Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Having Chat with others about personal info

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Having Chat with others about personal info
breath
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read about a posting that a volunteer made about doing pre-relationship negotiation instead of "Falling into a relationship-type of situation" with lot of ambiguity and unclarity.

I thought it was really great idea.

I also realize that at some level, I am a bit embarrassed to reveal someone (i.e. someone I'd be interested in) that I never have had any long-term dating relationships. I don't like to use the word dating or boyfriend, but these words have the shared meaning in our culture. Perhaps I can say that I never had a long-term romantic relationship but I'd like to focus on things that I do Have instead of what I don't or haven't experienced.

Is there any easy way to share that info about ourselves? Or is it necessary to be able to share info about our lives (even those that aren't deem hot or popular or cool by pop modern culture) as a pre-req to having authentic connections with others?

Posts: 357 | From: US | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kachina
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kachina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I have done this with my relationships, and there were still things I didn't reveal about myself as well as things my partners didn't reveal to me right away. You don't have to share more than your comfortable - think of this relationship negotiation as an ongoing thing rather than something that only happens once. When you feel more comfortable, you can choose to share more.

--------------------
~Kat
Scarleteen Volunteer

Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, "We've always done it this way." I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise. - Grace Hopper

Posts: 876 | From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OhImpecuniousOne
Activist
Member # 110155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OhImpecuniousOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah... I don't think there are many things that you're obliged to share with your partner. I do think that a sign of a good relationship is feeling comfortable enough to tell your partner pretty much anything - but that doesn't necessarily come at day one. After all, trust and intimacy are things you build over time in a relationship, they don't just spring out of the ground. [Smile]
Posts: 116 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breath
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breath     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much. Well said! [Smile]
Posts: 357 | From: US | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.