Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » I'm worried I'm gonna lose her...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm worried I'm gonna lose her...
Proud-And-Loud
Neophyte
Member # 53532

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Proud-And-Loud     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in a realtionship with a girl who has been raped (i'm a guy). and I'm worried I'm going to lose her emotionally..

Here's the back story: She was raped by her father for 8 years and it went through the court and her father was sent to jail and now she's getting counselling for it. She's been in couselling for nearly 3 years. We've been best friends since we were kids and have been dating since she's started her counselling.. We've never been physical at all other than kissing because it makes her uncomfortable and she now has a selibacy pledge. and I'm absoloutley dedicated to helping her in any way I can. We're really open with each other and talk about everything. But in the last 6 months she's started getting more and more detached from everyone.. and now the only time she really leaves the house is when she goes to see her counsellor. All her friends are really worried and I'm even more so..

Is it something I might've done? or is there something I can do to help her? I'm so scared I'm going to lose her because she means the world to me..HELP!

Posts: 6 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breath
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear P&L

It must be very difficult for you to experience this and it sounds like you have been very understanding/supportive. It's common for people may times to blame ourselves for other person's action but please be asssured that in IMO, there is little if anything you or anyone else did to 'cause' this behaviour change from her.

Sometimes we may just have to give someone theri space and let them know that we are here to help them and check in periodically.

[ 01-24-2011, 03:54 AM: Message edited by: breath ]

Posts: 347 | From: US | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proud-And-Loud
Neophyte
Member # 53532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Proud-And-Loud     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your advice =] It's releiving to know it's not something I did. I'll try your advice =]
Posts: 6 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd not jump to the conclusion that her behavior is because of something that you did. She's been through a lot, and it can take a long time to heal from sexual abuse.

As long as she is still seeing her counselor, and in touch with you and her friends, I'd agree with breath that for right now, it's best to just give her the time and space she needs.

I understand that that can be really hard to watch, and to deal with. Being the partner of an abuse survivor is not easy. Do you have any support in this? Anyone you can talk to?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9186 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd agree that it's likely nothing that you have done, but if your partner is never leaving the house except to go to counseling and not really interacting with people then it may be time to worry. Not worry that you have done something, but worry that she is in a depressive state.

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proud-And-Loud
Neophyte
Member # 53532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Proud-And-Loud     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
September- yeah I do have support, I go to a support group for partners of abuse victims. And it worries me because she's not talking to her friends and she always talked to her friends before no matter how bad she was.. I've really been trying to give her space, she asked me to move into the spare room (we live together) because she needed space and I've been in there for 6 months now.. I've tried talking to her counsellor and telling him whats going on but it really just seems to be getting worse. She seems to be loosing her apetite and only eating one meal a day, she's not seriously loosing weight or anything but she has lost a bit of weight and she's already a slim person so it worries me a bit.
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If she's refusing contact with her friends and losing her appetite, then I agree with Andy that it may be time to worry that she is in a depressive state.

You say you have spoken to her counselor before to let him know. How did he react? If you don't feel that anything has changed since then, it may be a good idea to contact her counselor again. It sounds like she may need more intensive treatment, such as an increase in the number of therapy sessions.

Is there anyone else you consult in this? What about your friends mother or siblings who also know of the situation and might be able to talk to her, or consult with the therapist?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9186 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proud-And-Loud
Neophyte
Member # 53532

Joey- The counselor seemed to think it was rather normal for her to be like this. I've decided I'm going to call him again before her next session so I can explain to him that she seems to be getting worse.

And not really, her mom passed away back in 2006 and she's an only child. I've talked to her aunty who she lived with for a while but they were never very close so she cant really give any advice. I've also talked to my mom about it and she's been really helpfull helping around the house with cooking and things so I know that the meals she is getting are really healthy and full of protine so she stays healthy and talking to her becuase I thought she might talk more because she's female and they might be able to relate better, and she does talk to my mom on and off she goes through phases I guess you could call them but my mom wont tell me much about the conversations because she feels that they're private. So I'm sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place in that respect.

I know this might sound bad, but I'm ready to just cave in, I'd never give up on her but I dont know what else to try..

N
Neophyte
Member # 20990

Icon 1 posted      Profile for N         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If she's having progressively more depressive symptoms, and everyone she knows is seeing this (not just you), and the counselor is acting like everything is fine, *she might need a different counselor*. Sometimes the first counselor someone tries just doesn't work out for them.

I have no advice on how to get her to consider this, as in my experience severely depressed people generally don't want to make the effort to find another counselor.

Posts: 37 | From: USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proud-And-Loud
Neophyte
Member # 53532

Okay I'll suggest that to her and see what happenes. Thank you so much for your advice =]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.