Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Age difference

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Age difference
Lyndwards
Neophyte
Member # 73854

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Lyndwards     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My sister is dating this guy she has been dating for a year and a half. He is about to turn 18 and she 17 is it legal for them to still date? They have had sex. The reason for asking this is because our mother like to threaten us with stuff an I know this is going to be one (by informing the authorities ) I figured it would be considering they have been dating for so long but I just wanted to make sure?
Posts: 1 | From: Tx | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrightStar171
Peer Ambassador
Member # 64549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrightStar171     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The age of consent in Texas is 17, not 18. If your sister is 17, she is legally old enough to make her own decisions concerning who she has sex with, according to Texas law. (If you need to look it up, you can find the law in the Texas penal code at section 22.011. There's more detail there.)

It wouldn't have been relevant how long they'd been dating, though- the only thing that matters is how old each of them is, the age difference between them, and whether or not they're married.

To be clear, it would ALWAYS be legal for them to date - what would be illegal, if she were under 17, would be for them to have sex.

Also to be clear, the people on this site (including me) aren't lawyers, so if statutory rape laws are something your sister is really concerned about, you should probably suggest that she talk with someone locally- if not a lawyer, then at least a local counselor who's familiar with the law.

Posts: 100 | From: Virginia, USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.