Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Raves

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Raves
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just want to know your views on Raves. Would you go to one? Do you know people who go to Raves?

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there aren't a lot of good raves around boston (as far as i know) - you have to do a bit of driving to get to one, usually. i've never been, but i know a few people who do.

i mean, i used to really want to go to one, just for the heck of it. but it's not really my style, i guess. too many people, too confusing. i don't even like big parties, so why would i like a rave? i have nothing against the drugs, raves are just not my scene.

em

------------------
Once in awhile you get shown the light
in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

-The Grateful Dead

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Raves in the old sense of moreorless underground big loud dance parties with lots of drugs, or in the new sense of notnecessarilyunderground, sometimesevencommercial big loud dance parties with lots of drugs?

Just wondering. Either way, we don't have them in Sarasota!

Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been to raves before. I don't like all the drugs. But I do love the music.

trouble is, there's fewer decent DJs out there as of late. uggh. And too many candyravers who are just out for another hit.

------------------
Kill your TV! And while you're at it, your mobile phone, too.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was lucky enough to be involved in the running of our country's largest outdoor dance party this last New Years Eve (I attended the one the year before as a punter) and I'm continuing to have involvement in them.

Unfortunately a lot of people perceive them in a bad light, particulary in respect to drug use within the dance scene..

It's very hard to explain accurately the feeling you get at a decent dance party such as the one I worked on. At midnight NYE the year before last, I was in a crowd of 10000 people, all dancing to the same music, promoting more peace and love than the 60's, all being carried on an emotional journey, lights pulsing and screams rising in our throats in one of the worlds most beautiful settings, on the top of Taakaka Hill, surrounded by native forest, stars above us..

Nothing can ever compare to the completely beautifulnatural high of being surrounded by sound and beautiful people on the same wavelength

Check out the photos on the site.. they don't do it justice, but you'll get the idea

entropie

------------------
Scarleteen Advocate, not to be confused with Advocaat

I have yet to meet a C compiler that is more friendly and easier to use than eating soup with a knife.

The three most dangerous things are a programmer with a soldering iron, a manager who codes, and a user who gets ideas.

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just be careful, okay? There've been some problems in Toronto with bad locale, like underground parking lots filling up with too much carbon monoxide due to bad ventilation (carbon monoxide absorbs the oxygen your lungs should be taking in and kills you that way), emergency workers not being able to get into certain areas, and therefore not being able to help people who've overdosed, and overcrowding leading to people passing out. Bear in mind, too, that there were enough problems with drugs in the sixties, and all the drugs used then still exist now, but are often stronger, and there are new, and even scarier ones out there. And there's not necessarily going to be anyone around to help.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh...the gaterhing...somewhere in that crowd are a bunch of my friends from CHCH!

I enjoyed raves for a few weeks back in 1996 - the sheer mass of people is amazing, the music can get hypnotic and what not, but what majorly annyoed me were the drugs. I just didn't like what Ecstasy was doing to people I knew, and didn't want to spend time around them being high and having the IQ of a hamster (no offense to Hamsters). Just look at the Loveparade (happens in Berlin, every June, big outside rave with about a million people or whatever). Urgh. It's not about music or dancing, but about getting high. Plus the DJs I do like (endorphine, Faithless, Moby) rarely do huge raves but prefer concert type appearances at festivals. Much better IMHO.
So nah, these days, raves are nothing for me.

Even though I'd go to the Gathering. Just because I've heard so much about it.

------------------
"I am capable of, but sometimes not interested in making myself happy."

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 03-12-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ella
Activist
Member # 1168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never been to a rave myself but I have a friend who's a party girl. She loves it cause she can dance and she loves what she can do with glow sticks. I'd like to go to a rave just to see what it's like. I don't much care for big parties, unless I have a lot of friends there, so who knows. If I went with her I think I'd have a LOT of fun.

It's not about drugs it's about the dancing and the music for most people I know though certain people do do E. I think anything that messes with your brain is just too dangerous.

Anyway, to sum it up, I'd like to try raving. It'd be fun

Posts: 303 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

quote:
Originally posted by Alaska:
oh...the gaterhing...somewhere in that crowd are a bunch of my friends from CHCH!

It'd be really scary if it were the same bunch I know..
Simon H? Joff? Jogle? Becca? Fran(moo)? Daisy?

Same people?

entropie

------------------

I have yet to meet a C compiler that is more friendly and easier to use than eating soup with a knife.

The three most dangerous things are a programmer with a soldering iron, a manager who codes, and a user who gets ideas.

Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How great that you bring up this topic. I've always wanted to go to a rave, and finally I met these two girls (they don't know each other, I met them seperatly) who want to take me to 'em. One is really cool and i'm way happy I met her (ooh, she's omnisexual too!) and we're planning on going to one this weekend.

I think it's a great way to go out and dance and meet people. My opinion on drugs is if you're using them safely then it's okay by me. Hmm, after I go to one I'll come back and post whether I still like them. I'm afraid that I'll end up liking the IDEA more then the EVENT.

