Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Why am I so jealous?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why am I so jealous?
artsy123
Neophyte
Member # 77253

Icon 1 posted      Profile for artsy123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So...I admit I have a jealousy problem. Ive been with my boyfriend for 2 years now and I really do trust him and love him but I tend to get bothered by every girl who he appears to be flirting with or when my sister walks out practically naked (which she tends to do a lot) or when he says a girl is pretty, etc.

I dont know what it is that makes me get so upset...I'm guessing its mainly insecurity because I cant think of anything else...but I just wish there was something to do that would help me be a little less jealous. I hate how I get mad at him for no reason which makes both of us upset and I really wish I could make that stop.

Any advice? I think I explained myself well enough?

Posts: 5 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you fill me in a little on how you feel about yourself, by yourself, and then yourself in the context of this relationship?

For instance, do you feel secure in this relationship, like, for instance, whatever agreements you and your boyfriend have made about exclusivity are agreements he'll honor? Do you feel like he values you? Does his choosing to be with you, rather than others he also finds attractive (and you probably have some folks you have found attractive besides him too, right?) is meaningful to you?

And when it comes to you, by yourself, do you....well, think you're awesome? When around others, can you appreciate them, however different or similar they may be to you, or are you more inclined to see others as in competition with you for something?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68255 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
artsy123
Neophyte
Member # 77253

Icon 1 posted      Profile for artsy123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do think he'll honor agreements between us and he definitely values me...which is mainly why i dont understand why i get so jealous.

And I'm not just some silly teenager in love with love, he's my best friend and I trust him more than anyone i know, I really think my jealousy problem is seated in insecurity towards myself.

And to be honest...I kind of think I do see others as in competition with myself....like when girls are talking to him I feel the need to prove to him I'm better than them...yet I dont generally feel I'm better than them myself. I tend to end up hating all the girls hes friends with even though I can clearly see theyre good people ...I dont want to be like that because I really dont want to be see as that jealoous crazy girlfriend by him or anyone else....I'm just having a hard time changing the way I feel

Posts: 5 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.