Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Shaving and Women

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shaving and Women
Daniel
Activist
Member # 2870

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Sorry if this isn't the right forum for this, blame my newbieness )

Okay, I expect that most girls shave their legs, and some might shave more personal areas. But what about when it comes to a girl's face? What do girls do about facial hair, do they just let it grow, or is there some special method for getting rid of it? I know shaving facial hair is a big no-no...

Posts: 105 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you bothered to use the wonderful search function, you would have your answer by now.

Some women do shave facial hair, some bleach it, some wax it and some just ignore it.
It's really up to the individual.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel
Activist
Member # 2870

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I used the search function and came up with 23 threads; I read the first five and they were all about shaving "down there", so it isn't exactly the wonderful feature you say it is. The only topic that I thought might answer my question turned out to be about guys. If I had bothered to use that feature, I'd still be searching and be no closer to the answer. Please consider things like that next time you're about to make such a blunt response Sorry to go on

As for your actual answer, thank you verily

[This message has been edited by Daniel (edited 02-24-2001).]

Posts: 105 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Due to the physiological makeup of biological women most women do not HAVE highly visible facial hair, so they don't do anything about it. If you look at most women's faces in sunlight, what you'll see is what is coloquially called "peach fuzz," a light thin spattering of hair.

Some women have darker hair, and visible moustaches, and some of those women bleach or wax, and others don't worry about it at all. One of the most beautiful women I have ever seen in my life who worked at a great feminist bookstore in Chicago had a natural slight beard and moustache which she didn't do a thing with.

But in general, female facial hair doesn't "grow" if you don't mess with it. It's just a little fuzz that is usually not even visible at all.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think what Lin wanted to say, Daniel, is that women treat facial hair just as other body hair: with waxing, bleaching, shaving or ignoring.
And I bet those methods were all mentioned in the 23 shaving posts that you found.

------------------
"I am capable of, but sometimes not interested in making myself happy."

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daniel
Activist
Member # 2870

Maybe, but pubic hair is different to regular hair that grows on the face and head, so chances are girls treat it different; I doubt many girls go the trouble of shampooing that region!

Thanks for the extra advice

alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
but pubic hair is different to regular hair that grows on the face and head

*checks in the mirror*
*checks in her panties*
*checks in the mirror again*

Woah!!! Oh goodness, thanks for telling me, Daniel! Now I lived with my body for 22 years and 8 months (and at least 10 years of that with pubic hair) and never noticed that.

And FYI - As much fuss as many girls make about shaving their pubic hair (a few months ago there were so many useless, boring shaving posts around that Miz S threatened to rename this place to "ShavingTeen"), I wouldn't be surprised to hear that a heck of a lot of girls actually shampoo and deep-condition their pubic hair.

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 02-24-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and to make something clear, there is not a marked difference between facial hair and body hair (though forensically, the composition of pubic or facial hair because of its root structure is more complex).

The different chemical and hormonal components of all hair differ (in both men and women) between hair on the head, and then all other hair (body, facial, pubic, which relies on adrenal and gonadal androgens for its growth and prevalance, which hair on the head does not).

Thus, given the difference in sexual hormones, this is why most biological men have prevalent facial hair and biological women usually do not, and why men have more body hair than women do, or more coarse or visible body hair -- it comes down to testosterone and estrogen levels.

------------------
Heather Corinna

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...counting the nickels in my coin pocket.

one word: wax

------------------
Kill your TV! And while you're at it, your mobile phone, too.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I doubt many girls go the trouble of shampooing that region!
I do...

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Skin Deep @ Scarleteen.com - Female Sexual Anatomy http://www.scarleteen.com/body/female_anatomy_2.html

------------------
My menstrual diary
Updated as often as my uterus

Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YES NEVER EVER EVER EVER SHAVE YOU FACE GIRLIES!! My sister shaved the little stach that she had on her face, and now when it grows, it grows thicker and darker. BLAH!

You can use bleaches, specially made for your face. Thats what my mom and I use and it works great. You can also use waxes.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BZZZT.

Sorry, but shaving can't change the structure of your hair follicles or the genetics that tell your hair what color and thickness to be.

I get my eyebrows and various other bits of errant facial hair waxed professionally, and I asked my aesthetician about this -- having asked a GP and a dermatologist before. My aesthetician said that she thinks many people *perceive* that the hair grows back thicker/darker because they get used to seeing the skin completely naked, with no hair at all, and then when the hair comes back, as it always does, it seems much worse than it was before in comparison. But she also added that in years and years of working with women's facial hair, she's never seen a woman's facial hair change very much, no matter whether the woman has waxed, shaven, bleached, plucked, or used a lawnmower (just kidding about the lawnmower part). About the only real change is that eventually some women's facial hair will go grey, just like hair on their head or like men's beards/moustaches do.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

To add to that so that it makes more sense, hair which has been on your body for a long time is often lighter than it would be from being exposed to the sun, to lotions and soaps and water, and to the elements at large.

New hair can be darker simply because it hasn't been exposed to those elements, and is often a bit thicker and stronger simply because it is newly-grown. That's why when we get a haircut and cut off damaged hair, the remining hair seems thinker -- it is, because it is less damaged and less old.

You'd find that if you let that new hair stick around for a good long while that in time, it ended up looking like the hair did before you shaved it.

I remember freaking out, because for years and years and years I never shaved my legs. One day out of curiosity I did, and when it started to grow back in, it seemed MUCH thicker and darker, but after a summer or two back out in the sun and the elements, it soon looked normal again.

------------------
Heather Corinna

glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know who told me that? My mother. Shes like ERICA never shave you stach because then it grows darker and thicker like your sisters.

Sorry for the wrong Info. I really have been weird latley.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.