Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » Issues linked to your abuses and/or rape

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Issues linked to your abuses and/or rape
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good deal of people coming here on the boards have been in abusive relationships and/or have gone through abuse by relatives or others.

Those events can have a negative impact on us and our life and cause us to experience different issues after, be it, for example, low self-esteem, having troubles asserting our own boundaries/limits-not being assertive, not having a positive body image, being suicidal, engaging in auto-mutilation or other self-destructive behavior, problems with intimacy, having problems trusting people or opening up to other people, dealing with PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder) or depression, drug or alcohol abuse, what have you.

What were the consequences of your own abuses and/or rape ? What issues do you feel that your abuses and/or rape have led to ?

How have you overcome those issues (or how are you still trying to overcome them in the case those are still issues that you are dealing with) ?

Do you personally feel as though those are things that can be worked on and get better with time and support ?

[ 02-15-2009, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: cool87 ]

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atm1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 37835

Icon 1 posted      Profile for atm1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I want to answer the last question first: I absolutely believe that things can get better overtime and with support.

So, some issues and how I've dealt with them:

A bit too much drinking:
In the first year after my rape and abuse, I definitely drank more than I should have (one or two nights a weekend I got more than a bit tipsy), and I did this to feel comfortable being around other people. Alcohol allowed me to be in physical contact with others without freaking out/getting flashbacks/etc. One of the best things I did to deal with this was get new friends. Friends who drank alcohol like responsible adults and who wouldn't push more alcohol on me than I really wanted. Also, once I made the link between what happened and my behavior, it got a lot better. Now, I'm a one or two glasses of wine with a nice dinner kind of drinker.

Flashbacks/Panic attacks/PTSD Symptoms:
I definitely had a lot of problems with PTSD symptoms that year, as well. The biggest thing that made a difference was building myself a community and environment where I felt really safe. The new friends were a big help in that, and so was moving away from my freshman year roommate. Turning my own world into a safe space for a while and letting myself be okay with not being okay made a huge difference. Also, I believe that time alone helped a lot too.

Difficulty with trust and intimacy:
These issues were in many ways the most painful to deal with, because they really affected not just me but my partner too. It took a lot of long talks for him to be okay with the idea that while sometimes I was not okay doing things sexually, that really had very little to do with him. We worked through many things as a team, always talking through every decision. He demanded enthusiastic consent before any activity (or waited not just for me to initiate something, but really, really, really want it).

Feelings of worthlessness:
I was told again and again by my abuser that I was unlovable and so terrible that no one else would want me. I definitely internalized that. I did a lot of things that I knew would get me external praise (academic perfectism can come from places like these). But really, working on this is something else I did with others. My (nice) exboyfriend said to me flat out that I could not be unlovable because he loved me, and I had no right to deny his feelings. That was really powerful. I also had some great friends who would tell me how good of a friend I was and how much I meant to them. My partner asserted my worth and value every day.

Almost all of those issues are better now. Every once and a while, I'll still get a nightmare or two, and there are a few sexual activities that I'm just not okay with. But I've come a very, very long way in three years.

Posts: 2262 | From: in transition | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cool87
Activist
Member # 29292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cool87         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for sharing atm1 ! :)

--------------------
Sustain Scarleteen by donating
http://www.scarleteen.com/donate.html

Posts: 3598 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.