Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Guilty Pleasures (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Guilty Pleasures
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll confess, I have a mild addiction to Dr. Laura's radio show. Whenever my significant other is out of the apartment on weekday afternoons, that awful (at least I think) woman keeps me company.

I can't explain why I do it, she just draws me in, and grabs my attention, and angers me.

I probably have more guilty pleasures, that I'll come back with later.

In the meantime, confession is good for the soul, right? Get it all off your chest right here.

------------------
When you get off work tonight, meet me at the construction site, and we'll write some notes to tape to the heavy machines, like "We hope they treat you well. Hope you don't work too hard. We hope you get to be happy sometimes."
-the Weakerthans

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlinkN*boys182
Activist
Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlinkN*boys182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same exact "issue". I listen to Delia on the radio and she makes me so angry. She sets women back to the 18 hundreds. but i can not stop listening to her psyhcobabal BS. owell it keeps me entertained for the afternoon!
Abby

------------------
Daddy would u like some saugages?

Posts: 60 | From: over the rainbow | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to watch the PTL (Pass the Loot) Club. It was like watching a train wreck. I kept expecting Tammy Faye Bakker to dissemble right on camera. Actually, I knew the show was videotaped and edited so I wasn't going to see that but it still held a grimm fascination.
Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me? Im addicted to Scarleteen. Whoee!

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trashy romance novels and *whispers* beauty magazines. I really can't explain the lure of the beauty magazines at all.

~KittenGoddess

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
towel42
Activist
Member # 3118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for towel42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hee...mine's the Disney Channel. That is *so* incredibly sad. The programs and movies are so unbearably corny that they become endearing, I guess. Or it could just be that I have no life and music videos can only hold my attention for so long. I mostly like "So Wierd" and "In a Heartbeat". Gosh, I'm a dork! *keels over* Oh, and the other one is that I *liked* how Hannibal (The BOOK, NOT the movie) ended. Hee...

------------------
...an angel who didn't so much fall as saunter vaguely downward...

Posts: 256 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Confession: when I am at home and dead bored (or doing the ironing) I watch QVC (the british version). I just love the accent so much. And seeing two people talk about pans/an alarm system/a night cream/ugly female clothing for an hour makes you think that the world is a place without trouble.

And then there's the "GOD" channel, too (british, too). I enjoy watching fundamentalist christian television, because it is so not me. (Touch the screen! Feel the power of the Lord touch you through the screen!"
And "7th Heaven". The moral of this show makes me want to throw up/die laughing at the same time. It's hilarious. Sing the title melody around my friend Tina and me, and we will start to dance immediately.

I get a kick out of those three. And I hope you still like me. *pleading look*

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*hangs head and mumbles*
I like Britney Spears.

Also, I apparently have poor taste in movies; if asked to name my favorite movies, the films that spring to mind aren't critically acclaimed masterpieces. No, they're things that are almost trashy and aren't really good for me the way better films supposedly are: Interview with the Vampire, Contact,, and Hannibal. None of these are bad movies, but they're not great art, either; and the embarrassing part isn't that I like them, but that I like them a lot more than the aformentioned art.

The Britney thing is far more shameful, though.

[This message has been edited by Lynne (edited 04-27-2001).]

Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlinkN*boys182
Activist
Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlinkN*boys182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by towel42:
Hee...mine's the Disney Channel.

OMG me too! i love so weird i am addicted to it!
i get so POed iff i cant watch it on Friday!

[This message has been edited by BlinkN*boys182 (edited 04-27-2001).]

Posts: 60 | From: over the rainbow | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too am addicted to So Weird, but only the old version with Fi, I hope she comes back on the show.

I am addicted to musicals. From Man of La Mancha to Rent, I love them all.

Oh, and I like strange hats (practically evey kind, except for baseball caps--I don't like those).

Don't tell anyone though.

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daisyluv
Activist
Member # 446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daisyluv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine is sitting down the the latest issue of Allure and a pack of super nibs and a peach juice.

Or watching the View the mornings that I can (traslate - days not working)

------------------
*~ Daisy ~*
"It's 8am and today I wanna save the world.
.....I'll start from my bed."

Posts: 123 | From: My House, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Extremely trashy romance novels, Judith McNaught and swooning English countesses no less and too many trashy TV shows to even count.

And Survivor II.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
$uMMeR
Activist
Member # 2658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for $uMMeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, magazines from Australia, romance novels, a couple of lousy satellite channels, and tiny tops with black bell bottoms I wear ONLY around the house when ONLY my sisters or friends are in.

