Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » vive la france

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: vive la france
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my boyfriend is planning on studying in paris this summer. he told me this over the weekend, and then asked me if i would come visit him. whoa. paris. us. wow.

i'm so excited.

hope i can fit a week in paris into my summer plans. i have summer school, too, plus i have to study for my MCAT (med school admission test) in august. but wow. the very idea of it.

------------------
Maurice! Bring in the albinos! muwahahahahaha!!!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paris? Oo la la! J'adore le Paris. Vous devez aller!

Are you going to go? You should, or at least for a bit! I have always wanted to go to Paris. Oh, I am so jealous!

------------------
"No day is so bad it can't be fixed with a nap."
--Carrie Snow

"A mistake is simply another way of doing things."
--Katharine Graham

The best website ever: www.evilrobots.com (I am related to the founder!)

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohhh, Paris is absolutely amazing! I would say definately go if there is any possible way you can, I went a couple of summer's ago, and I can tell you, you'll love it! It's incredibly romantic. I think my favorite parts were: (1)Versailles, (2)that 2 mile(I think it was 2 miles) walk that goes past all the bridges, and (3)the Eiffel Tower (of course). I can't wait till I can go back! You should seriously go!!!

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"If it is your time, love will track you down like a cruise missile."
~Lynda Barry

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to Germany over the summer with my German class. I am so excited! Has anyone been there? Is it really amazing?

------------------
--Carrie Snow

--Katharine Graham

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deegurl143
Activist
Member # 353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deegurl143     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my boyfriend lived in germany for awhile (cuz of military) and he speaks highly about it. sorry that's not much help, but if you ever go to japan or taiwan, come back to me and i'll help you there .

------------------
**Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted**

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
JaMeS & DoReEn 4eVeR
^*^*^*^^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Posts: 269 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@ Keoki;

Whereabouts are you going in Germany? Being German myself, I am probably a little biased...But most of my friends from Overseas liked it over here (more then me, actually) I reckon it is actually a good place to visit - lots of history, castles, cuckoo clocks.
Let me know if there is anything you want to know...

@gumdrop girl

ah...Paris....... wonderful.....

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.
Go inside Alaska's head...

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoo hoo! Germany!! Hehe. Sorry. Third generation German here. And Norwiegen. And I can't spell. Oi. Paris? Wonderful!! My AP class just finished learning about Versailles. It was built by The Sun King, Louis XIV. He built it as a fancy prison. All the nobility were required to spend atleast 6 months there. They had to do exactly what Louis wanted. And it was orginally a hunting lodge for the royal family. We had to compare that with Spain's Escorial. That place is depressing. It was a monestary and a mausoleum, among other things. And in a scandal 80 years ago or whatever, some guy sold the Eiffel Tower for scrap metal when it was questioned whether or not to keep it up. Way to much knowledge

------------------
"If stupidity kills, then why aren't you dead? Obviously stupidity is a survival trait" -P.K. Dick

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Alaska, I am going to Munich and the Alps. We're going to see castles and stuff. I can't wait!

------------------
--Carrie Snow

--Katharine Graham

alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Keoki - Munich (and all of Bavaria, I might add) is just what people imagine Germany to be like - Lederhosen, Beer, weird hats. It's like Germany in Disney Land . You mentioned that you will see Castles - I assume you'll visit Neuschwanstein, right? It's pretty amazing.....(and just a *little* kitschy & over the top. Do you know any more details about the trip yet? How long will you stay? Wish I could travel this winter....

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd love to see France - to do a tour of the famous bits, then maybe head over to some of the old battlefields.

But then, I'd love to see most of the world!

Anyone wanna hitch-hike through central Mongolia?

------------------
Armistice, deicide, timbre, ineluctable, salacious.
All these words can be yours! Purchase a Dictionary™ today!

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Alaska...

I have all kinds of details. The website is here: http://www.acis.com/trips/tripfound.asp?Code=MAA
It's nine days, and you know what? It'll be my first flight and first trip without my parents!

alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

@keoki - That looks like a very good, versatile trip to me! - I am sure you'll like Munich and the Castles and Salzburg and everything....Rothenburg ob der Tauber is very very pretty - very medieval, even McDonalds has got a wrought iron sign at the entrance. The Criminal Museum is very strange - you get to see all the stuff that was used for torture. Good that you'll also be visiting Dachau - while it's probably not going to be fun, it will definitely be a good learning experience...And Salzburg - yeah.
When exactly are you leaving for Germany?

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.

alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

oops, sorry - you said next summer, right? Lots of time to look forward to the trip!

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.

keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Alaska- It's so far away from now! I can't wait until June! The other thing that I can wait for is that I want to learn more of the language. By the time the trip comes around, I'll have German I completed. Oh, I can't wait!

------------------
--Carrie Snow

--Katharine Graham

alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Hi Keoki,
if you ever want to practice your German, just email me and we can chat through icq in German
And trust me....the next few months will fly by, now that you've got something to look forward to!

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.

Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, you're all making me homesick! I lived in Germany for a couple of years when I was in my late teens... that'd be considerably before the Wall came down, by the way. I'm not so fond of Bavaria, personally, but love most of the North -- Hamburg is a great town, and I've enjoyed myself in places like Hannover and Braunschweig and in the Harz mountains, too.

And Salzburg's fabulous. I have been several times in the summer for the Mozart festival at the Rezidenz. I love Vienna, too, but I think that Vienna was a little intimidating until I had learned to speak German fairly fluently (and even then everyone teased me about my Berlin accent) and could "pass" well enough to fit in and not look too much like a tourist.

Ah, Germany. Land of good bread. I miss that. It's hard to find really good bread in most parts of the US, unless you are a home baker.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Hanne- My German teacher says that all the time! She talks about Hamburg all the time too. She loves it there.

Alaska- I might email you sometime to practice my German. What's your address?

I can't wait to go to Germany! It'll be so fun. Even though this one girl I don't really like is going, it'll be great! There is no way she is going to ruin this great oppertunity.

I got stuff about my trip in the mail today. Mostly when the next payment is due, but oh well. It's got stuff about how to get ready too.

By the way, what is riding in an airplane like? It'll be my first flight, and overseas!

------------------
--Carrie Snow

--Katharine Graham

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you never really truly appreciate Bernoulli's Principle until you get on an airplane.

------------------
Someday, I will have a sexy car...a very...sexy...car!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes, bread. I haven't been to Germany, but the bread in Holland was just marvellous- coming back to Australian bread was torture, I tell you.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Yes, I agree with you, Hanne, I prefer the north and especially Hamburg as well (basically because I was born up north, know a zillion people in Hamburg and because the nightlife is about the best you can find in Germany except for Berlin). I think that it's easier to appreciate the south on first sight than the north - simply because the south is just like the Germany that people expect (Bier, Schlösser, Lederhosen *lol*) while the north has got a less obvious (read: not-jump-in-your-face) beauty.
Generally speaking, I reckon that almost any place can be beautiful if you get to know it and have people there who make you feel at *home* (which can be a little difficult over here because I reckon that Germans - woohoo, big generalisation- are not always open and easy to get along with).
How did you manage to get a Berlin accent, Hanne? - You must have lived there for quite a while then! Do you actually say "Icke" instead of "Ich" ??
I agree with the good bread thing - I just love the bakeries over here and good bread was always one of the few things I missed when I lived in another country for a while.

@keoiki - alaska@opendiary.com and looking forward to hear from you.

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 12-03-2000).]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.