Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » If you could...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: If you could...
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...make a statement about the needs of young people and sexuality, and sexual rights in that regard to the government and the world at large, what would it be?

Yes, it's a hypothetical, but more times than not, I see that most peoiple working in this arena -- like Hanne and myself -- end up speaking for you guys because your voices aren't out there.

So hey -- let's hear it.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oy ... You always pick the hard ones Heather!!

I would say ... education. It's extremely important that people know how their own bodies work and how to fix them if they "break". Sexuality is something that no one should have to find out on their own. It should be taught ...

Just my 2c

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IT is the right of children and young adults to be taught and have access to factual, unbiased health information, and the responsibility of all adults to provide this: parents AND teachers, and community figures like public health boards and religious leaders.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/.
"Is love like the sweet, bitter taste of marmalade on burnt toast?"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
india
Activist
Member # 2550

Icon 1 posted      Profile for india     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i agre with bot u guys.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lemming said it all.

We need education. We need teachers who are trained in sexuality and not teachers who know nuts about that they are teaching and are just repeating word for word from the textbook they were given.

Pet peeve.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and the education shold be open and inclusive. And unbiased.
Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it is essential that the community knows about the GLB. We need people to be taught from an early age that it is perfectly normal and acceptable to feel sexually for the same sex, as it is for the opposite sex. Religions like christianity have conflicting messages. They teach that homosexuality is a sin, yet also that we should love our enemies. Homophobia and related violence needs to be adressed in schools, colleges, and workplaces - everyone has the right to feel safe and be who they are.

Winnie :0)

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, sex ed is very important in schools. Sex ed needs to include safer sex precautions such as condoms and dental dams. (i never heard of a dental dam before i came here) It needs to include STDs and STIs. Reproduction. And reassurance that sexual feelings are 100% normal.

However i do not think that sex should be endorsed at school. So far its not, but no one should be told it is ok or not ok to have sex.

I think sex ed should be lifestyle nuteral. When you are in a sex ed class and sex is only referred to as penis in vagina that is wrong. I think there needs to be a better definition about what sex is that includes masturbation, same sex, oral, mannual ect. But it shouldnt be specificly naming every little thing. Penis in vagina of course has to be brought up for reproduction though.

The teachers need to be unbiased and open to any questions from kids. Especially on a one on one basis.

I also think a good idea would be to give informational packet or something to parents with facts and statistics. My mother would have a sh*t fit if she heard the school telling me that being gay is normal and ok. She believes that if you are a gay man your chances of getting an STD are so significantly higher that telling a kid its normal and ok would be murder.

There should be a social aspect to sex ed as well that would include homophobia, sex in the media and things like that.

Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brdwychic00
Neophyte
Member # 2682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brdwychic00     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I agree with everyone on that sex needs to be taught in schools. But not only do people need to know about the physical things and how their bodies work, but they need to be taught the value of sex. What does it mean to share sex with someone? There are emotional complicationsm that if faced prior to the act, may increase the quality of the sex being had by teens, and decrease the amount of rapes, pregnancies, and STD's. Maybe that's too idealistic, but some kids don't grow up with good examples set for them to show them how to live a full and rich life. All they have is their education.
Posts: 19 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
7of9
Neophyte
Member # 2578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7of9     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is important to learn social skills. If you have the ability of talking to people about private things in a way they don't have to feel offended they will have faith...

Faith is one of the most important things in relations, in sex, in live...

And they will come back and ask...

Posts: 15 | From: Germany | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.