Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Douglas Adams 1952-2001

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Douglas Adams 1952-2001
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Douglas Adams has left us. :~(

"So long, and thanks for all the fish."

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The answer is 42.

May he be happy whereever he is.

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aww man, I was so sad to hear about this.

His work touched me growing up, made me feel less alone and more real and less freaky. And I know so many other people that he liberated in the same way. (I know, it's "just science fiction" but there was something in it that spoke to me and a lot of other geeks.)

And he has a seven year old daughter who won't know her father, which I think is saddest of all.

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lostcat
Activist
Member # 3295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lostcat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That makes me so sad

I must have read "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" at least 50 times.

------------------
"i need to wash myself again to hide all the dirt and pain, 'cos i'd be scared that there's nothing underneath"- radiohead

Posts: 73 | From: chicago, il, usa | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*Bursts into tears crying*
I'm sorry, *sniffles*, bleckh, I'm gonna miss him.

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sucks.

He was one of the funniest authors I've ever read.

------------------
This mind intentionally left blank

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew about him (everyone always talked about his latest works in several media areas) but I never got round to reading/watching/playing them. In honour of his memory I will try to get round to reading Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy.
Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Confused, my partner started reading the HGG several weeks ago, as a way of dealing with long bus rides, and loved the series. I'd read most of them, and the Dirk Gently books, several years, but had apparently forgotten how much fun they were, as said partner became absolutely obsessed with them, and forgot about Harry Potter entirely. However, he also told me not to read the last book, Mostly Harmless, as he says the ending's very poor and very much a downer. Still the other books are definitely worth seeking out.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
A book by Adams that does not get much mention is "Last Chance to See". This started out as a BBC radio documentary on animal species on the verge of extinction, It is both funny and poignant. The audio book is a very good adaptation.

------------------
The most exciting phrase in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" ("I found it!") but rather "Hmmm... that's funny...."

- Isaac Asimov

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 05-14-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 05-14-2001).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
towel42
Activist
Member # 3118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for towel42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I really was on the verge of tears several times today as I informed my friends at school of his untimely demise. *points to her username* As you can see, I'm very much a fan.

I was going to post a topic entitled "So Long and Thanks for All the Books", but I'm glad to see there are others that thought to honor his memory.

I'm an artist, and I'm working on a tribute piece. I started designing it today. Once I get my website up and running, I'm going to have a little page, "42 Candles for Douglas Adams", that I'll take down on May 11th, 2002.

I'm just so depressed...those books were brilliant, and the world needs more people with minds like Douglas Adams...

------------------
...an angel who didn't so much fall as saunter vaguely downwards...

"Ni! Ni! Niii!" -Monty Python & the Holy Grail

"Ennui is insufficient reason to commit suicide."
"Things seemed much less complicated...before we kept computers."
-Neil Gaiman

Posts: 256 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh this does make me sad too. *uses her towel to wipe away a tear*

He was an excellent author and shall be missed greatly.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
the kittenblog

"What is the odds so long as the fire of soul is kindled..."
~Charles Dickens

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is indeed very sad.

And Bobo had to beat us all to the fish line.

I need an analgesic.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is an analgesic? I keep hearing that everyone needs them!

Douglas Adams died, this has been seen as a bad move on God's part (whose existence is disproved because of that silly little fish) and has created quite a bit of discontent among scarleteeners.

Blech I think I need an analgesic if it has anything to do with head aches, although I could have just said I need a banana or television or something equally silly if it has anything to do with head aches.

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aquamarine
Activist
Member # 3296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquamarine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
His writing was hilarious. I have so many lines from "The Hitchhiker's Guide" memorized. Ack. Sadness. Teardrop.

I would write out 42 random statements explaining his brilliance...but that might be a bit grating, and it would probably make me sadder. So I refrain.

(Gaffer, I believe an analgesic is a painkiller, or pain medication.)

Posts: 87 | From: bay area & new england | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Yes, I could have definitely used one of those.

I got an e-mail from my friend saying that people around the world have designated May 25th as towel day in honor of Doug, so I'm having a party tomorrow. My friends are coming over and we're soaking our towels with nutrients (then we're off to see Shrek).

[This message has been edited by Gaffer (edited 05-23-2001).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.