Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Mrs, Miss . . . Ms?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mrs, Miss . . . Ms?
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was younger, I knew that Mrs meant that a woman was married and Miss meant that she wasn't, and so assumed it was similar for men, but no could ever convince me that unmarried men were called Mr too. And I've just noticed that I called Miz Scarlet 'Ms' in another post, and corrected the guy calling about the Toronto Star when he called me Mrs. Am I the only one who finds this title incredibly useful and uses it often, or do others care, too?
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm Ms. Blank, but only when I have to be. I very much prefer being called by my first name.

Although I must say that "Her Royal Highness the Empress Hanne" has a nice ring to it.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hehe .

Well, I don't prefer anyhting. Just call me whatever you want. Mud will do .

When I was in kindergarten, I remember that the title Ms. was kind of a secret. Like, you were keeping a secret as to whether you were married or not. Ahh, the education sysytem.......

------------------
Yeah, well I'VE got blood dripping out of a hole between my legs, do YOU?!?
there is a difference between being stupid and being ditzy. i ought to know

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to remember another option for males. 'Master'?

For younger unmarried males. I don't think its commonly used these days, for obvious reasons. ;p

I can understand a woman not wanting to be judged/evaluated based upon her marital status. I wouldn't, either.

------------------
Ask not why dogs sniff each others butts...
Ask instead why you do not!

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think I know anyone who doesn't call me by my first name, and I would find it incredibly wierd if anyone called me by my surname, but I always tick the "Ms" box when I'm filling out forms. I don't really think that it would make any difference to who I am if I was married or not, so why should I bother to indicate that in my title?
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
live4travel
Activist
Member # 1772

Icon 1 posted      Profile for live4travel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always have this bad habit of calling teachers Ms. When they're married, and Mrs. when they are not married, even though I know the difference. Miss, and Ms. are the same thing Milke, if that was your question. But I think you know that.

------------------
Want to know more about me? come see my little space in the Village People!
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum23/HTML/000036.html

Posts: 116 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a horrible habit of misusing those titles. Suddenly, the women who are unmarried are. It's horrible. So I play it safe and refer to all of them as Ms. It works wonderfuly. They don't mind either.
Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigerlily
Neophyte
Member # 592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tigerlily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mrs. actually comes from Mr. with 's (Mr's) And since an "s" with an apostrophe denotes ownership, why would any woman want that title?
Posts: 9 | From: TX, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Niceguy16, maybe I'm misunderstanding you or something, but I feel the need to say something.
Ms. and Miss are not the same thing. Miss is used to refer to women (or girls) who are unmarried, while Ms. is used to refer to any female who prefers not to let others know what her marital status is, I think. In other words: Miss=single, Ms.=single/married.

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do what DarkChild does. I agree, it works out great. No one minds that I know.

I would put Mrs., or all the correct stuff in writing though. But orally, I say the MS or MR.

------------------
"No day is so bad it can't be fixed with a nap."
--Carrie Snow

"A mistake is simply another way of doing things."
--Katharine Graham

The best website ever: www.evilrobots.com (I am related to the founder!)

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ella
Activist
Member # 1168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was having this discussion with a friend and we both agreed we would much rather be called Miss, than Ma'am. Just as in German we'd rather be called Fraulein than Frau (even though Frau is now politically correct). Right now I'd tick Miss, but I think it's more an age thing than a marital thing. I'd switch to Ms. probably when I'm a little older whether I'm married or not. For me the designations Miss and Ms. just denote different ages while Mrs. denotes marriage.
Posts: 303 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm waiting for the day when my title will be Doctor. No confusion there. Dr. Gumdrop. It has a nice ring to it

------------------
Inspected by Number 26

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's Goddess or nothin', baby.

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I need my conscience to keep watch over me
To protect me from myself
So I can wear honesty like a crown on my head
When I walk into the promised land

Aria of Mayhem

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even when I get a doctorate, I'd never call myself 'Dr.' - simply because I don't want to be at a party and have some guy say "hey - can you check out this rash?".

------------------
You are what you eat?
But I don't even LIKE nuts!

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From an entymolgical viewpoint, I think that you will find "Mrs." is a contraction of "Mistress", from a time when that was a respectable word and did not imply extra-marital conduct.
Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a problem with Ms. cos it's IMPOSSIBLE to say and I'd sound like some kind of mosquito every time I said it - no vowels, aint a proper word in my book. Plus, if I was ever married I'd want the whole world to know.
Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celestial00X
Neophyte
Member # 2437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celestial00X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it's just a matter of preference...although if you are unmarried you wouldn't go around calling yourself "Mrs. whoever" Ms. is just a generational thing that has come about (in normal use) fairly recently, I'm only 17 and I remember never hearing it when i was smaller. I prefer Ms. over Miss, I don't really know why....

