Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Journals/Diaries....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Journals/Diaries....
Cypher
Activist
Member # 1881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cypher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, ladies!

I was just wondering about other females' (big and small) experiences with diaries or journals. I've been keeping a journal steadily for about the past year and a half and I've found it incredibly theraputic. Soothes the soul!

Now by the word "journal" I mean any form of personal writing. That includes little planners, diaries, online journals, etc. Have some of you started them, but have been unable to finish them? If you do keep one, how does it make you feel?

What have been the good/bad/happy/sad/angry/embarassing/triumphant/wonderful experiences you've had with them?

I love my journal. Sometimes I'll only write one time in a week and it'll be only two lines. Other times it'll be everyday and each entry will take up ten pages. I also keep an online diary here:
http://www.opendiary.com/entrylist.asp?authorcode=A324121

I've found it a neat way to annonymously vent.

So what are your experiences?

Posts: 289 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, my diary's at opendiary, too! Cool. Actually it's at TEEN opendiary, but close enough.

~I love keeping a journal. I used to keep a real journal in a notebook, but recently I started doing online diaries. It's much faster to type, and they let other other people read it and tell you what they think. Not to mention being able to add links and uploaded images.*

I guess keeping a diary is pretty cool, especially since I love to write. It helps me vent my emotions and keep track of what happens in my life. I always like going through my old journals and reading about some of the things that happened in the past, don't you?~~~~
http://www.teenopendiary.com/entrylist.asp?authorcode=B162484

------------------
*^Lucky^*
Come check out what's goin on in Lucky's mind!
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today."

[This message has been edited by Lucky1402 (edited 03-02-2001).]

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh dear, i'm horrible at keeping a journal. it just seems pointless. the only time i've ever not actively hated my entries is for a journal assignment for an english class - then at least it has a point. otherwise, i read my journal writing and i think i sound pretentious and vapid. i don't know why. i think i need an audience, or something.

em

------------------
Love is a word that is constantly heard
Hate is a word that is not.
Love, I am told, is more precious than gold.
Love, I have read, is hot.
But hate is the verb that to me is superb,
And love but a drug on the mart.
Any kiddie in school can love like a fool,
But hating, my boy, is an art.
-Ogden Nash

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point, em. That's why I keep online journals and let people read them. Then I have motivation to write.

------------------
*^Lucky^*
Come check out what's goin on in Lucky's mind!
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep mine here. At Village People.

I tried keeping one online but I got too lazy to update it so I figured since I am always here, I might as well just make my thread in VP my online diary.

I adore keeping an online diary because it helps me clear my thoughts and I'm basically a very narcissistic person.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep a semi-regular online diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com.

Additionally, I will be doing a thesis on the whole "online diary"trend, dealing with, among other topics, why people keep online diaries and what issues they deal with as to anonymity, etc.

If you'd like to participate, fill in your email address at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/survey.html for a short text-based survey. Results will be given by your online alias only, and more information will be shared with the list later.

Thanks!

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/.
"Is love like the sweet, bitter taste of marmalade on burnt toast?"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kept a very lengthy diary at http://pixie69.diaryland.com I really like keeping journals, it's a fun way to look back on everything you've done. Unfortunatly my mom's a snoop and reads everything I have laying around (or hidden, she always manages to find it) which is why I switched to an internet one. But now I think I have a good hiding place so I'm keeping a real one. Actually it's just a notebook. It's a good way to talk about current events, how I feel, what's going on in my life, etc etc.

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

This person is a natural product. The slight variations in color and texture enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kept a diary fairly religiously from about grade 5 to last summer (I'm in university). I used to write in it before bed, to keep me company, but I now live with my boyfriend, and don't really need the company of a book anymore. I feel a little bad for letting it go, though. I'm sure it will be interesting to look back on, one day.
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same problem as Emsily, in that I feel pretentious when keeping a journal. I don't feel that I can be as honest on paper as I am with myself inside my own head.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love to keep a diary but unfortunately I have a younger brother who has some kind of inbuilt diary sensor which always tracks it down and blackmails me. I've had so many bad experiences I've just given up now.
Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amongthethorns
Neophyte
Member # 3173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amongthethorns     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi people I'm new here.. Whats up? *waves* I keep a diary at Teen Open Diary and I LOVE IT! God, with the handwritten book diaries, I always end up not writing even if I vow to because they're so darn boring. But I recently found TOD online and it keeps me motivated because people read, give me advice, and leave notes. Check mine out at http://www.teenopendiary.com/entrylist.asp?authorcode=B162071 I'm also .:Angelina Jolie:.

