Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » A question about relationships in general

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A question about relationships in general
Meryl Anne
Activist
Member # 93859

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Meryl Anne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I'm 17 days into my breakup. I'm quite happy so far and weathering the ups and downs pretty well. I'm not actually sure this should go here since it is a general question about relationships. If I must move it elsewhere, please let me know.

I just saw a motivational picture with an old couple that stayed together for 65 years. It said "How did we stay together for 65 years? We came from a time when the attitude was to fix something when it was broken, not throw it away."

I'm just curious. Does anyone feel like this is an attitude everyone should have about relationships? And is it something missing from younger generations? Is it a bad thing that I ended my relationship?

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atonement
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 42492

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atonement     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I really don't feel that that mindset is healthy.

It's very similar to my mother, who prides herself for sticking with my father for over 35 years, despite the fact that she's been physically and emotionally abused, controlled, belittled, manipulated, and shown no respect.

I think maybe there is something to be said about just not "going on to the next one because he/she is more physically attractive". However, i think that in real relationships, this isn't the issue as often as the couple having real and sometimes irreconcilable differences.

Posts: 444 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People can be in jail for 65 years, too, and we don't say that's some kind of achievement.

I'm being a little snarky, I know. But the amount of time people choose to continue a certain relationships simply often tells us very little about its quality, especially if and when people feel that the longer they stay in something, the better, as far as cultual ethos and standards go.

That couple on the poster probably wasn't a real couple, but if they were, and truly, nothing was horribly broken, and the repairs they needed to make as they went through life were makeable and wanted, the relationship was wanted, and they liked each other and wanted to be together, then by all means, yay for them. But, like Atonement pointed out, if the situation was one like a longtime marriage or relationship was for her mother, that's tragedy in my book, not time for cheering.

Some relationships in our life -- and not just one kind: not just marriages, for people who marry, or romances, but friendships, family relationships, working partnerships, community-building, etc. -- usually will be ones that go on a long time, that we mutually choose to invest in and sustain. Others won't. But like any investment of something very big -- and our lives, our hearts, our time, these are all big things -- what we invest in, and how much we invest isn't going to be the same for everyone, and we won't make big investments every single time we have the opportunity.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meryl Anne
Activist
Member # 93859

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meryl Anne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the responses! My instinct when it comes to thoughts like these that make me question myself is to break it down logically. It can be rewarding, but it can also be time consuming. That being said, I have found both answers to be helpful.

I also went back and read some old posts. It occurred to me that perhaps ending the romantic part of my relationship with my ex may be the best thing to do to save the friendship part of it. It's good to remember that being his girlfriend is not the only way to be with him in this lifetime.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.