Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » What's your Philosophy on life? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What's your Philosophy on life?
towel42
Activist
Member # 3118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for towel42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Broad topic, right? I know. It's just recently I bought this journal, and it has this long quote in the front cover. I know I've heard it somewhere before, but it's just so beautiful. I think it eloquently states my Philosophy on life. So, I'm gonna post it here. I'd like to hear everyone else's philosophy, too. Whenever I'm down, or need inspiration, I read this. You get the idea.

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible withour surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.

"Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain & bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

"Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.

"Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity & disenchantment it is perennial as the grass.

"Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of loneliness and fatigue. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

"You are a child of the Universe, no less than the Trees and the Stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the Universe is unfolding as it should.

"Therefore, be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors & aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

"With all it's sham, drudgery & broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy."

--Found in Old Saint Paul's Church, Baltimore, dated 1692.

*sighs* Speaks for itself, eh? So go on, post your thoughts, quotes, inspirations, whatever!

------------------
...an angel who didn't so much fall as saunter vaguely downward...

Posts: 256 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"you do good, you get good."

actually, that's a buddhist axiom. but i'm a buddhist, so it works for me.

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's my philosophy on life?

"Yyyeeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhhh, Baby!"

Everything I need to know about life I learned from "Ferris Bueller's Day Off".

--Danny

------------------
It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood...

ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All I Really Needed to Know I learned in Kindergarten is an excellent play on this subject. So what they talk about in it is what I see life as now.

------------------
feel charming
Oh so charming
It's alarming how charming I feel
And so pretty
That I hardly can believe I'm real

I Feel Pretty from the West Side Story

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe in a) karma and b) the futility of trying to create your own destiny i.e everything happens for a reason.

entropie

------------------
Scarleteen Advocate, not to be confused with Advocaat

I have yet to meet a C compiler that is more friendly and easier to use than eating soup with a knife.

The three most dangerous things are a programmer with a soldering iron, a manager who codes, and a user who gets ideas.

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must be myself, and take everything that comes at me.

------------------
"You're older than you've ever been, and now you're even older... You're older than you've ever been, and now you're even older
And now you're older still..." -Older by TMBG

"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well And that's be you, be what you're like, be like yourself, and so I'm having a wonderful time..." Whistling in the Dark by TMBG

"Everyone looks naked when you know the world's address.."
The World's Address by TMBG

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Dreams are like stars: though you may not touch them with your hand, if you set your course and steer by them they will guide you."
Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cuddleslut
Activist
Member # 3349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cuddleslut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"BE HAPPY"
that about sums up everything. doesn't it?

------------------
It's sickening how comforting the privacy of the mind can be...

Posts: 120 | From: california...well, at least it sounds cool. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
$uMMeR
Activist
Member # 2658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for $uMMeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You don't regret the things that you do, only the things which you don't do." I usually shorten this into: "GO FOR IT!"

One of my other favourites (only because it's amusing) happens to be my older sister's favourite piece of advice: "When you climb the ladder of success, don't let the boys look up your dress."

------------------
*Read my diary

*Read my page

*And...alwayz :)

Posts: 194 | From: city of Anghelz | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Activist
Member # 3426

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That original quote is really, really beautiful. It doesn't sound at all like something that was written in 1692 - if it was, that's pretty impressive.

I don't know that my philosophy can really be summed up in a thirty-second sound bite, but here's a quote that I've always liked:

"There are three stages of enlightenment:
The first is when you realize that you don't know all the answers,
The second is when you realize that there aren't any answers,
The third is when you realize that there aren't any questions."

Anybody know the origin of this? Buddhist? Taoist? Zen?

------------------
Banana, pineapple, passion fruit, papaya, cherimoya, coconut, carambola, mango,
tango, mambo, limbo, samba, cha cha cha!

Posts: 107 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few days after i read this, i was looking around the living room and i found this thing. I read it and realized that it was the same thing from this site. I asked my mom who's it was and if i could have it. It used to be hers, and she said of course. Now i have it in my room on the wall, and i think that those are wonderful words to live by.

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuu
Activist
Member # 742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryuu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BruinDan:
What's my philosophy on life?

"Yyyeeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhhh, Baby!"

Everything I need to know about life I learned from "Ferris Bueller's Day Off".

--Danny

You mean you weren't quoting Austin Powers?

Posts: 82 | From: Colorado, US | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laughs_Wisely
Activist
Member # 2610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laughs_Wisely     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My philosophy on life...hmm.

