Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » In need of ADVICE!!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: In need of ADVICE!!!!!
PaperFlowerz
Neophyte
Member # 42300

Icon 5 posted      Profile for PaperFlowerz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I was sexually assulted over five years ago, and didn't tell anyone for a few years. I have been attending counciling for the past year. I have made HUGE steps to healing. My last counciling appointment my counsilor appraoched the subject of me not coming anymore, as I have made lots of progress and such. This is a two part question.

One, I do agree with her for the most part. I feel like I dont need to go see her twice a month anymore, and over all I am much much better. But for me, I am afraid of not going to counciling anymore because I am afraid I will just never talk about the assult again, and it will get barried all over again, and my old anger and sadness that came with never acknolwedging it will pop back up when I have worked so hard to be able to acknowledge it. I dont feel like I need to talk about it on a daily basis or dwell upon it, I just dont want to over time stop acknowledging it again... I know this sound...slightly crazy, but I would like any advice on how to deal with this or thoughts on it.

My second question is I feel like I still sometimes get angry over stupid things that dont really matter. Each time it is to do with my stuff or space. I know it has to do with respect, power, and boundries. But I dont know how to fix it. I talked to my councilor and she seemed to indicate I would just get over it over time...but I dont think thats the answer. I know it will get easier over time, but I am wondering if there is strategies or something that can help me. I get so angry over stupid things to do with my stuff or my space, and I know they are things that really dont matter, but inside I am so mad...and then I get more upset cuz I know they are pointless things to be frustrated about, but I dont know how to be less mad about them.

Other then these two concerns I feel like I agree with her about not needing to attend counciling anymore, but I just dont know. So any advice on these two things would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and what I am sure will be productive advice.

Posts: 2 | From: Vancouver Island | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one thing about counseling is that it really needs to be on the terms of the person seeking help. If you don’t feel that you’re quite where you need to be in terms of ending the counseling sessions, then that’s something you’ll want to bring up to her and really talk out with her. While she can suggest that she feels you’re ready, she can’t read your mind, so until you express to her that you’re not feeling quite there yet she won’t know. But know too that even after counseling, talking about the abuse is something that happens on your terms as well. When you have a friend you feel you can trust and you just need or want someone to talk to, you can turn to them. In the same, others that may go through something similar may need help, and you can offer pieces from your own experiences to show what worked for you and how far you came from that help and support. As well, it’s something you’ll talk about with partners to make boundaries as per what you’re comfortable with. So while you may not talk about it, it doesn’t become any less real by not talking, it’s still a part of your past. And it doesn’t sound crazy at all.

When you get angry about your personal belongings or personal space, is this something that happened after the assault? I ask because it’s likely having someone enter your personal space without your permission could have impacted this a lot. Sometimes we do become angry, and the best way to work with that is to find what works for us. For instance, offering the use of something you know someone may borrow without asking. I had a shirt my sister always borrowed, so one night when she was going out I handed it to her and said “Why not wear this tonight. It would look great on you.” And I wasn’t upset about it anymore because I let her borrow it. And in the same, have something you think when you do become upset that calms you. Like thinking to yourself, “It’s okay, I don’t need to worry about that.” As well, set up boundaries ahead of time and let people know them. Say what you’re not okay with so they know before they do something that upsets you. Boundaries are important; it’s just about knowing which battles to pick to fight. And if it’s something that’s really bothering you, feel free to bring the subject up again with the counselor so she knows it’s really a big thing for you right now.

PS: Welcome to Scarleteen!

[ 03-05-2009, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: Stephanie_1 ]

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaperFlowerz
Neophyte
Member # 42300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PaperFlowerz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for your advice. I think that it a good point to remember. Just because I an not talking about it, doesn't mean its not real, or that it didn't really happen. It IS still part of my past to be shared with who I feel safe doing so.

Yes, I did become angry/frustrated with personal belongings/space after the assult. Before I was much more layed back. One more question...do you have any suggetion for how to calm myself down once I decide "not to fight the battle" because often I decide this but then I stew about it internally for the whole day. Its like I know its not a big deal, I wont say anything because its not worth mentioning, but I still inside feel upset and angy. Any tips???

Posts: 2 | From: Vancouver Island | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried different relaxation techniques? Like spending some time on yoga or meditation when you are feeling upset like this? Sometimes it's easier to clear our minds of things bothering us when we're also spending time releasing tension and anxiety with our bodies. Also, finding an outlet simply in something you like to do, such as drawing or writing, taking a walk, or even singing your favorite song. Sometimes releasing anger and frustration can take some time as per finding a good outlet, but once you've got one you'll find it's easier.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.