------------------
*Read my diary

*Read my page

*And...alwayz :)

Posts: 194 | From: city of Anghelz | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
star1120
Activist
Member # 1624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for star1120     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have 2..
1. (the not so bad) the school in the next town that ryan goes to has their own channel on tv and i watch sometimes if they have events that he may be in. i watched the NHS inductions just to see him... hehe

2. nsync... i don't know why? i hate the backstreet boys...they're horrible! but i like nsync... mostly just to dance to but if they're song comes on.. i won't change it.. i wouldn't go out and buy the cd, but i don't go out of my way to not listen to them.

ahh!!

------------------
" Life move pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Posts: 183 | From: ohio, usa | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have to say ... shows like Dawson's Creek, Gilmore Girls ... stuff like that. I love them. They seem soooo real ...LOL

I missed DC last nite tho

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I turned my addiction to magazines into something useful (well, maybe not useful.....but constructive)-I cut out all the pictures and adds I like and post them up all over my room or keep them in a journal . It's a lot of fun.

I don't think I have too many guilty pleasures, besides chocolate and shopping. Chewing on things is another one, I'm really bad with that. But I usually get to keep whatever I chew on. And AIM, I'm on it 24/7.

------------------
Best body type for a man? Chunky style. With extra gravy

[This message has been edited by pink (edited 04-28-2001).]

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with you, on the Dawson's Creek LilBlueSmurf. Last night, Dawson's mom had her baby (it's a girl) and Joey found out she isn't pregnant (we think).

------------------
When you get off work tonight, meet me at the construction site, and we'll write some notes to tape to the heavy machines, like "We hope they treat you well. Hope you don't work too hard. We hope you get to be happy sometimes."
-the Weakerthans

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clav
Activist
Member # 678

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clav     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzuunmod:
Last night, Dawson's mom had her baby (it's a girl) and Joey found out she isn't pregnant (we think).

Doh! Being from the UK, we're way behind you. Joey and Pacey have only just had sex for the first time, and Dawsons mum only recently realised she was pregnant and kept it. So now I know the upcoming plotlines...
I'll agree with you on the show though! I have to admit to liking Buffy/Angel as well. What can I say? I like the tacky B-movie style (David Boreanaz helps as well... ). (please don't say upcoming (eg series 5 Btvs, series 2 A:ts plotlines )

Calvin
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science" (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 54 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No TV, so I can only go so far down the slippery slope.

But I am an utter criminology junkie. And when good criminology books aren't available, I head right for the pulpy True Crime. I read crime in the bathtub in the morning, and in bed at night. Incessantly.

Really, I am an addict. It may be an illness.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rachel
Activist
Member # 1941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rachel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am addicted to Dawson's creek too, but sadly i missed to last episode. I am also addicted to a new show Gilmore Girls. I don't know why but i like that show lol.
Posts: 64 | From: Long Island NY | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
towel42
Activist
Member # 3118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for towel42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clav...oooh, just *wait* 'till you see season five of Buffy. We're towards the end of the season here in the states, and you're in for some surprises.

I won't say much, just that most of it centers around Spike.

*bites her lip* Oooh, can't I say anything? Anything at all? *jumps around*

P.S. Buffy and Angel are the best damn shows on television. Damn their sometimes crappy special effects, their extremely well acted and well written.

------------------
...an angel who didn't so much fall as saunter vaguely downward...

Posts: 256 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rachel
Activist
Member # 1941

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rachel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really Towel? I've seen Buffy i think once or twice and i didn't understand it. I guess it's one of those shows that you have to watch every week to understand it. Then again my Mom tried watching Dawson's Creek with me one night and she was asking me questions threw the whole thing lol. My Mom and i have a date though every Thursday to watch Gilmore Girls together so at least she knows that one lol.
Posts: 64 | From: Long Island NY | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Buffy kicks butt so much. I didn't list it as a guilty pleasure because it is a pleasure. Full stop.

And Heather, I know what you mean about the crime. Have you been to this website? www.crimelibrary.com

I went there once and stayed there for 5 hours, reading till my eyes turned red.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Eeek! Clav, I'm sorry! I posted that without thinking! No more TV talk for me.

------------------
-the Weakerthans

KPHos24
Neophyte
Member # 3501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KPHos24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll agree with Lin on the www.crimelibrary.com website. I once spent all day at work reading most of the stories on there. I never realized there were so many sick people in this world until I went to that website.

Another guilty pleasure I have is that I like to go to this utterly horrible website www.rotten.com. I don't know why but my curiosity gets the best of me sometimes. I advise the people with weak stomachs not to visit rotten.com because it's very disgusting.

Adios my friends.

