that you're letting it go in your own mind and you agree not to go after the person with a buzz saw. Noel Lynne Figart
If i wish to be lightly flogged, I have an editor. D.W. Moore
Instead of which, they got Comprehending Only Too Well Thanks, Highly Suspicious And With Good Reason, Hostile, Hostile and Very Hostile.-- Phil Edwards, AFU
I would be content to have as my epitaph "Mostly, It Didn't Suck." But I leave that judgment to others. -- James Lileks
"Reality is not digital, an on-off state, but analog." Terry Pratchett
"Making love is not the same as tiling your bathroom, teaching your dog to heel, or getting your taxes filed ahead of time." Johanne Blank
"Same is bad until different is worse." James Lileks
"of all the fun things to do with computers, i like wanton destruction the best." -- corvi
"it's not an outfit unless it's got some kind of hardware bolted to it."
-- j. woodford
"that cow is integral to some kind of evaluation process!" -- m. weisberg
"[I]ntegrity makes poor body armor." Terry Pratchett
"[T]he bourgeoisie were hated from both ends: by the proles, because they had all the money, and by the intelligentsia, because of their tendency to spend it on lawn ornaments." neal stephenson
"We have to build heaven on earth with our own hands; if it's provided for us, it won't mean anything." James Lileks
"There is no such thing as a perfectly secure computer, unless it is switched off, melted down, encased in concrete, then tossed into a deep ocean trench. Even then, someone may work out how to manipulate gravity waves to get at it." The nice folks at http://www.orbs.org
"Odd how that term 'thing' has ominous connotations. If you said 'The Item From Another Planet,' it would sound as if we'd been invaded by office supplies." James Lileks
"They're hard to get a hold of, those Platonic ideals. You'd think that a Platonic ideal would return email, but nooooooooooooo." -- Darkhawk
But it's being overhauled and brought into the 'digital' age. (Part of me hears that term and thinks: The Age of Fingers. -- James Lileks
"Grief can be a hard thing to carry, and a shadow and a roaring river, and all the love in the world can only hold you while you cry." -- Elise Matthesen
"Cause when you live in a world/it gets into who you thought you'd be. And now i laugh at how the world changed me/I think life chose me after all."
Dar Williams, "After All"
" When you're immortal, everything can wait until tomorrow. Which means all of us procrastinators have the spirits of the Gods in our veins."
James Lileks
"Clearly, the Hundred Year's War would have been much shorter if it wasn't for the Internet showing the Saxons how to make bombs." -- Scott Takacs
"If I want life to be not about fear or power struggles or despair or self-fulfilling prophecies of unworthiness, but about love, then I gotta do something about that now. Not someday." -- Elise Matthesen
"Those who don't remember the past are doomed to buy it again at Old Navy, and think they're hip." -- James Lileks
"Genius flames and dies, but amiable competence can live forever." James
Lileks
"Words are amazing in their resistance to death." Amy Ray
"Each succeeding generation is false to its predecessor in reconstruction and interpreting the events of the past, in selecting and stressing the details that conform to its notion of an age recently become history, in
sentimentalizing or libeling the days and years of its elders." Martin Greif
"most of the cool stuff happens in the small spaces in between the grand moments, in my life. and some of the time we wipe up vomit." -- piranha
"In a world which really is topsy-turvy, the true is a moment of the false." - - Guy Debord
"Using a personal computer makes one no more powerful vis-a-vis, say, the National Security Agency than flying a hang glider establishes a person as a match for the U.S. Air Force." -- Howard Rheingold, The Virtual Community
"Toutes choses sont dites deja, mais comme personne n'ecoute, il faut toujours recommencer." -- A. Gide
"Trying to reconstruct the past from the magazines and pictures is like reverse engineering a snowflake from a drop of water." -- James Lileks
"Humanity = sound sex mayhem." -- Rich Rice, CW 2001

Erin

------------------
"Avoiding assumptions is usually worth the exercise." -- Elise Matthesen, in the alt.polyamory FAQ

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
justagirl04
Activist
Member # 3824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for justagirl04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Thanks everyone for posting! Those were some awesome quotes and poems! ErinK, I see you're a quote lover, too!

------------------
"I can't take anymore of this, I wanna come apart, or dig myself a little hole, inside your precious heart... 'cause it's always raining in my head... forget all the things I should have said..."
-Epiphany (Staind)

~*S h a n n a*~

Posts: 318 | From: Oklahoma USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
velocette
Activist
Member # 3877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for velocette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Don't think cos I understand I care, don't think cos I'm talking we're friends." -Sneaker Pimps "6 Underground". I actually think the whole song is quotable...but I won't bore you with the whole thing!

"Jag vill inte vara rädd
Varför måste jag vara rädd?
Somliga vet att dom är starkare än andra
Somliga älskar att slå sönder en vit tandrad
Somliga lever för att pina varandra
Jag tror att innerst inne är vi likadana
Jag tror att människor gör så av gammal vana"

[I don't want to be afraid
Why must I be afraid?
Some know that they are stronger than others
Some love to strike broken a white tooth
Some live to torment each other
I think that deep inside we are exactly alike
I think that people do so by old habit] -Kent "Jag Vill Inte Vara Rädd"

And of course nearly everything Björk!

