Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Relationships » Keeping in touch

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Keeping in touch
wordnerd25
Neophyte
Member # 58644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wordnerd25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I'm a freshman in college, and the school year is almost over. I've been going out with a guy for two months, and we just made it official about a month ago. I really ******* like this guy. The problem is, we live about 2000 miles apart in "real life"--there's not really a possibility of seeing each other over the summer. How can I keep my relationship with him alive and well until we get back? What are some creative ways of keeping in touch?
Posts: 29 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MissMomo
Neophyte
Member # 65400

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissMomo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been in an LDR - nowhere near as long distance as yours, granted, as we could still travel to see each other, but I totally understand how frustrating it can be when you just want to see them there and then! I think Skype is a great way of keeping in touch, whether you have a webcam or not. That would be fantastic of course, since you could physically see each other, but even if you don't, you can physically talk to each other for free. A lot of laptops have a microphone built into them (when you sign up with Skype, they make you do a voice test, which is how you can tell), but if not you can get mics for your computer for fairly cheap.

Another very creative way of keeping in touch is letter-writing. It's something of a dying art now, but I love it. If you're creative, you can draw pictures and even send gifts and/or photos along with the letter. Then of course, there's always Facebook, MSN and/or the phone. Don't knock them. The best thing for keeping a relationship alive and healthy without being able to see each other is communication, so make sure you set aside some time to have a good chat. Work out when you're both free during the week - it's summer, so if either of you are going on holidays or just want to set time aside for seeing your friends, leave room for that. Separation can even mean that your relationship will be even better when you go back to college; you won't be taking each other's presence for granted and with any luck, you'll be super-excited to see each other.

Posts: 7 | From: Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.