Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » abusive father

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: abusive father
michan
Neophyte
Member # 44481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for michan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My father has been abusive to me for the majority of my life. As far as I remember he's never actually done anything physical though.
But he's left me really emotionally scarred.
It started so long ago I don't actually remember when it did start. But I remember him constantly teasing me, and talking about my weight because I started gaining weight when I was younger(probably because of him.)
He's done this sort of thing to me my entire life really, he's said some really horrible things to me, in an indirect way he's called me stupid and fat, but I still remember the worst thing he ever did to me. I have that day implanted in my mind, and I remember it as if it were yesterday. Even now, every now and then it will play like a movie in my mind reminding me of what he did.
It was my day to go see him since my mum and dad are divorced, we were going to a store and I had some tic tacs with me. He told me to leave it in the car and I meant to but I closed the door before I put it down so I stuck it in my pocket and wasn't going to take it out of course. My dad started yelling at me and asking me what I had said, I repeated what he had said about it almost word to word. He said that wasn't what he'd said.
He forced me back into his car and drove to a little back alley hospital and told me to read the sign that read "Hospital" on it.
He told me that he was going to take me in there to have a brain transplant because of what I'd done. I begged him not to, I pleaded and pleaded and asked him to give me another chance, I was crying the whole time too, I did this for what felt like forever. He eventually told me that if I didn't smarten up he would take me to get the transplant. I pleaded to him some more until he finally drove away from there. I was no more than 7 or 8 years old and it was such a horrific experience that I can still tell you in detail what that hospital sign had looked like. I could tell you the surroundings and pretty much every detail about that time, and to this day I can't go past that road with out feeling pain.
He's done smaller things like this to me for my whole life.
He's humiliated me in front of his girlfriend and her son who I loved very much. He also called her son a faggot for wearing her shoes one time, I called him on it and we got into a fight.
He wouldn't talk to me for a month, he then went to Japan for a month and when he got back I was visiting him and his gf and I said a general hi to them. That night when I asked to go home he yelled at me telling me everything I'd done wrong that day(which was pretty much nothing but he made it long and drawn out) and that I hadn't even said hi.
After it was all worked out he acted as if nothing had happened.
I eventually got sick of it, which is why it will have been 2 years since I've last seen him next February.

--------------------
~Mi-chan

Posts: 34 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like keeping him out of your life right now is probably a good plan.

Is there specific advice you're looking for from us? Specific questions or resources you need?

I also want to ask if you've ever gone into therapy to talk about this. If not, I'd consider it, but do be aware that many therapist have a bias towards preserving family relationships, and may push you to talk to him. If you do want therapy, I'd encourage being very up front about not wanting to talk to him, so that you can find a therapist who's supportive of that.

Other than that, do you have other people or friends who you can talk to about it? How's your relationship with your mother?

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michan
Neophyte
Member # 44481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for michan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, for me this was one of those things that I just needed to kind of get off my chest(if that makes any sense)

I have been to therapy and have sort of changed to another person, not because the first guy wasn't any good but because the second guy knows a lot about my situation because my mother goes to see him
and my father was just as horrible to her.
So he knows all about my father and me and kind of what's been in my past.

--------------------
~Mi-chan

Posts: 34 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.