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

This person is a natural product. The slight variations in color and texture enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never been to one, but my friend has gone to a few. She likes 'em, and she asked me if I wanted to go with her sometime, but I don't think it's for me. I'm not a partier, and I'm not big on being around drugs. But I have a question, wouldn't people there get arrested for doing drugs? I mean, if raves are known for having a lot of drugs, wouldn't there be cops around? JC.

Edited, because I had a lot of spelling errors :P

[This message has been edited by Mary (edited 03-12-2001).]

Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~KandyKiss69~
Activist
Member # 3052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~KandyKiss69~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ive never been to one! Id probably go just for the experience. I dont do drugs, so Id just go for the music and dancing!

------------------
Shine, make em wonder whatcha got!-Newsboys
(((Kristine)))

Posts: 66 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

It's a huge misconception that dance party's a drugs go hand in hand! Because they just don't. Drug use at raves isn't a huge issue, it's mostly the media that transform it into the evil pastime that people perceive.

Mary.. yes, there is usually a police presence at a lot of dance events, but especially in this country, it has gotten to a point where they realise that:
a) drug use isn't as widespread as they thought
b) people on drugs are a heck of a lot more controlled than people drinking
c) they can't do much about it and
d) the people that are doing it are doing it responsibly (most of the time).

A lot of people do initially take drugs when going to rave and dance parties, but I've found that this is usually only to loosen the inhibitions enough to enjoy the music fully. Once you've gotten past that barrier, you don't feel the need to take drugs the next time.

It's hard to explain, I guess you have to go and experience it for yourself

I recommend Burning Man

entropie

------------------

alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
entropie, hon...nah, sorry. But then that would have been scary, really scary.
How about Cuz (Michael) and Ben?

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

I know heaps of Ben's Ah, well.. it was a long shot anyways

entropie

Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got ya, Entropie. Thanks

------------------
Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes, because then you're a mile away, and you've got their shoes!

Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No raving for me. I don't like loud music and big crowds. Places that are crowded with people give me the creepies.

Some of my friends are ravers. A couple of them love the music. While the other ones just go to roll, troll, and stroll. Definitely not for me. I'd much rather be around them when their wits are at butter knife level.

------------------
You know, Hobbes, sometimes even my lucky rocketship underpants don’t help. -Calvin

Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

How about a sporty Ben from CHCH with short red hair, and his last name is that of a well known surfwear brand?

entropie, the world is smaller then we think! And especially in regards to lovely NZ - you're not so many people out there!

entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Hmmm.. sporty Ben with short red hair..
Nope.. don't think I know him.. but then again, the amount of people who know me

And hey! We've got almost 5 million people

entropie

------------------

alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

5 Million? Really? I always thought you had about 3 something million...

Just to put it in perspective:
New Zealand and reunited Germany are about the same size. New Zealand has 5 Million inhabitants, Germany has 80 Million.

Oh, how I love you un-crowded wonderful country.

keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, raving... What a topic! I have never gone raving. I think that I am too young, at age 15, to go raving. I'd feel safer, more responsible, etc. if I was older. So... I will just have to wait.

I know some people that rave. Especially my one pal. He raves all the time! He goes for the music and the dancing, but has a bit of drugs here in there. He is beginning to realize that too many drugs can get to your head. He's cutting down. My brother went raving a couple times. He didn't like it at all. He's not really the big crowd type anyway. He belongs in a small bar with a couple beers.

I cannot wait to go raving! I wouldn't go by myself though. I don't think I'd mind the big crowds. I definitely wouldn't mind the loud music part! I love rave music!!! I live for it. I don't think I would take any drugs at a rave. Especially if I didn't know the person that offered to me. People puts some crazy stuff in drugs that aren't supposed to be there. It's also not a good idea to take drugs when you're likely to rise your tempurature, by say... dancing.

Basically, I want to go raving for the music and the experience. Just to try it. I would take in all the important things too. Like taking drugs from people I don't know and dancing in places where the air might not flow so well. I'd take it all in. There's a real nice word for that, but I'm laking in that department today.

Oh... I think the Loveparade in Germany sounds like so much fun! Same with the Gathering. Outdoor raves sound my speed. I'll be in Germany in June, but unfortanetly not in Berlin. And... I'm going with my German class at school. I'll just have to go back then!

------------------
"No day is so bad it can't be fixed with a nap."
--Carrie Snow

"A mistake is simply another way of doing things."
--Katharine Graham

The best website ever: www.evilrobots.com (I am related to the founder!)

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Lin finally knows what a rave is.

The things I learn on Scarleteen.

3 million? That's almost the entire population of Singapore.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
s13_sr20det
Neophyte
Member # 3236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for s13_sr20det     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i hate raving...... all my friends love it. i never do what everyone does, but i go along with them. see what i do is, when theres a big rave coming up i get my parents van and tell all my friends that i can drive them to the rave and charge them $10 a person hehe. usually like 10 people go and being a mama's boy i don't have to pay for gas. so i make a $100 profit
Posts: 6 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.