------------------
"When a person doesn't express theirself, they die one piece at a time."

Posts: 21 | From: Cambria, California | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surferChicka
Activist
Member # 2232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surferChicka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love my journal. i totaLLy vent in it. it's the old fashioned handwriTTen journal. i've bEEn not gOOd about kEEping up w/it lately tho.

i seriously hate it when my lil sister ransacks my rOOm to find my god foresaken journal!

------------------
peace, love, & seXwax!

Posts: 117 | From: Honolulu, HI | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, I have an online diary, too.

I’ve been writing diaries ever since I was rather young – about 9 or so. It’s really quite funny to read what I thought back then, what was important and I saw my life back then. It’s almost as if that is a totally different person writing there. THe most interesting diaries are those I wrote during my teens - I was very introspective back then, and the thoughts I had are very far removed from my usual thinking these days.

I started an online diary, because I wanted to give my partner the option to read up on what's going on inside me and to let him take part in the boring every day things I do without me having to tell him each and every thing. He reads it only casually though, and these days, I mainly keep my diary for me, and that's the way it's supposed to be. I actually would prefer having a real blog on my own website, but so far I lack the skills to come up with the site that I want. So I keep using OD's predone thing, which is easy enough and serves the purpose. The fact my diary is kinda public because it's online really doesn't bother me. It was a little strange at the beginning, but not anymore. I'm not keeping it there because I *want* others to read it and I'm not someone who's a sucker for diary notes, either. What I find a little strange though is to think that some people have bookmarked my life and read up on what I do regularly. But then..I do that too, eh?

------------------
"To be nobody but-yourself -- in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else -- means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting."
e.e. cummings

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started a journal in December, and i love. It's a really good way to vent my feelings and i like to go back and read what i wrote, and see remember stuff that happened to me. It's really important to me, and i also put a lot of pictures in it, so i can see my friends and family whenever i want. I think it's great to be able to keep a journal or diary.

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i used to keep a journal in WordPerfect. Then I started chronicling specifing things in MS Works -- I have a 20-page single-spaced 10pt Times novella about my last boyfriend. And I have about 5 pages about a friend of mine. And I have about 10 pages of ranting about my current boyfriend. i add to it when i get pissed off.

as for my day to day life, there's not much to say, so whatever's interesting i post in Village People. And sad to say, the content is not that particularly compelling.

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Village People is pretty much my diary. I've tried using all kinds of diaries, but this one works the best.

I guess you could say that my canvas pad and sketch books are my diaries too though. Who ever said that a journal had to be words?

------------------
"No day is so bad it can't be fixed with a nap."
--Carrie Snow

"A mistake is simply another way of doing things."
--Katharine Graham

The best website ever: www.evilrobots.com (I am related to the founder!)

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Claire
Activist
Member # 1548

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Claire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI!!
well i kinda keep a diary and i kinda dont. see when i was little i wanted to keep a diary so id seem erally organised and all but im not a very organised person so id have one for about a wk and then stop writing in it. then in year 7 i started a diary and kept that for a couple of months and that was good but then i stopped and in yr 8 i started writing in it again but then *shock* * horror* there was a fire in my bedsroom and it was burnt along with the rest of my possesions.
After that i got depressed and so i whenever i felt bad i just wrote wateva i felt on wateva was nearest and that felt good. i do that to do this day. but not in a diary way if u read through the little notebook things that i write down the stuff in u wouldt be able to tell wat ive done like in regular diaries just the weird stuff that i felt at that time. and ive felt some pretty weird stuff from what i have written.
I like it because no one comes into my bedroom cause im the middle child and i was the one that did the snooping and my little brother couldnt care less what ive felt!!
Yep its All good.
Claire

Posts: 82 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ella
Activist
Member # 1168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried to keep diaries in the past, but I think the problem with them is that I always feel that I have to update it daily and then feel like I've failed if I don't. The only time I've decided to definitely keep a daily diary is on trips. I started this 4 years ago when I went to Vancouver and when I went to New Zealand this summer for a month I religiously kept a diary.

I do write about important events but not in one book, just all over the place. I wrote about my first period, kiss, boyfriend, etc. Anything I felt I'd probably really like to remember in the future. I don't have the discipline to keep up a daily diary but every now and then I need to vent on paper so I do

[This message has been edited by Ella (edited 04-01-2001).]

