Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Pregnancy Scares » clarification (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: clarification
Star18
Neophyte
Member # 110225

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm new to this and wanted some clarification from you all. Me and my boyfriend had intercourse in April. We did use protection. I got my period afterwards when I expected it to come on. It was the typical period for me, heavy flow with cramping.. After that period we had oral sex in which he ejaculated.. I went to the bathroom and washed my hands and that was that.. Could pregnancy still have lasted through my last period ?
Posts: 19 | From: East coast | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope. It is not possible to have a period and be pregnant.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9186 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure I'm understanding what you are asking about per the inclusion of the oral sex, as oral sex is not an activity that can create a pregnancy.

Can you make more clear for me what you're asking so I can be sure to give you the information you want? Thanks!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68164 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star18
Neophyte
Member # 110225

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had manual sex, in which he ejaculated. If he possibly got any ejaculate on his hand and touched my vagina could that pose a rise of pregnancy?
Posts: 19 | From: East coast | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check this out: Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass On an STI From That?

In a word: nope, that is not an activity which poses any realistic risk of pregnancy. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68164 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star18
Neophyte
Member # 110225

Ok.. And from what i understand potter bodies are not like machines so sometimes our periods vary on when the best one is expected.. How often does this occur and why?
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You got it. We can't always say for sure why a period is late, but this article covers the most common reasons: M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 9186 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star18
Neophyte
Member # 110225

Ok. And I've noticed lately that before I'm about to start my period i will sometimes get a bad headache, bumps which i call period bumps, and i will start to sweat in my private areas.. Is that unusual or does everyone have different symptoms?
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Headaches before the start of a period are fairly common. I am not sure what you mean with bumps, though?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

Star18
Neophyte
Member # 110225

On my face.. I call them period bumps because that seems like the only time I really start to get them..
Heather
Member # 3

Oh, acne. And hormonally-triggered acne.

That's very common for many people with and around periods.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Star18
Neophyte
Member # 110225

I'm sorry if i wasn't clarifying good enough.. What about the sweating??
Heather
Member # 3

Have you yet looked at our piece on the menstrual cycle? If not, it's here: On the Rag: A Guide to Menstruation.

You can also look at this elsewhere to get a picture of what these and some other common experiences people have with PMS or periods can be: http://www.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/premenstrual-syndrome/print.html (You'll find information like that about a third of the way down that page.)

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Heather
Member # 3

This all said, if you are sexually active, which it's clear you are, it's time to start getting sexual healthcare -- like pap smears and pelvic exams -- anyway, if you are not already.

Your OB/GYN, whoever they are or will be once you start that healthcare, is a great person to talk with this stuff about, and can absolutely work out with you if any of these issues you have been having are nothing to worry about and just related to your period, which they probably are, or not.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Star18
Neophyte
Member # 110225

I've scheduled a appointment for a pap smear but I'm some what nervous about it cause it will be the first time I've had one..
Heather
Member # 3

Okay, so have something else for you on the main site then to get started with: Your First Gynecologist Visit.

[Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Star18
Neophyte
Member # 110225

Ok.. Thank you so much.. If i have any more questions i will post them on this thread
Heather
Member # 3

Happy to help. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Star18
Neophyte
Member # 110225

So a recap.. Pregnancy can't be possible if I've had a period with heavy bleeding and cramping? 2) there us no pregnancy risk when doing manual sex and ejaculate is on the hand and accidentally touches the vagina? 3) our bodies aren't machines so purr periods vary.. And 4)i have nothing to worry about when it comes to the pap smear.
Heather
Member # 3

What determines if pregnancy is possible is if someone has engaged in the activities that can cause it.

However, people get periods because, literally, because, they are NOT pregnant. And you saw from that link which risks what activities cause, so you've got that, too. And yep and yep. [Smile]

Per the pap, though, and the rest of the exam, know you can always talk first to the provider about any concerns you have, including if that concern is just that you are scared of the exam. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Star18
Neophyte
Member # 110225

Ok.. Thnx a lot again..
Star18
Neophyte
Member # 110225

When counting how long a period last, do you count from the first day you start seeing blood to when you don't see any blood?
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. =) We also have a good article about charting periods, with some links to other online resources, if you want more info on how to do that: http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/heather_corinna/2009/09/17/its_smart_to_chart
Posts: 1337 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star18
Neophyte
Member # 110225

Oh.. So you do count the days after when there is still spots of blood?
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will count the last day you see any blood as the final day. So if, say, Monday you have really light spotting and Tuesday you don't see any blood at all, then Monday's your last day.

[ 05-02-2014, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Molias ]

Posts: 1337 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star18
Neophyte
Member # 110225

Never knew that. Ive been stop counting on day five.. So my period last seven to eight days..
Star18
Neophyte
Member # 110225

The only was a person can become pregnant from ejaculate is if the male ejaculated directly onto the vagina/vulva?If ejaculate is on the hands and the hand touches the vulva/vagina the female cannot become pregnant right? Because it's not direct genital to genital contract.
Heather
Member # 3

Have you read through some more of this information on the main site yet, Star? If not, can you first take the time to do that? Thanks! [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Star18
Neophyte
Member # 110225

Has to be genital to genital. If ejaculate is on the hand and then placed on the vagina pregnancy isn't possible because the environment of the semen is disturbed..
Star18
Neophyte
Member # 110225

I just wanted too make sure I understood it right?
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a great article that might be helpful to understand a little bit more about how sperm cells work:

Who's Afraid of Sperm Cells?

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 417 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star18
Neophyte
Member # 110225

Ok.. So genital to genital with ejaculate = pregnancy risk
Ejaculate to hand to vulva/vagina = no pregnancy risk.. Just impossible..

Star18
Neophyte
Member # 110225

I got it?
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You got it.

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 417 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star18
Neophyte
Member # 110225

Thnx.. You all do a great job at what you do
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.