------------------
Metatron: You people! If it hasn't been made into a movie, it's not worth knowing about, is that it?

Serendipity: I have issues with anyone who treats faith as a burden instead of a blessing. You people don't celebrate your faith; you mourn it.

From the movie Dogma

Posts: 3 | From: Wyoming, MI USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
exit seraphim
Activist
Member # 2566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for exit seraphim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
American High, which is now airing on PBS at 10 wednesday nights, and most definately Gilmore Girls....i love it...i really do. more fun then dawsons, definately not preachy.

reeses peanut butter cups, red swedish fish, choc/powdered donettes, cocoa crispies...

Francesca Lia Block books, NYLON and JANE magazines

sitting on my front stoop in the fall eating oreos with milk and listening to the drumline...

sleeping till 2 on a sunday!

-justine

------------------
have i been wrong?
have i been wise?
to shut my eyes and play along?

Posts: 142 | From: H*Ton, NY | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kemper's Orange Cream Soda. I don't drink much plain water.

most of my guilty pleasures involve eating food. oi! ice cream, sushi, french fries -- but not necessarily at the same time.

i thought of one. okay, don't laugh. as much as i'm a total indie rock snob, i like to listen to phil collins. dangit! i said stop laughing! there, i said it. now i'm out of the proverbial closet.

------------------
The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the universe is constantly moving to a state of greater entropy s, therefore, delta s is always greater than zero.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
towel42
Activist
Member # 3118

Seraphim, this boy I know was on American High. Name's Tristan, he was dancing or something...I missed it and I'm quite pissed.

------------------
...an angel who didn't so much fall as saunter vaguely downwards...

"Ni! Ni! Niii!" -Monty Python & the Holy Grail

"Ennui is insufficient reason to commit suicide." -Neil Gaiman

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh wow... thx Dzuun

But i must've missed a lot, b/c i didn't even know that Joey thought she was pregnant at all. Geeperz ... Anyway, thx

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purple256
Neophyte
Member # 3566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple256     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I admit I'm addicted to corny TV shows like Making the Band, Popstars and Popular. I actually felt bad about missing them when I went to California during the time they aired an episode! Well, that's what recaps like Mighty Big TV are for, right?
Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

OMG Reeses peanut butter cups. I went to a friend's house and she offered me one. I ended up eating everything. The model guest.

And yes, Making the band is indeed another guilty pleasure when I do get to watch it. Geez, these guys cry a heck of alot.

------------------
Want More Lin?

Lisa D
Activist
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guilty pleasures? Oh yes, I have a few...

First off, I can't lump Buffy and Angel into the "GP" pile because I think they are two of the most well-written, professionally-shot shows on television. All the Eps are shot just like movies. As far as good writing goes, I'd like to offer up for consideration the episodes "The Body" (if that doesn't receive an emmy this year, I will be quite surprised - it is one of the finest hours of television i have ever seen) "Passions," and "Wish." Angel, while still finding itself, is a great show in it's own right...

Miz S - if you can swing video copies of Buffy, I'd definitely check them out - I think you'd like them!

However, i would definitely call my mild obsessions with "Martial Law" and "Beastmaster" Guilty pleasures. Martial Law rocks! Funny, it is the only show I've seen that is comprised almost completely of minoroties and women, except of course the token cop/white guy that is there pretty much for comic relief...

I'm also a magazine fiend. I adore Allure (I'm a makeup junkie, which is another guilty pleasure) and Mode (wow, models who are the size I am! I can actually see what clothes will look like on me!)

I'm also given to dropping $25 on a good bottle of wine for no reason. I admit, I enjoy treating myself! (when I can afford to

Posts: 442 | From: Dublin, OH USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moth
Activist
Member # 2606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't watch TV, but I am absolutely addicted to fantasy novels. I listen to music incessantly (especially Ani Difranco and Tori Amos and Johann Sebastian Bach). Though in the logical part of my mind, I'm atheist, every other part of me is Pagan. I enjoy it too much! And, of course, on-line message boards . . .
Posts: 72 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa D
Activist
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey moth -

I just started the Wheel of time series by Robert Jordan, and I am Sooooo lovin' it! Although he uses very familiar characters, i really think he makes them his own...

Posts: 442 | From: Dublin, OH USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allicat1
Neophyte
Member # 3292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allicat1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i watch Dawson's Creek. and Mtv's Undressed. And then there is chocolate. but thats a giving. Oh and for all the romance novel junkies, mgo to http://www.aghostwriter.com been there a few times (everyday for a few months) and its fairly good.
Posts: 10 | From: US | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.