Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Age of consent question - England

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Age of consent question - England
Helenarth
Neophyte
Member # 94181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Helenarth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey. So, I'm 16 and my boyfriend is 14. Yeah, I know. Trust me when I say he's mature enough, we talked about it so many times to make sure he was okay with us being in a relationship/having sex, as I couldn't really get over the preconceived idea that 14 was way too young. Anyway. The age of consent in England is 16. So what I want to know is - if we have sex, and he's underage - what could be the legal implications, and how do they arise? For example, say we have sex and then he regrets it, can he charge me? Or if one of our parents finds out and then decides they don't agree, could I get into trouble even if my boyfriend doesn't want me to be charged? In other words, who needs to do the accusing and how do they actually prove anything? Do you get excused if the younger partner seems mature enough (providing they're not like 10 or something)?

I ask because my 15 year old friend is in a (healthy, loving) relationship with a 21 year old, and social services got tipped off. He wasn't charged with anything as their parents were both completely supportive and the couple said it wasn't a sexual relationship, and seemed mature enough.

Thanks so much! [Smile] Also, I'm new here, so while I think this is the right section, sorry if it's not...

Posts: 1 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In general, with age of consent laws, anyone can do the reporting when they think or know they have been broken. And the person under the consent has no influence with these cases or issues because they do not have the legal right to consent, so them saying they gave consent is legally meaningless. Same goes for a younger partner's maturity: that isn't usually taken into account.

So, yes, he could report you and choose to press charges, so could his parents: anyone could report this.

basically, you need to know that however you may feel about these laws, if you or anyone else is ever breaking what they are in your area, then a crime is being committed which the person committing it could always potentially be reported and/or changed for.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.