Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Kierkegaard's Guide to Breaking Up:

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kierkegaard's Guide to Breaking Up:
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey, i updated my profile. well, signature. i figure after 200 posts, i should say something different. blargh. i am exhausted. i hate my physics class. my professor talks in maths and buzzes like a fridge. a friend of mine is wandering around morocco. i wish i were wandering around morocco. oh well. here's to another night at home reading kierkegaard!

Kierkegaard's Guide to Breaking Up:

If you are a Knight of Faith, and your defining commitment (i.e., significant other) has left you, you must internalize your memory of him or her and resign yourself to a life without them. Henceforth, no one will bear the same level of importance to you. You have transcended lower immediacy (infatuations, lusts, crushes). You are independent. Your priority now is to answer to what is ethical. You do right. You save puppies from the animal shelter.

You build walls around yourself and are completely inacessible. How can the Knight of Resignation live like this? This isn't living. What a load of bollocks. Kierkegaard should know plenty of love and breaking up, as he ditched his fiancee, too, for no apparent reason.

Maybe I need to ditch class more often. This is getting to me.

------------------
if you get the molasses, i'll set up the trampoline.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LMAO!

Oh, honey, that was good. Thank the gods that I haven't had to touch the old Knight O'Faith himself since college.

You have my sincere sympathy, but clearly, you don't need it. You found a modern application of Kierkegaard, and that in and of itself is practically miraculous.

Posts: 67994 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't quite understand the post, now that I think about it I don't get the sig either. So, what's up with the molasses? Can it be used as a substitue for chocolate syrup and whipped cream or are you trying to get a bug collection on your tramp? Okay maybe I shouldn't shorten trampoline...

Brittany

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the sig is whatever you make of it.

the post itself is about the definition of faith and how one can achieve true faith and identity.

Read Kierkegaard's 'Fear and Trembling' for more information

------------------
if you get the molasses, i'll set up the trampoline.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.