Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » New boyfriend, new ways?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New boyfriend, new ways?
sweetangel6988
Neophyte
Member # 21123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweetangel6988     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, its been a long time since i wrote but i love u guys so much i decided to come back.
Ok so ive got a little bit of a problem now, not to big but enough to have me ask for help. See ive got a new bf since last time i posted that im really in love with! Hes a fantastic guy that i love to be around. Hes sweet, charming, and knows what to say at the right time, but u know everyone has to have a dark side right.
Well his is his drinkin problem! He practically drinks all the time, he used to be worse but ive already talked to him and got him to slow down a little, but im only one person and cant make him stop completely. Hes not abusive when he drinks or anything hes just controlling which is a HUGE turnoff.
See hes already controlling enough b/c he tells me all the time who im allowed to talk to and who im not, who im allowed to be friends with and who im not. It makes me mad but most of the time he says hes just playing. I dont want a kind of relationship like that where im being controlled or feel like it.
My question is am i really being controlled or am i crazy, and should i change my life for someone i love if he really wants me too?

Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!

Posts: 20 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the behaviour you're describing -- his telling you who to associate with, for instance -- IS abusive behaviour. Control IS emotional abuse.

What I'd suggest is that you move on. A emotionally controlling alchoholic is NOT a good choice for a partner, and flatly, until he gets off the sauce, you don't even KNOW this guy, because addicts aren't the same people they are when they are NOT addicts.

If he's ready to quit drinking, on his own, full-stop, or enter into a program and suddenly truly stops behaving the way he has been, there might be hope.

But otherwise? You've hooked up with a lost cause, honey, and you'd be wise to cut your losses, take a pass and move on. Sorry to deliver a giant buzzkill, but these sorts of things never end well, and very, very rarely get better, and even then only do when the person in question wants to fix their lives by themselves, FOR themselves.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor & Founder
ST homepage • ST blog • about Heather & Scarleteen

Posts: 67158 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.