No one but me makes choices for me.
I will die. This is the truth. I must accept that.
No one's opinion of me matters; I'm the one who has to live with myself.

It's pretty stark, and there are daily variations, but that's the very most basic chunk of it.

Posts: 140 | From: Saskatoon, SK, Canada | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The poem is entitled "Desiderata" and was composed in 1927 by Max Ehrmann. It was distributed as an inspirational piece by the rector of St. Paul's Church, Baltimore in 1956. St. Pauls was founded in 1692 which has led to some confusion.

Information is available here:

http://www.jump.net/~lswote/desiderata.html

------------------
The most exciting phrase in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" ("I found it!") but rather "Hmmm... that's funny...."

- Isaac Asimov

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
towel42
Activist
Member # 3118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for towel42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, that would explain it. I always thought it sounded a bit "modern" for 1692. That's just what it said in the journal.

Thanks for the info, Bobo.

------------------
...an angel who didn't so much fall as saunter vaguely downwards...

"Ni! Ni! Niii!" -Monty Python & the Holy Grail

"Ennui is insufficient reason to commit suicide." -Neil Gaiman

Posts: 256 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
powergirl
Neophyte
Member # 3494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for powergirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lets see mine is..... god gave me a mind and i will speak it no one can do that for me but my self.....
Posts: 13 | From: usa | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my philosophy:

[T]he natural condition of humans is a state of perpetual war of all against all, where no morality exists, and everyone lives in constant fear [Hobbes concludes that]:

quote:
In such condition, there is no place for industry, because the fruit thereof is uncertain; and consequently no culture of the earth, no navigation, nor use of the commodities that may be imported by sea; no commodious building, no instruments of moving and removing such things as require much force; no knowledge of the face of the earth, no account of time, no arts, no letters, no society; and which is worst of all, continual fear and danger of violent death; and the life of people, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short.

Hobbes continues offering proofs that the state of nature would be as brutal as he describes. We see signs of this in the mistrust we show of others in our daily lives. In countries which have yet to be civilized people treat are barbaric to each other. Finally, in the absence of international law, strong countries prey on the weakness of weak countries. Humans have three motivations for ending this state of war: the fear of death, the desire to have an adequate living, and the hope to attain this through one's labor. Nevertheless, until the state of war ends, each person has a right to everything, including another person's life.

To learn more about Hobbes and his philosophy visit: Thomas Hobbes [Internet Encylopedia of philosophy]

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You get out of life what you put in.

It's applies to everything in life, even if it's just a hug for someone you love. How many great things you get out of something depends on the amount of effort you put into it.

More when I find theories I really like.

[This message has been edited by Daydreamer24 (edited 12-18-2002).]

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angel07
Activist
Member # 8018

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ummm i have lots but here are a couple i dont know who said them or where they came from but ive heard them.

shoot for the moon because if you miss, youll still be among the stars

dont worry,be happy. <--simple!

remember, today is the first day of the rest of your life.

live every day as if it was your last.

Posts: 131 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Be".
Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sh*t happens.

There's a bit more to it than that, but I'm not getting into it at the moment.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS

Where are my goddamn pants?
BDSA

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude_who_writes
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5640

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dude_who_writes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Billie Holliday:
I never hurt nobody but myself and that's nobody business but by own.

That pretty much sums up my feeling on the way life does (or at the very least, should) work. Do whatever makes you happy, whether it may be a potentially self-destructive activity or not -- as long as you harm no one but yourself.

I also believe that as a person, we should question everything. Just because tradition is comfortable and expected, doesn't mean that it's right. I think that it's our job and our reason for being to find out the answers to life's big questions (and even life's small questions) on our own.

I'm also a big believer in Karma, mainly because it's the easiest way to explain when my day has totally sucked. Chalk it up to bad karmic debt from a previous life.

------------------
Tim,
Scarleteen Advocate

Don't get strung out by the way I look, don't judge a book by its cover... -- Sweet Transvestite, Rocky Horror.

Posts: 712 | From: Michigan, US | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be who I want to be. Do what I want to do. Love who I want to love. Do something for the sake of experience, but learn from the advice and mistakes of others. Just know that everything will be all right. It may not go off as planned, what happens will, and look forward to it. Don't let somebody get too far beneath your skin, because it makes for difficulties when forgiveness is needed and wanted. But let some get just far enough in your skin to make a difference in your life.

