Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » play dillema

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: play dillema
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theatre group is going to be putting on Hysteria, by Terry Johnson, and there's an age appropriate part for me. There are so few opportunities to be on stage here in this country that I just like to grab any chance that I get. The play is basically what happens when Salvador Dali meets Sigmund Freud, and I like the idea. I've never read the play, but it apparently has a really comic side to it. The role I would be auditioning sounds challenging...

Why am I saying all of this? Despite all of the above, which sounds great to me, the play has a much darker side to it... apparently the girl I would be playing is the daughter of a sexual abuse victim, if not one herself. She's desperate for Freud to help her, because her mother committed suicide despite years of treatment. Something I read said that "the play goes into descriptions, often graphic, of youthful sexual abuse."

I've gotten severe panic attacks from seeing rape scenes in movies, but reading about them I can tolerate. And being in character... well, that's not hard, it's not like I don't live with it every day. Maybe this would help me get in control of my emotions somewhat, but I'm worried that it might make me feel worse... and I don't know if I want to be reliving it and possibly having to cry on it on stage for a few weeks. Then again, saying it out in public, with no one to stop me, no one to tell me I'm crazy... it's not an unpleasant thought... And then I thought; I want to study theatre. Chances are, I may have to do something like this somewhere along the line. I guess I should be able to handle it...

In any case, I'm only auditioning, and even though there's a good chance I could get it (not that many girls my age in the theatre group it's not for sure, and I guess that what I could do is to let someone else audition first and let me watch, see if I can handle it. I haven't read the play in any case, I don't even know how explicit it is... I'll just arrive early at the audition.

I don't know. I don't know what to do. What do you think?

[ 10-23-2007, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Nailo ]

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ASargent42
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ASargent42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In case auditions haven't happened yet, definitly try readinbg the show first. That will at least give you an idea about what your character has to go through. Then you can take it from there.

Good luck, in any case, and break a leg!

--------------------
Amanda
Scarleteen Volunteer

Help us out- Donate!

Posts: 1152 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plain milyeh
Activist
Member # 32511

Icon 1 posted      Profile for plain milyeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
reading the script=never a bad idea.
Posts: 108 | From: caaaaanada. ('cause we've got rocks and trees and trees and rocks...) | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.