Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Job Interview

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Job Interview
ningrrl
Activist
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ningrrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everybody! Tomorrow I have my first job interview. It is at the research center. There they do experiments on plants and stuff like that. My question is, can anyone tell me what kinda questions they ask you at interviews?
Thanks!

------------------

shedding skin sucumb defeat
this machine is obsolete

Posts: 124 | From: Lucasville, OH, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well they'll probably ask you why you want to work there, and what makes you feel qualified for the job. What skills do you have, and what are your long term goals. Do you get along well with others, what would someone say about you if they asked. Stuff like that...

Just a quick tip about job interviews...dress up! Seriously, it doesn't matter what kind of job you're hoping to get, if you make a good impression and look professional you'll look that much better to them as a potential employee. A suit, or dress pants and a nice blouse are always a good way to go. But make sure that it's conservative...nothing short, nothing tight. I promise you'll get much better reactions from your interviewer...

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"Am I nervous? Am I scared? Is it worth it? Should I even care? ...Man I like this guy, I really like him alot!"
~Pam Tillis, 'Please'

~*~2 days till M-day~*~

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ones that I think they almost always ask are 'what are your greatest assets?' and 'what are some of your faults?'. That second one can be tricky. I usually say that I'm shy.

Another one that I think is pretty common is 'why should I/we hire you over the other applicants for this position?'.

------------------
When you get off work tonight, meet me at the construction site, and we'll write some notes to tape to the heavy machines, like "We hope they treat you well. Hope you don't work too hard. We hope you get to be happy sometimes."
-the Weakerthans

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, good luck!

What Kitten and Dzuun have already said so far is great.

I can also add a couple things, not only having been through many interviews, but also having done many interviews as a potential employer.

1) Do dress well, with one exception: if your job were to involve say, construction or digging in the dirt, looking like a fragile flower sends the wrong message. Dress as would be appropriate for work at that job, turned up one notch.

2) Bring your references with you. Having a page of two or three references to call, or written references is really helpful and makes a strong statement that you're trustworthy. And always ask references first before listing them.

3) Be honest and sincere. Really, as an employer I can say that those two things can make up for a lot: lack of experience, lack of previous work history, eyt. The best employee is usually the one who cares the most and is upfront and honest.

4) Avoid saying things like, "I really need this job," or "I'll work extra hours," or various things that make you look desparate or a little...well, off. Plus, you never want to make yourself indispensable from the outset of a job -- trust me on this, I have done this WAY too many times. It's an easy way to end up getting WAY more work than you can handle.

Hope that helps!

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've found employers sometimes ask at the end of the interview whether you have any questions for them. Its always good to do a bit of research into the company and have a few easy ones on hand just in case. But try not to make mention of money unless they mention it first!

I found this was my only downfall when applying for jobs...

entropie

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i was interviewed for a lab. they asked me bio questions like: what is a neuron? what is an antibody?

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
confused333
Activist
Member # 6450

Icon 1 posted      Profile for confused333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eek! Tomorrow I have my 1st interview at a candy store. Any other advice that what has already been posted? Any funny/humilating stories that happened while you were on your interview?

------------------
Why does a rose represent love, when a rose always dies??

Friends are like condoms, they help out when things get hard.

Posts: 473 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't particularly have any funny stories about my one and only job interview, but I'd like to throw in to try to be relaxed and confident.

I'm a really laid back person, so I rarely get nervous about stuff like that.

EDIT: I'd also like to throw in that I am so aware of the fact that this is about a year and almost a half late.

[This message has been edited by DrQuack5 (edited 07-29-2002).]

Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my last job interview, I was asked the common questions that have already been posted here- why I'd be good for the job, what could I bring to the job, what are my weaknessess, etc, but they also asked a few sort of "human interest" questions, such as "What makes you happy?" "What makes you sad?" "What makes you angry?" and "How do you deal with conflict in the outside world?" (they didn't want a workplace centred response). I was also asked about my personal values- nothing too intrusive, just certain standards of decency really.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yippeeee! I just got an interview for a place i've been wanting to work at for a while. I applied over a month ago and apparently they called me twice but never got a response.

I've had a few interviews, and i usually handle myself quite well, but one thing that always happens to me, my mouth gets all dry, so right before i make sure to drink water and put moisturiser on my lips.

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.