Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Has anyone... (not at all sex related)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has anyone... (not at all sex related)
towel42
Activist
Member # 3118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for towel42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel guilty posting such an off-topic question on Scarleteen, but you all really are the best people to talk to. Everyone has had different sets of experience, and you're all just plain cool. So I'm posting this in the "all about you" section *because* its so wildly off topic.

Has anyone ever worked at a concession stand at a BIG, commercially publicised outdoor concert in the middle of the summer? (See? I told you it was off topic.)

I'm going to be doing just this in late May at this "Jamboree" concert hosted by a local radio station. Lot's of well-known alternative bands. I'm asking because, I'd like to know any tips to avoid getting sticky and disgusting, and any tips on keeping bees away. I know it sounds childish, but I've been stung before and I didn't like it. So I'm *deathly* afraid of bees.

Any tips would be appreciated! And if you live in the Illinois area and are coming to the concert, visit the concession booth being worked by four confused looking teenagers and lend us a hand!

------------------
...an angel who didn't so much fall as saunter vaguely downward...

Posts: 256 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha! We must be related. Truthfully, I'm allergic to them, so I can rationalize my fear as valid.

For many years, I ran outdoor Farmer's Markets in downtown Chicago (Daley Plaza, the sprout stand -- if you're ever down there, and someone is still running the sprout stand, get some sprouts!).

Bees were a given.

So, since with organic food, any serious pesticides were out, here is what all us vendors found worked for us, weird as it is.

Get a big bowl, and pour a bottle of Mountain Dew soda into it. Then squeeze dish soap into the mix, so that about an inch of it sits on the bottom. Put the bowl as far away from you as possible, and preferably in the sun. the bees fly in, and most of them can't get out.

In addition, be sure not to wear perfumes, scented lotions or suncreens, etc. Unscented products are your friends.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 67145 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya know Miz S., my grandmother used to do the same thing, only she used cherry kool aid. I thought we were just weird ... lol She told me that they like the sugar. I don't know if she ever put anything sticky in it, b/c it was in some sort of big dish thing that they couldn't get out of anyway. I remember her emptying it out and all these dead bodies on the bottom ... eww ...
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
towel42
Activist
Member # 3118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for towel42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I was in Daley Plaza on Thursday. I was with a bunch of kids from school, and we were acting like idiots, climbing up onto the big Van Gogh statue and taking pictures while sliding down. Hee-hee.

But really, thanks for the tip Miz S. I'll be sure to bring it up to my peers. Anything that keeps the bees away from us is good.

------------------
...an angel who didn't so much fall as saunter vaguely downward...

Posts: 256 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rachel
Activist
Member # 1941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rachel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ah i'll have to try that. I am not allergic to bees but i remember this one time when i was 10 years old. It was July 4th and my mom asked me to go get the mail from the mailbox out infront of our house. I didn't have shoes on and didn't feel like putting them on just to go out to the mailbox, so i ran out the mailbox and got the mail. As i was coming back up i wasn't looking where i was goin and stepped right on a bee. I remember i was screaming and crying. In the next hour my foot swelled up like twice the size my foot was huge i couldn't even fit it in my shoes. We had to go to the emergency room rather than my Grandparents 4th of July picnic (and afterwards fireworks at this park). I was pretty upset but the doctor told me to put ice on it and the swelling should go down. We at least got to see the fireworks but i remember it took about 2 weeks for the swelling to go down it was nuts.

[This message has been edited by Rachel (edited 04-28-2001).]

Posts: 64 | From: Long Island NY | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
towel42
Activist
Member # 3118

Rachel -- thats freaking *exactly* what happened to me! Except I was on my great aunt's front porch. Bottom of my foot -- pain, swelling, little stinger jammed in there and all.

------------------
...an angel who didn't so much fall as saunter vaguely downwards...

"Ni! Ni! Niii!" -Monty Python & the Holy Grail

"Ennui is insufficient reason to commit suicide." -Neil Gaiman

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.