-Veronica

Posts: 81 | From: Hayward, California, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlinkN*boys182
Activist
Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlinkN*boys182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well for starters I love my signiture, and here are a few other quotes/prases.....
"Say I'm just wasted hope
I could not thread the rope
More than my pocket's broke
And you don't see a ring
These are not all of the
Infinitesimal things
You can find wrong with me
Once would you tell me please
What do I do What do I do...right"- Jimmys chicken shack

"You don't marry someone you can live with - you marry the person who you cannot live without."

"To love another person is to see the face of God."
-Les Miserables

"If you love someone, let them go. If they return to you, it was meant to be. If they don't, their love was never yours to begin with..."

I may have faults, but being wrong ain't one of them.

I've never been jealous. Not even when my dad finished the fifth grade a year before I did.
Jeff Foxworrthy

Hell is a half-filled auditorium. Robert Frost

What a long strange journy it has been

Abby

------------------
Sometimes you have to kiss ass, before you can kick it

Watch out! I spell awful!

Posts: 60 | From: over the rainbow | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a few, but i'll just post a couple.

"...I feel extremely plugged in now, but not into the same socket that everyone else is plugged into."
-Hawksley Workman, Toronto Sun

I can't think of anymore at the moment, but another one, is my signanture...

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JunkiePanda
Activist
Member # 4006

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JunkiePanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"it was hard to sing because of the tear gas"-alec empire

"dont pray in my school and i wont think in your church"

"against abortions? dont have one."

"you wanna know why i cry when i masturbate?! I'LL TELL YOU WHY! it is because i know baby jesus is watching! THATS WHY!"-my friend brandon yelled that out at my english teacher after she said we could always talk to her

"dont ever become someone's slogan. because you are poetry"

"i am a simple man in love with a complex woman"-i cant remember

----------

"THE COLD WITHIN"

By: Douglas C. Corlett © 1987

Six humans trapped by happenstance
In dark and bitter cold
Each one possessed a stick of wood,
Or so the story's told.
Their dying fire in need of logs,
The first woman held hers back.
For on the faces around the fire,
She noticed one was black.
The next man looking cross the way,
Saw one not of his church,
And couldn't bring himself to give
The fire his stick of birch.
The third one sat in tattered clothes,
He gave his coat a hitch.
Why should his log be put to use,
To warm the idle rich?
The rich man just sat back and thought
Of the wealth he had in store.
And how to keep what he had earned
From the lazy, shiftless poor.
The black man's face bespoke revenge
As the fire passed from sight,
For all he saw in his stick of wood
Was a chance to spite the white.
The last man of this forlorn group
Did naught except for gain
Giving only to those who gave
Was how he played the game.
The logs held tight in death's still hands
Was proof of human sin.
They didn't die from the cold without,
They died from ---THE COLD WITHIN

Posts: 141 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Draw closer if you dare, feel the wind of massive wings, the heat of flaming breath, the steel stare of fiery eyes... and let your dreams take flight....

Two roads divered in a road, and I--
I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.

Robert Frost.

I have that one written in hieroglyphs on my binder.

Just a thought to ponder:

If you could say anything to one special person, with no consequences, no judgement, no odd looks, what would it be? And who would you say it to?

Its a shame that nothing in this world is without its consequences, its doubts, its pain. It would be so much easier to tell someone how you feel, speak 3 words that mean more than any novel ever written.

The grass doesn't have to be greener on the other side. This side just needs a little help.

For all the things I said, but shouldn't have
I'm sorry.
For all the things I never said, that I should have
I'm sorry.
And for being less to you than you are to me
I'm sorry.

This is my original compostition:
Flow my tears
Stream down my face.
The pain will come
To take your place.
I hurt inside
You’ll never know
As my pain
White as snow
Hides from you
Plays this game
I know I’ll never
Be the same.
Who are you?
Why are you here?
My pain and sorrow
In one lonely tear.

------------------
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
"'Tis some visiter," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door —
Only this, and nothing more."
--Edgar Allan Poe, The Raven

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grizabella
Activist
Member # 2014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grizabella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...

"Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in."
---Robert Frost

"There's no doubt life's a mystery, but so too is the human heart."
---Mary Chapin Carpenter

"To love another person is to see the face of God"
---Les Miz. I made a cross-stitch of this quote for my grandparents' 50th anniversary.

"Artists can color the sky red because they know it's blue. Those of us who are not artists must color things the way they really are, or people might think we're stupid."
---Jules Feiffer

"The barn's burnt down... Now I can see the moon."
---???

"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
---Winston Churchill

And my signature. :-)

------------------
"Sometimes people care too much. I think it's called Love."
---Pooh Bear

Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Doe
Activist
Member # 3836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Doe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Never let grades stand in the way of your education. Focus on getting the education and the grades will follow"
Unknown

and my signature, by a guy named Paul from a book that has sold a few copies over the years.

------------------
"and these three, faith hope and love abide, and the greatest of these is love"

Posts: 475 | From: ohio | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maro_chik
Activist
Member # 4272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maro_chik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's one I really like...

"Don't frown. You never know who is falling in love with your smile."

I dunno who said it, but I love it.

------------------
~*Maro*~

Posts: 63 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's another:

"The worst thing you can be is ordinary. Strive to be different, when you're different, the whole world sees you and all you're beauty."

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way...

Sidney Lanier said "Music is love in search of a word."

~KittenGoddess

------------------
the kittenblog

"Follow me or perish, sweater monkeys!"
~from 'Bring It On'

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.