Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Britney Spears.....A ROLE model?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Britney Spears.....A ROLE model?
BlinkN*boys182
Activist
Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlinkN*boys182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just babysitting my little cousin, when her fav. singer came on...Britney Spears. It was one of the Pepsi commercals she is doing and my 5 yo cousin was so impressed because she could whare a "bra" (really a belly shirt) and her mother wouldnt care. Then after that she whent into her moms bras and put on one anouceing she was Britney. Now I ask you, is this really what we want little girls to think this is right, or pretty? I don't think so, what are your veiws?

------------------
A day without laughter is a day I come closer to death.

Posts: 60 | From: over the rainbow | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, that doesn't always send a good message to little girls. Many of them will see a Britney Spears commercial or video and think its alright to wear skimpy/sheer clothes. I was watching a really old Britney video the other day (I think it was "sometimes") and I thought it was much better than some of her recent ones. She had on normal clothes (it showed her belly a bit, but not too much) and she still looked really pretty. I respected her more then, because she didn't show everything off.

Really, I like Britney Spears' music, I just wish she would dress slightly less revealing. I have nothing against her being a role model for her singing or her dancing, but I thinks its bad when little kids start saying "I want to dress just like Britney." Like I've said before, she would still be "sexy" in the eyes of many people even if she didn't wear the type of clothing she does now.

But that's just my opinion.

------------------
*^Lucky^*
Come check out what's goin on in Lucky's mind!

"At one point we decided to fight fire with fire. Well...basically...your house burned even faster."

"Outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey blinky, why not say, "just because britney can do it, doesn't mean it's right."

uggh, the pop-tart again. too bad she's too young for a good dose of punk rawk.

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel
Activist
Member # 2870

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, any girl is going to do her best to look her best, that's the bottom line. If little girls are trying to copy her, then proper role models should step in, like big sisters, older girl or simply parents.
Posts: 105 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrazyGirl
Activist
Member # 2648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrazyGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, read this in Glamour: "The Church of England hailed 19-year-old Britney Spears a saint for speaking openly about her virginity. But the title isn't official yet-she first must live a holy life, a la Mother Teresa." A saint for speaking openly about her virginity?? I heard Jessica Simpson speak openly about her virginity before Britney - and Jessica dresses more appropriately in my opinion. I do like Britney... she seems like a nice person. But often her actions don't mesh well with what she says she believes. Guess I just don't understand the pop world.

------------------
"Always shoot for the moon because even if you miss you'll land among the stars." -Unknown

[This message has been edited by CrazyGirl (edited 04-07-2001).]

Posts: 136 | From: City of Angels | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*ShellerBabe*
Activist
Member # 252

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *ShellerBabe*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Britney rules...i've gotten that song in my head all day long.."Ride, just enjoy the ride, dont need a reason why, everything's allright..BA BA BA BA BA BA BA BA the joy of pepsi yeahhhh"
Posts: 117 | From: America..~*hehe*~ | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today, I dressed in an old velvet top and shredded jeans. I brushed my hair, tied it up, and spent the day cleaning, cooking, and spending time with my new kittens. I didn't dress to look my best, because I'm happy with how I am. I didn't dress for what anyone would think of me, either. I just dressed. We're not all that concerned with our looks, Daniel.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that the rumour she has been made a saint is a load of BS. I know I wouldn't want anyone I knew using her for a role model, in fact I don't think we need role models, we should all just be ourselves and not copy others or aim to be someone we're not.

Winnie :0)

------------------
Keeper of:
Scully's bra (EA)
Mulders Wheelchair (SE)
Scene where S tells Sk she's pregnant. (Req)
Scully's green suede jacket (Unn)

Member of GAWS

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw Britney's latest MTV and the camera was on her breasts 70% of the time.

Didn't she feel sick watching the edited version? I would have.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlirtieGirlie
Activist
Member # 2510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlirtieGirlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Technically, since Britney is a grown woman, she should be able to wear pretty much whatever she wants. But she needs to realize that she is in the public eye, and most of what she does, says, and wears is seen by millions of people. I think she should tone down her look a little bit, because whether or not she wants to be, she is a role model for younger girls. Younger girls who should not be wearing half the stuff Britney does.

------------------
Kids in the backseat cause accidents. Accidents in the backseats cause kids! (So be careful!)

Posts: 141 | From: The Bolton Ghetto, Mass. :-) | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...or perhaps we should base being a "role model" on something other than how someone dresses?

For instance, Mother Theresa, based on how she dressed alone, wouldn't have been anything to write home about. Ghandi basically wore a diaper. Jesus was spoting a barely-there toga most of the time. And that Buddha! He walked around with his belly hanging out all over the place!

So, what's the deal? If Britney Spears is a role model, WHY is she a role model? In other words, what does she do that is worthy of respect and admiration, and can her clothing negate those things?

And do you think you might just be applying a double standard here?

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 04-08-2001).]

Posts: 68226 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was so good Heather!!!! I can just imagine someone going up to Mother Theresa and giving her an award for her fine work and sensible shoes.

------------------
Louise Lalonde
-Scarleteen Sexpert & Volunteer du Jour

"Glad to have a friend like you,
And glad to just be me"
-Carol Hall

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I honestly don't know. The Pepsi commercial was just hilarious. My little cousin Nya just turned 7. She likes Britney, but she says "I think she needs to wear more clothes." So, not everyone under 8 is so into her.

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus
________
masterbating is what the MASTERS do.

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI -- you have to be dead to be sainted. Them's the rules.
Posts: 68226 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was fab Heather darling.

Loved the Buddha one. I adore the Laughing Buddha. He makes me incredibly happy.

