Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Abuse & Assault » In love with a Jerk

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: In love with a Jerk
Sedi Tlugvi
Activist
Member # 21797

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Sedi Tlugvi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arg, this rather difficult to explain. I've been dating my boyfriend for roughly 9-10 months, and I do love him. The problem is, he can be one of the most hateful people I've ever come across. Especially to my friends who he teases and harasses like there is no tomorrow. Very recently my best friend, who he isn't fond of at all, began sitting with us at lunch. I can honestly say that he brings her self estime far down when he ridicules her.
Today we got into a fight at lunch, he and I, over said way he treats my friends. He basically told me that he would treat them anyway he chooses, which pissed me off a great deal. I told him that he had better stop his s**t because I was on the verge of breaking up with him. More or less he told me to eff off, which pissed me off even more that he didn't even care.
Now he's giving me the silent treatment, probably contemplating breaking up with me.
I know I've probably portrayed him badly here, but the fact is, he can be a really sweet individual. It's always seemed the positives outweigh the negatives. But now I'm honestly frightened that I may lose him (bad habits and all =P).
Advice? Thanks =)

Posts: 75 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being verbally abusive is...well, abuse. Not a "bad habit."

So in short? I'd stop making threats about it and dump this guy. You're hard pressed to find anyone without SOME good qualities, but that doesn't mean you need to be with a jerk just because they can be nice sometimes.

And moreover? At this rate, this guy is likely all you'll be left WITH in your life, given his treatment of everyone else close to you. Not a pretty scenario, especially since abusive people tend not to discriminate: what starts with your friends will move to you. In fact, it sounds like you see shades of it already.

Get out, babe.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor & Founder
ST homepage • ST blog • about Heather & Scarleteen

Posts: 67996 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.