Posts: 303 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cats31_01
Neophyte
Member # 3167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cats31_01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried to regularly write in my journal, but it just doesn't happen to often. I do have one that I write (yeah, oldfashioned) in when something significant happens. It's mostly filled w/stuff from the 4 years that my now exbf and I were together. But, it does have other stuff in it too (when my dad ran over my puppy) Anyway, I'd have to say that it's great to be able to go back and read about stuff that's happened. It's amazing how much you can forget and not realize it. It's also great to relieve stress.
Posts: 23 | From: Kansas | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BiRiotGrrl
Neophyte
Member # 3222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BiRiotGrrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have 5 diarys. All do not have more then 3 pages taken up! I cant seem to avisly write, so much is happening in my life rigth now I just cant stop to write it all down. When I did, I did find it theraputic, it gives you time to think over what hapened in your day today. If you have the energy to keep I a diary, I suggest doing so.
Posts: 6 | From: California, U.S.A | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purple Lemonade
Activist
Member # 2674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Lemonade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohmigawd! I just loove diaries. I got my first diary when I was eight and since then, I was hooked.
I have one at school, one on the net, and one in my bedroom (my most personal one).
Usually in my diary I end up complaining about the day, but most of time I end up talking about my BF and my cat.

------------------
Depressed? Try some chocolate...12-16 times daily...

[This message has been edited by Purple Lemonade (edited 04-02-2001).]

Posts: 54 | From: Manila, Philippines | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diva2000
Neophyte
Member # 3353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diva2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've kept a diary since 4th grade. It is very theraputic. U can say anything and U don't have to worry. also its fun to look back and read past entries.
Posts: 37 | From: Chicago,Il,USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Siren
Activist
Member # 3243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love keeping journals/diaries. I started my first when I was around 8 or 9. Sometimes I still read it and it's so interesting to read about some of the things I felt and thought. I still have a written journal but it's hard to keep up with since I'm so busy....I'll probably get back into it though.

I write the most in my online diary here http://skisiren.diaryland.com/ I started it so other people can have a peak into my everyday life. I don't know, I find it really interesting to read about other people's everyday lives.....especially since a lot of times we tend to go through the same things and don't even realize it. It's also a way for me to get things off my chest, to vent, to just express my random thoughts/feelings, or analyze myself. I always feel better after writing things down.

------------------
Lil Siren

Read My Thoughts...

Posts: 190 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lostcat
Activist
Member # 3295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lostcat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i've kept a journal for the great portion of my life, although my journal is filled with more small sketches and drawings than actual writing, being that art is my main interest.

i'd be hesitant at starting an online journal, though- i'd be mostly afraid of people reading it who shouldn't be. (read: people from the offline world who you don't exactly have the best relationships with)

------------------
"i need to wash myself again to hide all the dirt and pain, 'cos i'd be scared that there's nothing underneath"- radiohead

Posts: 73 | From: chicago, il, usa | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys :0)

You can read mine in village people, or at: http://www.teenopendiary.com/entrylist.asp?authorcode=B180706

Love,
Winnie :0)

------------------
Keeper of:
Scully's bra (EA)
Mulders Wheelchair (SE)
Scene where S tells Sk she's pregnant. (Req)
Scully's green suede jacket (Unn)

Member of GAWS

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cuddleslut
Activist
Member # 3349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cuddleslut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have basically always had a diary around since about 5th grade. Even before that I would ahve something I wrote in, but it didn't really become a regular diary till 5th grade. I kept that one for a while, and then dropped one all together in 6th grade, and started up again with them in 7th and have been keeping one always since. Now I'm a freshman. Since the beginning of 7th grade, I've had 4--three have been book diaries and the one I have currently is online. Something about keeping a diary I really enjoy...it just feels good to get my thoughts out and write them down. Sometimes I dont' want to talk it over with my friends, I just sort of want to be alone with my thoughts and having a diary allows me to do so. I guess there's something comforting about it...I cant' really explain it. All I kno is that having a diary is really important to me, and just sort of a part of my life. I dont' really notice it. But nobody has ever read them. And they never will

------------------
you wanna be just like me, i wish i could be myself
you wanna be just like me,
i can't think of no one else...
-Reel Big Fish

Posts: 120 | From: california...well, at least it sounds cool. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.