I don't see her as a role model. Earning a million buckaroos when you are 19 is fab but it's no biggie. And stating in public that you are a virgin doesn't necessarily make you one. As we all know, the notion of virginity is unique to everybody.

I understand her lack of clothing when she is performing and all that coz she must be sweating buckets and I do feel she puts in alot of effort. Even if I feel are for the wrong reasons like doing a gazillion sit ups to flatten her tummy after the disgusting press reported on her baby fat.

But what is worrying is that I think her management is banking on her body and looks to sell, check out mentioned MTV "Don't let me be the last to know" which has her doing zilch but frolicking with a half naked guy wearing a string bikini. The fact that the camera was on her breasts most of the time doesn't say much for how she is regarded by her company.

I don't think less of her because she wears less. In fact, I like it when women dress to show how much they love their own body. But I just hope that that is the case here. Wouldn't like thinking the poor 20 yr old is being forced by her manageent to dress sexily to sell records.

BTW, I think it's amazing how many threads we can have on Britney Spears.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't mind britney, but in my opinion clothes often reflect the person. People who dress punk rock usually like punk rock, people who dress gothic are gothic, and people who dress conservatively often are conservative. At least from the people I know. If Britney dresses skimpy then it's for a reason. She apparently wants guys to drool over her and look at her half-naked body. I just respected her much more when she didn't show everything off. If you wear more clothes, people have something to think about. If you dress in skimpy clothes, they've basically seen everything already. It leaves nothing to the imagination. Jennifer Lopez wears a bit more clothing (she has been known to show her belly a bit, but have you ever seen her in most of the clothes Britney wears?) and alot of guys still think she's sexy. And she's a great singer.

------------------
*^Lucky^*
Come check out what's goin on in Lucky's mind!

"At one point we decided to fight fire with fire. Well...basically...your house burned even faster."

"Outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i gotta argue with Lucky a moment here about the punk rock bit.

thanks to the fashion industry insulting our collective intelligences again, they're trying to popularize 80's punk-style tshirts and belts and stuff. they sell it at nordstroms and wet seal et al, whose target shopping clientele are not likely to own a copy of 'London Calling.' uggh.

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Britney is no more of a role model than P-Diddy (teehee!), N'Suck, or the rest of mainstream pop music.

Lets face it, all it takes is a bit of publicity and you can go from being just stupid, to being famous, rich, and stupid! The music industry today is not about originality or talent.

If you want a role model, try looking away from music or sports. Look for a humanitarian, scientist, or someone who has achieved something great.

Even Ghengiz Khan achieved more, and with more talent, than Britney Spears. The other big difference is that he butchered people, while she butchers music. ;p

------------------
Stuff© - try some today!.

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Siren
Activist
Member # 3243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole Britney Spears thing upsets me, angers me even. All these little girls looking up to someone who doesn't give out any real message. I believe she does have some sort of talent, and that is being pretty, and somehow along the lines she learned to sing and even dance. But, she has no real message, and role model? What the heck is she a role model for? I thought role models were people who made a difference and have acheived something......

------------------
Lil Siren

Posts: 190 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diva2000
Neophyte
Member # 3353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diva2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SPEAR BRITNEY

I think Britney is a very bad role model.

First of all I worked at a couple Britney Spears concerts in Chicago last June. It was disgusting to see hundreds of little girls(between the ages of 6 & 11) Dressed up like little sluts and hookers, that all wanted to be "just like Britney." Little girls need to learn that it isn't right to just throw on a bikini top and a plether mini-skirt at the age of 10. With all the little tube tops, red lipstick and high-heals those girls looked more like they were planning on working the corner than going to a concert. Besides, where are the parents? Why would you spend $50+ to let your 9 yo daughter go to a BS concert anyways?

Also I hate how channels like Disney and Nickelodeon play her videos and concerts constantly. I mean its OK on MTV but why on channels that only little kids watch.

[This message has been edited by Diva2000 (edited 04-15-2001).]

Posts: 37 | From: Chicago,Il,USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Diva honey, I will have to ask you to watch the words you use here.

Words like "slut" and "hooker" are just not acceptable here. Doesn't matter if you are using them on someone you like or not.

We at Scarleteen don't believe in judging people by what they wear or even how many people they have sex with. So let's refrain from the judgemental terms shall we?

Ruth
Neophyte
Member # 3381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ruth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess what I dislike most about Britney is the fact that she has openly proclaimed that she's a virgin, like it's supposed to make her some little good girl in the eyes of a thousand parents. Who cares? What you do in your bedroom is none of our business. And besides, just because someone is a virgin doesn't necessarily make them all innocent -- the way she dances and wears her "clothing" is a surefire indicator of that.

*sigh* I guess I just think it's kind of hypocritical how she says one thing with one meaning, and carries herself in the exact opposite way. Just some random thoughts from the peanut gallery.

--Ruth

------------------
I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it goes away.

Posts: 14 | From: Sikeston, MO | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshleyInABottle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems as if I'm the only Britney fan here (that's okay!). But anyways, I feel that she should be able to dress how ever she wants and not have worry about what other people think about her. Yes, she knows she has young fans, but why should she dress differently just because of that? I say, if she's comfy, then she should keep it up. Also, I think that she is a VERY sweet person and her great personality should be recognized. (Ok maybe I'm a unique case here since I have a teensy little celebrity crush on her!).

------------------
"I do what my rice krispies tell me to do"

Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andera
Neophyte
Member # 3378

Icon 1 posted      Profile for andera     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm a christian and sometimes feel offended by her attitude -she claims 2 deeply believe in god, but we all could see those piks of her drinking ALCOHOL at a club in nyc n in paris with her boyf (who's older than her) when she was still 17! not to talk about her latest vid where she appears half-naked!

is that the role model ppl want for their children?

------------------
{ by :: andrea __ !

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.