Ever watch a dog? I'll take Suz for example. This little thing has been through the mill. An old, 14 year old arthritic animal. But her purest joy in life comes from a little bit of affection. That person who scratched her right behind the ear for a second, or the person who threw her tennis ball for an hour. Any unkindness or harsh word is forgotten, just as long as there is somebody to let her know that the world is not all bad, and that somebody will still scratch her behind the ears.

Sometimes I wish I was born a dog. They are the embodiment of happiness.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, yeah. Karma.
Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blond ambition
Activist
Member # 9051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blond ambition     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gumdrop Girl your a Buddhist!?
I am too!..well not full fledged, but i love it soo much!
Ive always been intrested in studying philosophy...buddha, nietche, and confusciuos! I love reading about them, im facinated.
My friend bought me a buddha statue for my 18th birthday.
and i was soo happy when lisa simpson became a buddhist!
Theres a small temple in my home town that me and my guy wanted to go to, but theres a big fence around it
I guess a philosophy i try to go by is "live life for the moments if nothing else."

Posts: 351 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summergoddess
Activist
Member # 11352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summergoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My philosophy on life, so live it to the fullest as if there's no tomorrow. Be yourself. Turn all experiences into positive opportunities for the future

------------------
~Jules

Posts: 369 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunset_Rose
Activist
Member # 10181

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Sunset_Rose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At such a young age, I feel there is so much of life still to see that I would be cheating to say that i know the one truth to live through the rest of my life!

Having said that, what little experience of life I have had has been very full, and varied, and wonderful, so I think that the most beautiful and wonderful truth I have learned is the one that I try to live by.

To never hold back your feelings- Love completly, with all of your soul. Help others to happiness, so that you can achieve it with them. Hold nothing back, and live life in the best and most heartfelt way, because it is through your soul that all happiness appears.

Posts: 123 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatsthatmommy
Activist
Member # 7869

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Whatsthatmommy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently decided on my philosophy in life. Instead of the ever popular "WWJD?" (what would jesus do) i have have adopted "WWATHD?" what would Attila The Hun do? Incase you were sleeping in your world history class, Attilla The Hun was a barbarian General who went Undefeated in battle.He is probably one of the most cutthroat people ever in history. Anybody in his way to succsess he destroyed. So basicly i think that you have to try your hardest to succeed or you will fail, and always be the one to get the last laugh. I figure i get 105 years tops to be the best so i wanna leave a permanant mark on history.

------------------
Friends don't let friends vote Liberal.

Posts: 69 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
loveisred
Neophyte
Member # 11608

Icon 3 posted      Profile for loveisred     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my philosophy is to love people w/o regarding anything about them. to let myself love unconditionally
Posts: 5 | From: wichita ks USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blond ambition:
Gumdrop Girl your a Buddhist!?
I am too!..well not full fledged, but i love it soo much!

Yes, I am. I was raised in a Buddhist household. My family is from Thailand, and 95% of the population there is Buddhist.

Read more about my religious practices here http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum7/HTML/000278.html

As for Nietzsche, I recommend reading "The Gay Science." Of course, in that book, he says that faith is the greatest human fault.

As for philosophy, now that I have a Toyota, I also believe strongly in carma. Meaning, if you drive like an A-hole, you will get yours. Last week, I was stopped behind a person turning left at a busy intersection. I waited patiently, but the cars behind me started honking. They tried to zip around and past me (there was only one lane, btw). Sure enough, a bunch of them collided. That's what they get!!!

------------------
According to the experts, I am some species of badass.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babygrrl13
Neophyte
Member # 11623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babygrrl13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmm...my philosiphy on life......

I am who I am and if somebody cant accept that, thats their problem not mine.

Thats my philosiphy on life....

Becka

------------------
this is Babygur13 but i messed with my email address and for some odd reason cant get mail under the other email address

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babygrrl13
Neophyte
Member # 11623

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babygrrl13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh and "when life gives you lemons make lemonaide"

Becka

------------------
this is Babygur13 but i messed with my email address and for some odd reason cant get mail under the other email address

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 4 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babygrrl13:
I am who I am ...

Yes, but are you who you say you are?

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," PSOM

"Battery Stolen; Youth Charged"

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babygrrl13
Neophyte
Member # 11623

Icon 9 posted      Profile for babygrrl13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whats that supposed to mean?.....Am I taking something the wrong way?....what was that comment supposed to mean.....Maybe im taking something the wrong way but it sounded like an accusation.......

Becka

babygrrl13
Neophyte
Member # 11623

sorry this is still continueing.......It sounded like an accusation of something...of what i have no idea but it sounded like an accusation of something.......am i taking this the wrong way?...please explain what tat meant...

Becka

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.