Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Down Days

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Down Days
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monday is generally the one day I take off after doing some basic checking up on things in the morning.

As I started to plan my day off, it made me wonder what everyone else does on theirs? I know you don't all work, but I think of going to school as a job as well.

Today, typical of my down days, after I'm done here, I'll go make a pot of tea and have a cup and sit with my dog before I do some yoga and meditation -- usually on my day off I do my longest and most challenging set. Then I use my focus (and my endorphin high!) to do some cleaning up around the house, tend to the animals, walk the pooch, and clear off my desk from the week's debris.

Then I usually draw a nice, long bath, bring another cup of tea in (I have a South American roasted Mate for this week), grab a book I'm reading (on today's menu is a psychology text about the dangers of RMT theory and the last chapter of a study of serial rapists) and settle in.

Afterwards, if I'm feeling energentic, I grab the dog and hop down to my favorite local coffeeshop (which is utterly ridiculous - they sell Oreos by the cookie and actually serve Dinty Moore stew on the menu, but they make a great cup of coffee, nonetheless), then over to the used bookstore or CD shop. If not, I start cooking a nice dinner for my partner and myself when he gets home, which is probably what I'll do today since it's so darn cold. I have a bunch of peppers and olives in the fridge, which I think I'll roast and bake with some spinach linguine, homemade marinara and tofu sausage. Yum.

Ah, a day off. The more you work, the more you appreciate them.

So what do you do with yours?

Posts: 67145 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
live4travel
Activist
Member # 1772

Icon 1 posted      Profile for live4travel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well since it's my day off from school and I'm pretty lazy. I SHOULD be doing the homework I didn't work on much that was due today, but instead, like usual. I'm online chatting, listening to my music on Napster, and going on here. But I do think I'm going to leave after I get done with this..or shortly afterwards. Just so I can do that homework that is really important, especially the project! That's my day for ya! lol :P
Posts: 116 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
negative*nancy
Activist
Member # 877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for negative*nancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to catch up on "me" time, and just be myself - in my jammies of course.

I'll curl up with my cat to watch TV and take naps in the afternoon on the couch - and revel in the lack of responsibility

Now that I knit, i'd probably do some of that, too...

Posts: 361 | From: toronto, ontario, canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, generally Saturday and Sunday are my down days. Those wonderful days where I don't wake up till 10 or 11, and spend most of the day in my pj's. Those are also the days where I get to indulge in my secret passion...I love to read! I really don't have alot of time for it during the week, but the weekends are mine! I read really really quickly, somewhere around 200 pages in an hour, so it's not unusual for me to read 4 or 5 books in a weekend if I don't have too much homework to do. If I feel like trying to be productive, then I'll clean up my room, or go do my laundry. I used to make Saturday my shopping day, but since I wrecked my car, there have been no trips to the grocery! Anyway, so that's what I normally do on my off days!

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"If it is your time, love will track you down like a cruise missile."
~Lynda Barry

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 78

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bettie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My schedule changes from week to week with certain activites set in stone so I don't plan my days off much because I am never quiet sure when they will be. What I usually do is this. Each mornign starts the same. Log on to the computer and check some stuff, answer my email, drink water, feed the cat. On a day off I go to the gyn early so the rest of the day will be free. Sometimes I clean the house, do laundry and other domestic things. Then in the early evening I might go to the movies with my spouse. We also like to puttter in bookstores and if he is willing some clothing stores as well. If it is more of a stay at home day, then I like to rent a movie and make something yummy for supper.

Not very exciting is it?

------------------
Louise Lalonde
-Scarleteen Sexpert & Volunteer du Jour

"Glad to have a friend like you,
And glad to just be me"
-Carol Hall

Posts: 1060 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to spend time with my boyfriend, just hang out at his house or mine and snuggle on the couch and pop in a good movie with some popcorn!!

Or if hes working and Im all by my lonesome, I just hang out and watch soome TV, or hang out with friends and go out to lunch

I just like being LAZY on my day off, it feels good!!!

------------------
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~
*~*~12/3/99*~*~*
"The first time I saw you, I knew that I would fall for you, & now that were together, our love will last forever!!" -By: The person I LOVE MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THIS WORLD!!

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually everyday after school, I have an hour and a half alone. That's when I watch a movie, nap, do homework (sometimes), take a bubble bath, or talk to my friends online. I can do whatever I want because no one is home!

Sundays are down days, sometimes. I take a bath, nap, etc.

------------------
"No day is so bad it can't be fixed with a nap."
--Carrie Snow

"A mistake is simply another way of doing things."
--Katharine Graham

The best website ever: www.evilrobots.com (I am related to the founder!)

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spend most of my time in comfy clothes, watch a movie, talk on the phone, or check the scarleteen boards (i do that even when i don't really have time 4 it) I haven't had one of those days in a while but it's ok b/c this weekend i'm hanging with my crush

------------------
http://beam.to/anode2ryan *My Ryan Page*
"Don't go in the teepee without a condom on your peepee"~Dumb & Dumber

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Down days? That is not in my vocabulary. I am so busy all the time, especially with Jobies. But I do take down time. Which is spent snowboarding....
Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
monday was a down day for me. the electricity went out for about 4 hours. could not study. could not talk to people, could not go online. could not even cook dinner or dry laundry. instead, i sat on my futon with a glowstick around my neck and some candles burning. it was nice to relax, but it sucked 'cause i was bored out of my mind.

------------------
Someday, I will have a sexy car...a very...sexy...car!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femalepleaser
Activist
Member # 637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Femalepleaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monday, i snuck over my gf's house and spent the whole night there staying up talking and kissin eachother then watched a movie and was tired the whole tuesday.

I was basically up for about 40 hrs then had a nice long 9 1/2 sleep and it all started on monday!

------------------
If you love what you do you'll never work a day in your life!

Posts: 86 | From: CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarryRedhead
Activist
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarryRedhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, down days, I haven't had one in so long I forget what I do on them! If I know I have a day off I like to get up early, take a shower, spend longer than usual beautifying myself, I put on all my lotions and gels, then perfect my make-up. Then I do my nails and hair, get into something comfy, usually pajamas of some sort. Light some candles and incense, put on perfume. Then I make something good for breakfast or go to the store right up my road that sells yummy fresh goodies. Go online and check my e-mail. Write in my diary. Work out. I sing a lot, practice all my voice exercises, sing my favorite songs. Clean, I actually enjoy making things clean. Listen to music, play video games, especially my RPG's.

After all of that I'm usually bored, and at that point I'll probably call my boyfriend and ask if he'd like to electrify my boring day. If he's busy I'll call my best friend and we'll do some bored people things, like go to a movie. This sounds nice.....I'm looking forward to my next down day!!

------------------
}{*Starry Ali*}{
"You flicker. And you're beautiful. You glow inside my head. You hold me hypnotized, I'm mesmerized..."
My Webpage-Alisons Life

Posts: 367 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.