Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Holiday Happies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Holiday Happies
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since so many people seem to get the holiday crabbies, I thought I'd share some of my holiday happies.

My partner will be out of town on Yule this year, so we exchanged our small gifts last night. To my great surpirise, he'd gotten me a book I've wanted for a decade, but couldn't justify paying the high cost for -- a perfect verison of all the full reproductions of William Blake's illuminated books (he was my main study and passion in college). It's so incredible, now I just have to find a safe place for it! He also found me a beautiful black velvet and floral silk piano shawl.

I got to give him what I'd been cooking up for months: a bunch of hand-illustrated coupons for various silly things, including a series of tango lessons (since seeing The Tango Lesson, he's wanted us to have some), complete with a luscious french-cuffed shirt and pewter cufflinks so he can look all swanky when we go (and a backless red dress for me so he can have a hot date). He was elated.

AND I finally found what I'd been looking for for Miz Hanne the other day, as well as two copies of the videotape I'd wanted to send to two friends of mine with children who have faerie fixations (The Secret of Roan Inish, a fantastic John Sayles film about selkies).

It also looks like my mother and her girlfriend will be able to come up for a few days over the holidays, which is wonderful. They haven't been up here since I moved from Chicago, and I know my mother will go nuts over all the antique shops, and her partner will love an old piano bar here with an 80-year-old lounge singer.

Hooray!

Plus, when shopping for my book, my partner overheard two of the booksellers taklking about a story in an erotica anthology they thought was fabulous...and it was MY story. Whoohoo! Ah, ego-strokes.

Merry, merry to all of you. And if you get crabby, step back. Take some time alone, remember the important stuff (like that the holidays do only happen once a yea, thank goodness).

Posts: 68164 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heather, great to hear your holiday happies. - The Blake book sounds fab - I always crave special editions of books (or complete editions of my fave authors) that I love as well but never dare to buy them for myself...And Tango lessons for your parnter...woohoo..what a great present! I am sure you'll both have a great time. Tango is pretty hard to learn, but once you got into it...it's irresistable. My fave dance, really. It's actually not only a dance..it's an ideology, a way of life... Anyway, I hope you get what I wanted to say.

So far, no holiday happies for me yet, but everything should be better from tomorrow on, when a friend from overseas drops by to stay for a few days before I head home on Friday to join the rents for the usual Christmas Celebrations. Town is packed with people doing last minute shopping and its really hard to stay calm in the midst of all the rush...this time of the year it's really a drag to live right downtown.

Guess I should simply take some time out from everything tonight....sip some tea, meditate..and let everything move through me, and not against me.

Wish you all peace of mind.

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.
Go inside Alaska's head...

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 12-18-2000).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i hate holidays. i guess you could say im the sister of scrooge. i am not happy on any holiday or birthday and have been that way as far back as i can remember. everything goes wrong for me on or around the holidays. i just like the peiods of the year where there is not holiday or birthday.

------------------
fairykoger@hotmail.com

http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/koger

Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*hugs unhappykogar* I can relate!!

Ever since i was little, i've highly disliked christmas. It's always a war as to who i will spend xmas morning with. For two years now, i've had xmas morning w/ dad. However, now i live w/ him and i don't think it would be right if he were alone on xmas eve and morning But I know it's hard on my mom and sis b/c i've only been gone for a few months ... It's hard when you know a war w/ your family is about to happen, and yet you have no choice but to walk right in the middle of it. Also when you know there's a good chance you're the cause of all of it

Other than that ... I'm going to my bf's house for the wknd before xmas (next wknd!) to spend time w/ him and his parents. I don't have one single present bought, but i know what i'm getting most people. I'll get fuzzy pyjamas for my mom and sis, a degu and sweater for my bf, some jam and tea things for his family, and that's as far as i thought ... lol I need some ideas for daddy hehe

Okiez well i'm bored so i'm gonna go look around the rest of the boards ... woohoo ... yay me

~ Smurfy

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the holidays. I get to see all my family in Washington. Except the dysfunctional ones who believe they are too good for the rest of us. I can't stand them...Anyway. And there is snow. And snowboarding. Aaaah. My 6 year-old neice gets to see her Auntie Cay, and my brother supplies me with art supplies to create works that would make an angel weep. Okay, so I am gloating...but I am talented.

I get to see my grandmother. Technically, she's really not. She is my dad's step mom, but she's the one I love the most. I don't know why.

Oh yes. Did I mention snow? The beautiful, white serenity of it? How it seems to hush the world? And how it NEVER EVER EVER snows here on Christmas? Aargh.

------------------
"If stupidity kills, then why aren't you dead? Obviously stupidity is a survival trait" -P.K. Dick

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just can't not be happy during the holidays. Nothing can bring me down. For example, I missed my bus last Friday, and seeing as noone was around, I walked 1+ miles home, through unshoveled and icy sidewalks. While signing Christmas carols all the way .

Today I finally finished my Christmas shopping. I dared to buy some clothes for my Mom, and got the perfect gift for my best friend. And we're supposed to get a a great big snowstorm soon! Hooray!

I can't really put a finger on why I love the holidays so much. Sure, the presents and food add a definite plus . But I don't know, maybe it's a sense of finality for the year, the new beginning, the feelings of togetherness, or being with friends of family. Either way, I just love everything about the holidays .

------------------
Yeah, well I'VE got blood dripping out of a hole between my legs, do YOU?!?
there is a difference between being stupid and being ditzy. i ought to know

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm shopped out. uggh. *falls over*

------------------
Someday, I will have a sexy car...a very...sexy...car!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoy the holidays because it means that my semester is over, and I have some (well-deserved) time off before it all starts over again.

I'm at my sweetie Allan's right now, and we've been having a lovely time cooking (made homemade french onion soup tonight, which was lovely), lying around in bed reading, and otherwise avoiding the winter wonderland.

On friday we head to my mom's house for Christmas, which will be an adventure, considering the weather. Hopefully we'll make it there in one piece!

I sent all my holiday gifts out before I left last week, and so far people seem to be enjoying them, which is nice.

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.