------------------
~*Never is a promise and I'll never need a lie*~
~*Scars are souvenirs you never lose*~ :oI

Posts: 11 | From: white plains, ny | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mack
Activist
Member # 2322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When i was in grades k-6 Mrs I always used Mrs for all my female teachers. Most of them were married. Now in Hight School not all the teachers are married or they are divorced so it's just eaiser to say Ms instead of trying to remember who is what ect...
Posts: 41 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, BJade, you may not always feel that way.

Honestly, I absolutely cringe when we get junk mail here that refers to me a Mrs. Brian -----(my husbands last name).

While I am very glad to be with my partner, being identified not as who I am, but as the person married to them with no identity of her own -- and lemme tell ya, he never gets any mail like that with them using my name in that way -- makes me ill and I find it increidibly sexist and insulting, which is why I have my name and he has his name. If and when we have kids, they'll be having both of our names, or some combination of them.

Ms. works fine for me. Miz does, too. But in the best of all possible worlds, I prefer just being called "Heather." I have a name, I don't need an arbitrary title.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 67118 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If my mom gets her way and I become a doctor, then I won't have to worry about what my title should be.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"You have to walk carefully in the beginning of love; the running across fields into your lover's arms can only come later when you're sure they won't laugh if you trip."
~Jonathan Carroll

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got an old cookbook, full of recipes submitted by readers of a certain magazine, and realised that most of the women, when they don't use initials, use their husband's first name as well as last name. Like 'Mrs Joe Brown' or 'Mrs Arthur Clark'. UGH!!! Didn't these women exist by themselves, rather than as some sort of strange accessory?
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's even more disturbing than that is I've seen many, many *gravestones* that say either "Mrs Joe Smith" or "Wife of Joe Smith"
NEVER the woman's name. Grr.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with the doctor people. Heh.

When I was young I always wondered how you pronounced Ms. How is it pronounced?

Well...Miz S...it's hard to get out of calling you Miz S. I don't know why.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. is pronounced "Miz."

And you can have twenty doctorate degrees, and if you get married, you'll STILL get Mrs. John Smith mail.

But only if you're female, because you know, only women get the sheer pleasure of being seen as their husbands' property.

Gee, am I bitter?

Posts: 67118 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would you rather be called Heather?

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Its the best feeling in the world to know that somebody loves you more then anything in the world! *~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

LOL, sweetie.

I don't have a problem with "Ms." It is being called Mrs. So-and-so that gets me irked.

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They'll still call you Mrs. even if you're a medical doctor? That's odd...I know that when the introduce couples where the guy is a doctor it's "Dr. and Mrs. ____", and I've always heard couples where the woman is a doctor introduced as "Dr. and Mr. ____" or "Mr. and Dr. ____".

And I know what you mean about it being weird when women use their husband's first and last name. At work, I used to see alot of older women who had that on their credit cards and signed that as their signature. That would be really strange to me, kinda like completely giving up your identity. Although I dunno...I have a friend who is from India, and her middle name is the same as her dad's first name, and when she gets married, her middle name will be changed to her husband's first name. I don't think I'll really be bothered by taking my husband's last name, but if I have to take anymore of his name than that...well you may as well just brand it on my butt or something so then you could tell who I belonged to, but there'd be no messy paperwork to fill out. But then that's just my opinion.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"You have to walk carefully in the beginning of love; the running across fields into your lover's arms can only come later when you're sure they won't laugh if you trip."
~Jonathan Carroll

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<--copy-editing nerd, here...
Apparently, in print, one should follow these guidelines.

From the Associated Press Stylebook:
"courtesy titles Refer to both men and women by first and last name: Susan Smith or Robert Smith. Do not use the courtesy titles Mr., Miss, Ms., or Mrs. except in direct quotations, or where needed to distinguish among people of the same last name (as in married couples or brothers and sisters), or where a woman specifically requests that a title be used (for example, where a woman prefers to be known as Mrs. Susan Smith or Mrs. Robert Smith.) In cases where a person's gender is not clear from the first name or from the story's context, indecate the gender by using he or she in a subsequent reference."

Personally, I feel that they should be dropped altogether, and I'd like to question any woman who would rather be known as Mrs. Robert Smith than by her own name. Ugh.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/.
"Is love like the sweet, bitter taste of marmalade on burnt toast?"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing I dont like is my teachers calling me Ms. (last name) thru out the whole school year, I even tell them (politley of course) if they will call me by my first name.
It just feels more comfertable. I dont mind nicknames, I love when my boyfriend (or friends) call me by my nickname(s).

Maybe when Im married it will be different. Who knows?!

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Its the best feeling in the world to know that somebody loves you more then anything in the world! *~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.