Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Crusader/Nicknames

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Crusader/Nicknames
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crusader, by Edward Bloor, is a really great book I just finished. He was the author of Tangerine if anyone here read that--I highly recommend both of them.

Okay, in Crusader there is this girl named Roberta who is fifteen and hasn't had her period. The book is all about her, and at one point in it she is talking to someone about her friend whom she calls Betty the Goth. Never having said this in front of Betty, Roberta suddenly realizes what she just said. Betty gets all mad and tells Roberta that "the Goth" is not her last name, and Roberta realizes she doesn't even know Betty's real name. "I don't call you Roberta the Androgyne or Roberta the Hermaphrodite, do I?" asks Betty.

How much do epithets and nicknames mean, are they helpful or hindering. What do you all think?

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that's a really good question... I have heard many different discussions on this topic, but I haven't yet come to a conclusion for myself.

In some ways, I don't think anyone should be "classified" as something, but it can help to discribe that person. And sometimes it's like, "If you're not one thing, then who are you?". You're unique, I know, but it's just a lot easier to know and think of one person as a specific thing if that's what they truly are.

Having just read over that, my mind is arguing with itself. I personally try to stay away from calling someone like, "Marcella the dyke" or "Erin the flirt". It may be part of who they are, but it's not all of them, and it's not fair to classify them as such.

::Sigh:: I'm going around in circles here. I need to hear some other sides of this... Anyone?

------------------
Mary, Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow?

"Well, I use fertilizer and a new product I got at The Home Depot."

Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it's different if the person WANTS to be called that nickname or not. I myself, like being called a punk (because that is who I am, even though I only occasionally dress punk) and I often like when my friends tease me about being smart. I don't know how to explain it, but it just makes me feel like I belong to a group (instead of just floating around). Now, I know that most people don't like being catagorized into a certain group, but I don't mind it. I wouldn't really like it though if one of my friends or somebody I knew referred to me always as "justina, the punk." The name only goes so far- the person should at least refer to me by my real name. I can still be a punk or a geek or whatever, but I don't want people introducing me as "the geek" or "the punk."

I definately see the point- epithets and nicknames can often get offensive and degrading (especially in the girl in the books case, where she didn't even actually know the other girls last name). I feel that we should all just get to know people without having to label them as something. I mean sure, that girl WAS goth, but she also had a real name and other identities and feelings other than simply goth. If the person doesn't mind the nickname, then good. But on the other hand, we shouldn't just look at someone and see a goth, or a nerd, or a punk, we should see a person.

So, in my opinion, nicknames can go either way. Did anybody catch on to what I meant? I'm babbling again.

------------------
*^Lucky^*
Come check out what's goin on in Lucky's mind!

"At one point we decided to fight fire with fire. Well...basically...your house burned even faster."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HA! You all have to read the book to find out Betty's last name, so there.

I think that it's okay to refer to someone with an epithet or nickname if you ask them or find out whether they are comfortable with it first. They can be really harmful if they are labeling someone stereotypically or are insulting, but they can be helpful in keeping you from confusing the sixteen Jessicas in your class.

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.