Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » get over it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: get over it?
Nailo
Activist
Member # 26390

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nailo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you ever really get over sexual abuse? I mean, really really, to the point where you can watch a crude rape scene in a movie and be unaffected, to the point where it never makes you cry anymore?

Because I just got a major panic attack because of a rape scene in a movie today, I had to call my mother to pick me up from school. She got mad that I can't bring myself to not fall apart "if I wasn't even raped". That the people who are in their 50s and still get teary about their abuse are "not the people I want to grow up to be like".

I can't believe this is true... is it?

Posts: 410 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to say that I sincerely doubt that it is.

Certainly, as time goes on -- and I mean quite a lot of time for most of us -- things get a bit less triggering, and/or we learn to manage triggers better.

However, any human being is going to develop a sensitivity and compassion when they have suffered a certain way, or the reality of a given kind of suffering has become incredibly plain and undeniable. To suggest not only that we not only could remove that sensitivity but should is, IMO, a pretty dangerous thing to suggest. It's one of the ways that makes any of us more compassionate with everyone as a whole.

If you talk with people who lived in the south when lynching was common, very few people who saw someone be lynched (or knew someone who was), and were able to feel and experience what an atrocity that was will tell you that seeing images of that again still hurt, a lot, and still are painful. Concentration camp survivors are not just visiting the sites of the old camps with dry eyes and somehow miraculously impartial or wiped hearts. Expectating anything like that is a pretty outrageous expectation, and again, were you to ask most people in those situations if they'd prefer to be immune to feeling pain at those images or sites, most would say no.

I don't want to rag on anyone's partner, but I'm willing to bet your mother's guilt -- and her simply wanting your pain to end -- is probably a bigger motivator for her to suggest that than anything else. That's obviously very understandable on her part, but it sounds like she's got her own issues when it comes to dealing with your abuse that she hasn't dealt with herself, or needs to deal with a bit more.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.